Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safety-concern with the "Shutter" on LS-Pluto IIs / Venus... and a DIY solution...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    More than once I've seen a Chinese projector blast a momentary (split-second) full power beam out the front when a) ILDA cable is disconnected while unit is powered on, and b) when power to the unit is switched off. Presumably, a mechanical shutter would prevent such emission.
    pangolin's qm.net *always* shoots a static beam during power up/down (this is crazy to me), but what's the difference between remembering to open/close the shutter vs. remembering to turn the projector on after the qm.net is powered up and off before the qm.net is powered down?

none of my projectors do a hot beam on power on, but i can see a shutter being necessary if the projector does.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

There's no remembering to open/close a shutter, it's keyed off the interlock signal and spring loaded. Closed by default.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    There's no remembering to open/close a shutter, it's keyed off the interlock signal and spring loaded. Closed by default.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

ok. that makes more sense. if it's keyed off the interlock signal and the dac/software is smart enough to handle it...

a lot of the projectors i've seen don't do that. they just have a key switch to open/close the shutter.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    ...they just have a key switch to open/close the shutter.
    ..And that's - actually - a better way to do it.. Rationale being, with a by-default spring-closed hard-shutter, it doesn't matter if an AC-transient causes a 5V spike thru modulation-lines, or if that horrible-idea DMX-board you shouldn't have in your pj hiccups and spits out a beam - a key-sw / Operator-controlled hard-shutter is a *guarantee* that the Pj is not gonna spit out photons, till you're 210% sure all is 'safe' and ready for firing...

..and, imho, the 'best way', is to have 'both' - relay-gated control of yer shutter via software, tied-thru Interlock loop / E-Stop, etc, but *that* is gated by a keysw... Which only You, the über-responsible Operator controls.. ...Ya know, great for when you've gotta go refill yer tequila-flask, and you don't wanna risk the 'DJ's GF' being able to kick-out photons out of yer 50W RGB off yer APC-40 whilst yer away.

...It's just - again, imho - a really-great, cheap / easy to integrate, and Totally-CYA 'insurance policy', and they turn the CDRH into putty in your hands.. Plus, if you really read the current Regs / *what sections* of the IEC standards they said laser-products could be more 'in-harmony with', it does not specifically negate thier spec'd-need for a shutter (..or an emission indicator, for that matter..) because they've basically said "Demonstration Laser Products" (..and, yes, they 'define' PJs, as-such..) are exempt from any 'IEC-standards-based interpretations' / relaxing of the requirements..

..Read here: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/De.../ucm094361.htm ... see under Section 2, "Guidance" (..and just ignore thier typo Lol..) for what they consider 'exempt from any IEC-conformance' (...which does-not automatically nuke shutters, etc, anyway..)... So..

..in the end, shutters aren't just 'the law'.. they're a good idea!..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

OMG, LOL... Or your video guy next to you thinking he is a laserist while you catch some fresh air!!

i've been talking to the ILDA folks about this, due to unrelated by relevant.

they like to see a shutter controlled by +5v on ilda pin 13 *and* an interlock loop that's activated by ilda pins 4 and 17 shorting.

this is a trivial bit of engineering.

Lightbulb

..this is a trivial bit of engineering.
    Indeed..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLS_Intlk_ILDA_v2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	45327 ...Or, sure.. just get a 'Stanwax boardie'.. ..But, point-being, you *can* 'DIY-it', it's not that hard.. See note, top-left, about adding a 'second SSR for Mech shutter'.. Of course, you would only-use +12V DC to 'drive' the Ledex shown in this thread, (..not this 24V, unless you expressly use a 24V coil-one..), but.. you can still 'gate' off this circuit.. Note, too, that this does not detail a 'keysw lockout' for the shutter, but, as you say, 'trivial engineering'..

..Perhaps when I get some time in 2019 I can draw-up that as a 'DIY-diag', also.. Will-post, if/when..
    j

any objections if i send this to lightspace?

it would make their projectors safer and easier to variance in the US and everybody wins when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Indeed..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLS_Intlk_ILDA_v2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	45327 ...Or, sure.. just get a 'Stanwax boardie'.. ..But, point-being, you *can* 'DIY-it', it's not that hard.. See note, top-left, about adding a 'second SSR for Mech shutter'.. Of course, you would only-use +12V DC to 'drive' the Ledex shown in this thread, (..not this 24V, unless you expressly use a 24V coil-one..), but.. you can still 'gate' off this circuit.. Note, too, that this does not detail a 'keysw lockout' for the shutter, but, as you say, 'trivial engineering'..

..Perhaps when I get some time in 2019 I can draw-up that as a 'DIY-diag', also.. Will-post, if/when..
    j

any objections if...
    Dele! (..espanish for Go! ..but the 'Omron relay' used in this design (..this was for the manual-reset I-lock circuit in DSLS's 40W KTP-jectors..) is kinda 'big and honkin': The Relay was Omron MY4N-DC24, and the 'socket' (screw-terminals make it easy to bus the other lines-in..) is Omron PYF14A-N, but, I am sure they can Google-up those data-sheets, and find / make an 'equivalent', quite easily..

...Again, tho, this exact-diagram does-not show / detail the 'Mech shutter' part of the circuit, but.. It's really quite a 'kindred design'.. just don't really need to dupe the 'manual-reset' aspects of this circuit, since, well.. duh... ..but, I'm sure there are 'circuit-masters' out there (ie: Rob Stanley.. that could spiff this whole thing up - including an SSR-gated Mech-shutter 'sidecar' - better than I can.. I'm a pretty-clunky circuit-designer... They work / are-solid, but.. Not particularly 'elegant'.. Which is fine.. Everyone brings something different to the party..

ciao
    j