Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety-concern with the "Shutter" on LS-Pluto IIs / Venus... and a DIY solution...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect.. Those 'chinsy' k-switches would be the next-thing I'd nix / swap out for a nice 'EAO' or C&K...And, yeah, the 'scan fail' is, well.. That.

j

well I don't know exactly what components he uses, but he does have them variance / cdrh approved....
    he even has a manual for them.....
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Lightspace is correcting this I'll let them update on it when its time.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Lightspace is correcting this...
    \O/ ..Thanks for your efforts / comms with them on this..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Some pics lightspace shared. This is one of the options it is toying with for a shutter. Use of a modified scanner in a blanking style config for shutter.

http://shup.com/~picasso/ligtspace_shutter_design.jpg
    http://shup.com/~picasso/ligtspace_shutter_design1.jpg

Some pics lightspace shared. This is one of the options it is toying with for a shutter. Use of a modified scanner in a blanking style config for shutter.

http://shup.com/~picasso/ligtspace_shutter_design.jpg
    http://shup.com/~picasso/ligtspace_shutter_design1.jpg
    what projector is that? Its TINY.

Lightbulb

...pics lightspace shared. This is one of the options it is toying with for a shutter. Use of a modified scanner in a blanking style config for shutter.
    Cute, but.. No way that will pass muster with CDRH.. It's (actually, imho..) worse than the 'slow stepper', since it even-more-so relies on power + signal to function properly, and - probably even worse, still - tied into their (observedly..) flakey 'scan-fail'.. (You should *not* be able to get any system to spit out a static beam, just by touching the galvo mir, w/ Zero scan-sig's applied, sorry..)

..IF there's some sort of 'spring-back to fail-safe closed' position, on loss of power / signal, then.. Maybe.. But, there's a good reason the CDRH approves the shutter-components they-did / do.. (GM20s, (and I'm sure 'VRADs' would also pass with flying colors..) Lucas Ledex's, etc, etc..) Sorry, but.. a -powered- Blanking Galvo is not a proper shutter... Defeats the whole idea..

j

PS - Thanks for posting the pix...

drm916, The new mini projector is the LS-RGB-700 with Red637nm 170mw, G520nm 120mw, B445nm 500mw, PT-30K

dsli_jon, It does have a spring(s) the guts are changed just using the scanners housing. No power, no signal beam is blocked.
    Last edited by Picasso; 10-23-2014 at 05:20.

...It does have a spring(s) the guts are changed just using the scanners housing. No power, no signal beam is blocked.
    ..Sounds promising, but.. ie: If someone - here - were to try and get this 'Cert'd on their-own', they'd have to supply explicit-details on the 'response-time' data for such an 'unknown component' to get it approved... And - more importantly - how does it perform in 'real life'? Any idea of it's 'snap-to-close' rate? GMs, VRADs, and Ledexs' are pretty doggone quick... a 'subjective comparison' vs the Vid-clip I posted of the mini-Ledex would suffice, for now..

..Honestly, tho, I don't know why they just would not either 'go Ledex' (..they're *not* that bloody-expensive, certainly in quantity / wholesale pricing to an OEM..) or 'clone the things', for pete's sake.. they do everything else.. Even if the spring is 'snappy enough', I'd also be concerned - long-term - with an 'unknown component'.. I *know* I can count on a bajillion-cycles from a GM20 or Ledex, etc.. These 'fakalvos'? Dunno.. So, keen to get data / hear about 'testing' / MTBF, etc..

Thx for doin' the 'follow-up' on this, with them... Remember, it's all just about 'keepin the Man off yer back', while playin ball safe / smart...
    j

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

pardon my ignorance, but why is a shutter even necessary on a solid state build.

lightspace lasers have a case interlock, a key switch that can only be removed in the off position, and e-stop connector that prevents their units from powering on.

what does a shutter add? i can see a value for ion systems, but if main power is relay controlled why do you need a shutter?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

More than once I've seen a Chinese projector blast a momentary (split-second) full power beam out the front when a) ILDA cable is disconnected while unit is powered on, and b) when power to the unit is switched off. Presumably, a mechanical shutter would prevent such emission.