Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety-concern with the "Shutter" on LS-Pluto IIs / Venus... and a DIY solution...

Lightbulb Safety-concern with the "Shutter" on LS-Pluto IIs / Venus... and a DIY solution...

Hey Kats -

..So, been helping one of our latest 'Laser-Pups' / LJ-Star of Club-SELEM Knight AnthonyGarcia with his acquisition / importation of a Pluto II from Lightspace, while we work on getting his Variance done / pushed-thru / safety / Op-training, etc, etc.. And, in so-doing, I've had the chance to pour-over the Pj-line / design, and features. This is the 'latest / greatest' version of the Pluto - with the touchscreen CP, on the back, etc - so, I don't know if previous versions have this same "shutter", but I'd presume so, and, regardless, this post / 411 applies to *any* of the Pj-lines, newer (ie: Venus..) or older-models, etc, that use this same component..

..As the thread-title states, the 'issue' I discovered / have, is with the "shutter" - AS they ship these units, the shutter is actually a *stepper-motor*, that is 'driven' to both open and close.. Here's the component: (..and it was 'pulled up-top' to show it clearer / stage for the vid-clip..)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS_Stepper_F_sm.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	44615 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS_Stepper_R_sm.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	44616 ..And, here's a vid-clip:

..This is *WAAAY* TOO SLOW, to be an effective part of any 'E-Stop' / Safety-device chain.. Regardless of if you use the keysw / Interlock-plug, Optical-deck cover-plate Interlock (kudos, btw.. or, just flat out shut off the power (via the toggle-sw or just 'pulling the plug'..) The 'response time' for closure of the shutter / blade is *WAY* too-slow. It should at least approach 'blink-reflex' time (0.25 sec.) and the way it - currently - is controlled, it's several-times that..

Disclaimer: This Pj was *not* purchased thru the 'Official US Distro' for these, which, as I understand, is Laser Rentals, Inc. (W. Meador) out of MO.... SO, I want to make it *clear* that this Pj - as it arrived / as-is the subject of this review / advisement, is NOT the 'Officlal' version as-Certified by their Co. / distro'd by them. This means, that the US-Certified version they-sell / ship, *may not* have this 'issue' (..and, very-likely does not, as I cannot imagine Walt passing these, as-is, since these are absolutely a non-compliant shutter, as-is...) Otherwise, the direct-sale imported Pj is 'reasonably-well compliant'.. Additionally, this Pj was Imported with an FDA 2877, under parts of Conditions C & D..
    ---

..But, some may counter, '...Ok, Gringo, but do you even *need* a 'hard-shutter', with digital (modulation) output control in solid-states, these days? I mean, if there's zero 'input' (..Or, you 'kill it'..) there's no Output! Why do I even need a stinking-shutter?! Aren't you just being a safety-nanny, again??..'

..Well, the answer is two fold: a) IF you live in the EU, or a Country where you're NOT subject to the CDRH's Regs / compliance-standards (..which do, indeed, *still* require a hard-shutter, even in 'solid-state' Pj's..), ie: those that live / Op where the ONLY standard is the 'IEC', well, then Yes, a hard-shutter is seen more as 'Optional', by the strict 'Letter of the Law'.. HOWEVER, even in such a case, using a proper hard-shutter is just best-practice, especially as you get into the higher Class IV power-ranges, as it gives the Projector a built-in 'backup' / CYA-mechanism..

...ie: What happens when there's a 'transient' voltage, kicked thru the system, ie: if the PC has to restart, with the PJ still connected, etc, and a *full power beam* is sent-out, thru the sys? IF there's NO shutter, well.. that beam may very-well knock someone - perhaps You - in the eye.. Doubt this happens? Then you've not been around very long.. I've seen even Kvants / RGBs and other 'hi-end' Pjs do this, under certain circumstances. And the 'Chijectors' - very often - some systems, nearly-always - do this, even on just shutting off / 'pulling' AC power (!) ..So, if you don't have a proper-shutter, or, in the case of this 'stepper', which takes like *2 seconds* to close (!!) THAT's a safety-concern, regardless of 'what the Regs are' / aren't..

b) ..In the case of the 'Pluto', and many other systems that - attempt - to incorporate 'Scan Fail' protection, or the "Safety Circuit" as they call it - that doesn't work properly - (ie: You should NOT be able to just gently grab the scanner-mir, with nothing-being Input to the Pj - either from an External or Internal source - and GET it to 'spit out' a beam.. *that's* not 'scan fail', that's just FAIL... But, that's a topic for another thread, after some more investigation / research on what's being done / not-done properly, there..) POINT BEING, if you've, additionally, not-GOT a hard-shutter - with proper response time - then your entire 'Safety-chain' is broken, right out of the box, and having all the keyswitches / Interlocks / E-Stops in the world still does not make the Pj - actually safe - let alone truly 'compliant'...

..Now, I am in-touch with the OEM on this, and, I'm confident they will be willing to consider the wisdom of this observation / input.. Yes, it may end-up costing a tiny-bit more, but.. IMHO, it will be an improvement *well-worth* the Safety - and potential-Liability - risks, and a competitive advantage over other 'ChOEMs'.. But in the *meantime*, here's what I did / you can do, on a 'DIY level' to fix / better-this.. Introducing the Ledex Rotary-Solenoid:

Name:	Ledex_H-2168-032.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	44606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ledex_Label.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	44607 ..and the Spec-sheet Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LedexRotary_2E.pdf 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	44608 ..the one I picked / used is the H-2168-032, since it Ops off 12V (available in plenty (29A, iirc!) in the Pluto..) and has a really-low current-draw, so as not to 'unbalance the load' in the Power-train too-much.. And, the 'L-bracket' was one used in a dye-laser, but it just-so happened to be the *exact* beam-height.. (I'll take some pix / measurements / post-later, for those that want to fab-up something similar..) ..but, really, it's nothing fancy - just a piece of 1 1/2" alum. L-brackky, couple mount / shaft holes, and yer off.. piece o' cake for PL'ers..

..And, so-as to maintain the 'Pj-brain control' for the shutter (in-context of the safety-circuit..) we simply used a mini 5V-coil DC-relay, the Omron_G2VN-287P-US-DC5, and piggy-backing off the two OEM-stepper 'V-hi' lines (Yellow: +5V; Blue: GND) to gate it.. Here's how it all placed / mounted:

Name:	Omron_G2VN-287P-US-DC5.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	44614 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pluto w:Ledex_1_sm.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	44611 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pluto w:Ledex_2_sm.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	44612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pluto w:Ledex_Open_sm.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	433.2 KB 
ID:	44613 ..and here's the 'difference' / result..

.....you pull the Interlock (either 'remote', on the rear, ILDA-sig, keysw or case-interlock)? BAM! That thing is closed in a snap... As it should-be / is the intention for the "shutter" as a component in the Safety-chain.. A 2-3 second 'railroad-crossing gate swing' is FAIL.

..Yes, of course, this Ledex is NO substitute for a Safe / spirit of the law / Regs-astute Operator, nor is it intended to fi a faulty Scan-fail system, nor can it prevent every-single instance of a 'transient V-spike' spitting out a full-power beam, etc, BUT.. In such cases.. after seeing the above two vid-clips.. Which pj would *You* rather be in front of, if there was unwanted Class IV laser-output, and the 'E-Stop' was tripped? I'd sure pick the Ledex!

..Anyhoo, again, this is not meant to be a 'Lightspace slam', etc.. Hopefully, this will a) inspire them to implement this *smart change*, even-if this is not for CDRH-Regs-governed customers - again: actual, real-world Safety ABOVE any / all 'Regs' - and / or, even if a 'true Ledex' is not used, but some other way of matching the response-time of such a spring-loaded shutter is achieved, and b) Provide a 'DIY solution' / idea for those that wish to - meantime - fix thier PJs, and thereby 'mitigate the risk', at least better than the OEM stepper, does..

..Still, some will say '..J, yer making a mountain out of a molehill...', but I say, ya gotta think like this: Let's say you take the PJ - as-is - out to do a gig, and - some bozo, somehow, gets a shot in the face, and even claims he got "hurt".. Calls his laywer / instigates a suit, etc.. Even if it's total bs, you've still got to 'defend' yourself, and IF - and it may be a 'big If', but certainly not-impossible - he has an astute-lawyer, and they hire-out a 'professional evaluation' of the PJ-used, well - low and behold - the thing takes 4x longer to 'stop' an errant beam, in a faulty modulation-control case, than it should.. All-because the ChOEM chose a slightly cheaper component to "save costs", etc.. Where does that leave you? Possibly with the 'bozo' eating yer lunch, dig?

..Yeah, it's a 'wild, crazy example', but.. Don't we Live in a wild, crazy world, where truth is often stranger than fiction? Op'ing, not to 'please some Guv', but to truly BE safe / 'CYA' is just 'smart business', these days.. So, mis dos centavos: If you fly w/ the Pluto IIs / Venus, any-other of these Pjs that use the 'stepper' as shutter.. 'CYA', and get a Ledex.

That is all..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 02-06-2015 at 02:01. Reason: ...because I am 'mentally ill'.. O_o
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

An improvement for sure. But you don't hear the loud "clunk" of the Ledex in the video. I am replacing the Ledex main shutter I originally installed in my projector with a silent GM-20.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    ..you don't hear the loud "clunk" of the Ledex in the video.
    ...That's cuz I nuked the soundtrack off the clip.. ..But honestly, with this lil 'mini-Ledex', it's not nearly as bad a CHUNK as its bigger siblings.. And with the Pj-cover on, I dare say you scarcely-notice..

..I am replacing the Ledex ..I originally installed...with a silent GM-20.
    ..Indeed, another fine - and 'US-compliant / CDRH-known' - suggestion, I forgot to mention the GMs.. I chose the mini-Ledex for the low-current draw, size, and ease of making it work with that 'wide paddle'.. Worked out perfect at-height / spot-size, etc.. But, yes, indeed - a GM-20, perhaps in a 'lowboy' (laying flat, vs vertical...) L-mount, and with a wide, stubby flag, would also make a great 'stop-gap' for these Pj's.. Thanks for the additional-411, Chief..

j

I like to compare having this shutter to having windows in my house. Yes my house can operate and I can continue to live but for a fraction of the price of the house itself, I can install windows for safety and comfort.
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Nice work Jon. The Ledex's are definitely reliable and fast and I'm sure that mini ledex doesn't make as much noise as the big clunker I was using. Best of all in the unlikely event of failure, it fails in a safe mode. If they're good enough for L'scope's, they're fine for us. Less expensive too. I made a beam table in the '70's using all Ledex rotary solenoids - big ones and you wouldn't believe the noise it made during a chase. Like an old sewing machine or something.
    BTW - Don't forget to add a 1N400x type diode across the Ledex coil to protect the relay contacts. Those solenoids generate enough kickback arc to eat away the relay contacts.

***Cough***

VRAD506

***Cough***
    ***Cough***

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    ***Cough***

VRAD506

***Cough***
    ***Cough***

Yeah, that's basically been my thought too. I thought that was one of the whole reasons it existed and everyone got so excited about them in the first place. It's supposed to be an improvement over the GM-20 (and, readily available).

Lightbulb

...Don't forget to add a 1N400x type diode...Those solenoids generate enough kickback arc to...
    Sure, good call.. I was thinking that would not be so-critical at only 12V, but.. better safe than replacing yer Relay..

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    ..VRAD506..
    Yeah, sure, but the Ledex / this mount was proposed so as to be 'DIY-friendly': a) With the L-brakky I found (will-post dims / holes to drill, soon.. it should be a snap for even the lackeyest of DIYers, because no 'additional holes' are needed to be drilled / tapped inside the Pj base-plate (..which is a PITA, at-best..) to-mount - You can use the same holes / screws that hold the OEM stepper / mount in-place.. THAT is worth it, alone..

..With either a 'standard GM-20 lowboy', or the 'VRAD' (not-sure what the 'standard' L-brak is like for those, but invariably, it will need more 'homework' / be more werk, than the Ledex-style - why? Beam-height, for one thing..) you'll quite-possibly have to drill / tap other mount-holes in the base-plate, to mount-securely.. Which, again, is a PITA, at-best..There's not much space fer drillin' n' tappin' in that lil' space ..unless you wanna get into taking out all the Lasers and scan-block and OMwho wants to do all that shyte?

..Additionally, b) you can simply use the 'OEM shutter blade' that is on the OEM-stepper, so, no need to make a 'fancy-pants one', like the one I used / sho in the pix.. That'll screw right on to the 'armature-plate' on these mini-Ledex.. Done, go have a beer.

c) I also don't know if, at 12V (the ideal in-Pj option for driving either a VRAD or LEdex - You certainly don't wanna 'unbalance' the 24V off the scanner-PSUs, and you'd also cook the Ledex..) a VRAD's 'swing' (30˚ @ 12V using only one-coil, internally..) would be 'enough' to clear the beam.. Probably, but again, it would take more 'homework'.. Yes, you could 'use both coils' of the VRAD, and get a 60˚ swing @ 12V, but then you're drawing nearly an Amp (~800+ mA) of current, vs the Ledex's ~420mA, tops.. So, it's a 'consideration'..

..Point-being, for a 'quickie, low-impact / workload DIY solution', the Ledex was not suggested 'just cuz I had one laying around'.. However..

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ..It's supposed to be an improvement over the GM-20 (and, readily available)
    ..Indeed, and perhaps the 'best place for this suggestion' (to use the VRAD..) is coming from Bill, himself - to Lightspace, directly.. That-way, they could address whatever 'power-conditioning needs' would be *ideal* for integrating the VRADs (vs their 'stepper'..) in the power-train, and Bill might see yet-another 'hi-volume sales-closure', and YOU-all then might glean the benefit, by having these puppies 'show up', with a much-improved / more-compliant shutter, and w/ no 'DIYing needed'! You can just get yer little HappyMcJector-box from DHL, open, and go get that beer, straight-away..

..I shall proposeth-such, to Mr Bill, shortly..
    j

Fyi, i remember walt saying, he adds his own shutters and swithches for cdrh compliance,
    On top of scan fail board
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    ...i remember walt saying, he adds his own shutters and swithches..
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect.. Those 'chinsy' k-switches would be the next-thing I'd nix / swap out for a nice 'EAO' or C&K...And, yeah, the 'scan fail' is, well.. That.

j