Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Divergence Projector- A New Video

Default Low Divergence Projector- A New Video

I just uploaded a new video reviewing my latest projector. I use only pairs of diodes, PBS combined and driven quite hard; 2.4A for the 9mm 445nm diodes and 1.55 A for the P73 diodes. This allows a lot of expansion prior to the scanner and very tight beams. I even have to telescope the Laserwave DPSS output to bring its divergence below 1/2 mrad to match the other two beams. The output is sent through an EMS 8000 scanner with the intermediate sized mirrors (minor axis mirror=8.6mm) which gives a clear aperture of 5mm. I run the scanner @ 42K and square up the projection to about 25 degrees (I miss estimated in the video), but even when spread to about 35 degrees horizontally to fill the screen the performance is nearly identical except for some doubling of redrawn lines in some of the test pasterns.

The color of the combined beams is a little to the blue of balanced white, but pretty close. However, the video does not seem to pick up the red very well. The asymmetry of the red spot 1/4 mrad x 1/2 mrad produces a small amount of halo on the horizontal lines that is not captured at all by the camera, but it is there when you get up real close.

I am very happy with the system and am now just waiting for the Saturn(s) to appear to run the two projectors head to head. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMonZHMTra4

Great video, now I know what to base my next project off of. Is that a 100mm lens after the spatial filter?

The lens is a 100mm after the blue and 75mm after the red.

great video. my design is real similar to yours. I'll post the pics in my thread.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this is fantastic. can you post a schematic with beam paths and optics?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I just uploaded a new video reviewing my latest projector. I use only pairs of diodes, PBS combined and driven quite hard; 2.4A for the 9mm 445nm diodes and 1.55 A for the P73 diodes. This allows a lot of expansion prior to the scanner and very tight beams. I even have to telescope the Laserwave DPSS output to bring its divergence below 1/2 mrad to match the other two beams. The output is sent through an EMS 8000 scanner with the intermediate sized mirrors (minor axis mirror=8.6mm) which gives a clear aperture of 5mm. I run the scanner @ 42K and square up the projection to about 25 degrees (I miss estimated in the video), but even when spread to about 35 degrees horizontally to fill the screen the performance is nearly identical except for some doubling of redrawn lines in some of the test pasterns.

The color of the combined beams is a little to the blue of balanced white, but pretty close. However, the video does not seem to pick up the red very well. The asymmetry of the red spot 1/4 mrad x 1/2 mrad produces a small amount of halo on the horizontal lines that is not captured at all by the camera, but it is there when you get up real close.

I am very happy with the system and am now just waiting for the Saturn(s) to appear to run the two projectors head to head. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMonZHMTra4
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Planters ..... WOW !!!!!!

Love your work !
    Official "vag burner and big ass ION laser" fan club member

Very impressive Eric!
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    this is fantastic. can you post a schematic with beam paths and optics?
    Yes, a list of lens FLs would be awesome.

I don't have a convenient, single schematic for the dimensions and the lay out, but it should be pretty obvious how the light flows. The important numbers are the deck, which is 12" x !8" x 3/4". The prisms are from lasertack, the optics are from Edmond Optics and the mirrors are from Thorlabs. The cylinder expansion pairs are -50mm rectangular and +100mm round for both the red and blue beams. The green telescope is 2.5x the red is 1x and the blue is 1.33x.

Thanks Eric, that helps a lot