Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help spending money!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    I know this is in here somewhere...but I'm about to pull the trigger(so to speak) on the V222...
    I believe someone recommended MODE 2 Left Hand Throttle?

Yes, that's sort of the standard in the US. Just like the British drive on the correct side of the road, and the rest of us are different, we use a left hand throttle whereas the rest of the world uses a right hand throttle (Mode 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yes, that's sort of the standard in the US. Just like the British drive on the correct side of the road, and the rest of us are different, we use a left hand throttle whereas the rest of the world uses a right hand throttle (Mode 1).
    Selections made and ordered! V222
    extra blade set
    X5 600mAh batteries
    1X6 JST cable
    iMax B6 RC Digital Battery charger
    12 volt p/s for charger...

Now...the waiting begins...

Any idea what maximum microSD card the quad takes? How much video time a 2, 16GB or 32GB will get me?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

I'm left handed and now that I understand I would prefer the right hand throttle (model 1) for the control. Is this unpatriotic?

When you get your drone I would like to hear your impressions as well as an estimate of its load capacity and safe flight duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    FWIW -

The Mode 2 we generally fly in the US is actually the closest to the way real aircraft are rigged -
    Aileron & elevator on the same stick is the same way real joystick or control yokes are rigged.

For real helicopters, the cyclic is flown with the right hand, while the throttle & collective are flown with the left.
    Just like Mode 2 RC (with the exception of the rudder / tail rotor pedals being on the floor ...).

Many of the new programmable radios can actual be operated in different modes, but you would need to open up the radio and move some hardware around so the self-centering joystick is on the correct side.
    (Throttle / collective will not have self-centering like the other control axis have.)

Trivia session ended
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    Selections made and ordered! V222
    You'll love it. Very easy to fly. I've handed mine to complete beginners (including kids at SELEM), and they have all been able to fly it right away.

Note that the bird does not like to hover in ground-effect. This is a problem with all quads. So don't be stingy with the throttle when taking off. Give it some gas! Punch the throttle to get it in the air, and then back off to a hover. Easy!

Also, a couple other warnings:

1) Don't try to descend too fast in a vertical column. Quads can stall if you try to drop them in a free-fall environment and then throttle up. Most of the time the built-in gyro will be able to save you, but it's still not something you want to get into the habit of doing. (At least not until you're a better pilot.)

2) This thing will fly far enough and high enough that you will lose orientation (means you don't know which way it's pointing) long before you get out of radio range. So don't try to "test" the range, because you will lose the bird due to the fact that you can't see it and thus can't control it.

3) be very careful when trying to shoot video above the tree-line. You can get GREAT long-range video doing this, but the winds are higher up there and the bird can be blown down-range very quickly. It's got the power to overcome the wind, provided you recognize the problem and correct it before it gets so far away that you can't see it. This happens VERY FAST, so be alert.

In the end, if you ever think you've lost control, or that you're about to lose it, CHOP THE THROTTLE AND LET THE BIRD FALL OUT OF THE SKY. It will almost certainly land unharmed, even on concrete. It's really lightweight and very durable, so it's always best to let it fall unpowered if you can't control it. Don't worry about breaking it - it's tough! Just let it fall.

extra blade set
    You'll never use them. The bird already comes with a full set of spare blades, and I've never broken one in nearly a year of flying (including crashes into asphalt!)

X5 600mAh batteries
    Very smart purchase! You will be glad you got the extra batteries.

1X6 JST cable
    Perfect for charging multiple batteries.

iMax B6 RC Digital Battery charger
    The exact charger I have. Remember to increase the charging rate if you have multiple batteries connected. Otherwise it will time-out before it's done. (Max charge time is 120 minutes.)

Any idea what maximum microSD card the quad takes?
    I have a 32 gig card in mine and it works fine. Never tried a 64 gig, so I don't know if it will work or not.

How much video time a 2, 16GB or 32GB will get me?
    I have yet to fill up my 32 gig card. It will hold enough data for many tens of flights, if not more than that. (Actually, I think each 7 minute flight only takes up around 500 megs, but I'm not positive.)

Adam

Since you're considering parallel-charging multiple batteries -
    Here's a great online parallel charge calculator:

http://www.progressiverc.com/chargingdemand

And a GREAT article on batteries:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Interesting to see how quickly power requirements increase once you start adding in multiple batteries and higher capacities!

A few "good habits" to develop early in the game, expecially if you might consider moving up to bigger models (and bigger batteries) down the road:

* Be smart about LiPo battery storage - room temp. is fine, but it's a good idea to keep them in a VENTED fire-resistant container between use.

* Always balance-charge ~ your batteries will probably last longer and perform better in the long run.

* Use ONLY LiPo chargers, and NEVER charge unattended!!

* Pay attention to flight times - if you routinely fly until the quad drops out of the sky due to low battery power, you're taking a chance on damaging the battery, and possibly even the quad. Over-discharging is one of the prime reasons LiPo's fail prematurely, and in some cases can actually present a battery fire hazard (especially with the more powerful batteries). Which leads to -

* If the battery "puffs" (you'll know if it happens), you have a potentially unstable battery on your hands (i.e. potential fire hazard!), and it's not worth keeping around. Dispose of it properly - take it to a battery store / hobby shop that can dispose of it, or soak it in salt water for several days to render the chemicals inert.

LiPo batteries (any size) are for the most part safe and reliable, but there's a reason any shipped in the US come with a warning label. Treat them with care, and you'll be fine.

Have fun with the new quad!!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-08-2014 at 08:37.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Awe Man! Got a message the other day that the 5X spare batteries had shipped...all good.
    Today...I get a message the Rest of my order...which includes my V222 Quad...is Backordered
    item SKU065514 (mode1) is out of stock now and not sure when will be restocked.

I'm pretty sure I Ordered Mode 2 after answers here...

I emailed support to see if Mode 2 available and if Any of the remainder of the order is available.
    Hope I can get a substitute which can Use the batteries shipped!

Ok...Ok...Just got an email from Banggood:

Dear Rodney ,
    Thanks for you email.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have checked the item SKU065514 [Mode 2] is in stock, we can change your out of stock item SKU065514[Mode 1] into SKU065514 [Mode 2] and make shipment for you , is it okay?

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Yours sincerely ,
    Rebecca
    I have replied in the Affirmative!

Good Service Update:
    I have received multiple emails from Banggood concerning my shipment...
    First Wednesday AM that the V222 Quadcopter Mode 2 was available
    Then Wednesday PM that it would be restocked and shipped in approx. 11 days - was I willing to wait or choose another product?
    I chose to await...anxious...but still have patience. China a Long Way away from Texas!
    Thursday AM that they were happy I was willing to wait...
    This morn, Friday, at 1:50am Central, I got an email saying my order had shipped!
    It lists all items Including the V222.
    The long dark wait Begins..............

Update...I've received and flown my V222 Quadrocopter from www.banggood.com and Love it! Highly recommended! I haven't been able to fly as much as I would wish...but when I Did...It was Very responsive and great range. Nice lighting...Only problem...It wants to fly high and away quickly if you let it! But it takes Beginner crashes well and keeps taking off again.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ht...l-p-67794.html