Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help spending money!

Default Need help spending money!

I know it doesn't sound like much...but my Wife pledged me up to $200 for my Birthday (was July 15th)...
    At first...I was going for quadrocopter(s)...but wanted to wait till after SELEM so I could get eyes/hands on experience(which I did Thanks to ALL!)...But After Experiencing that which is SELEM...I am torn!
    I am Almost operational with LSX...have the Dongle and Software loaded...but can't get past the opening screen. The person I bought LSX from is attempting to contact DrLava (good luck) to transfer license to me...
    About being torn: Quadrocopter...Etherdream DAC...APC40...She's bugging me to make a decision Before Christmas!

Mental Arguments:
    I only have a reke500rgb and LK-PD2 with Quickshow and FB3...personal use only.

Quadrocopters:
    Kinda windy here usually and airport just a few miles away...Near Austin, Texas...But DO have a couple acres to play with...looking at www.Banggood.com Wltoys V222, Hubsan H107D, Walkera QR100...

Hoping to convert part of barn to a Laser Showplace...I retire in a couple years and will have more time to play!

Wish I would have picked up one of those Beautiful Blue laser modules I saw in the buy/trade room at SELEM...

If I had LSX operational...the Etherdream would head to the top of the list..

APC 40 Might be overkill for my two Chinese laser usage?...

Sorry to ramble...but Crown & Coke night tonight!
    Last edited by rodman1369; 09-07-2014 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    At least you know how to start the evening off correctly!

I have a simple Traxxas LaTrax Alias quad and I love it. Most if not all quads do well in the wind. Hovering in the wind is a bit harder for a dumb RC quad like mine but they can be a blast. I'm only on two acres so, I need to be a bit more careful when I get the thing moving fast. My friend radar'd mine at 35MPH in optimal conditions so, I think it can handle a little wind . I use an 808 #26 HD cam and my quad has no trouble with the extra weight.

I would say a quad copter since you already have an FB3 and can make laserlight. You will have plenty of time saving up for an etherdream DAC while waiting for your LSX license.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 09-06-2014 at 20:05.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm going to say quad as well... mainly because for $68 delivered to your door, the WLtoys V222 is the best damn value for the money you'll find in quads and you've got $132 left. It's damn near indestructable, shoots great video and still pics, is easy to fly, has great range and is cool as hell.

The APC40 is really only designed to be used for Beyond and, it's a "convenience". You can do everything it can do with your mouse. It's a neat toy but not essential.

With the $132 left... then you only need to earmark $68 to get a new etherdream and... truth be told, I "might" even consider selling you mine. I bought one new for $199 about 8 months ago and it's never been out of the shipping carton. I have other DAC's I can use LSX with - I just simply bought it to have it. I figure we have a while to cross that bridge because, as we all know, while I like and respect Andrew, he is demonstratibly one of the most irresponsible and least professional business persons in the laser game - and probably some other industries as well. How on earth you have the audactity to take peoples money and not deliver, not answer e-mails and "maybe" surface once or twice a year is beyond comprehension. And yet, people cut him slack because, "he's probably busy moving" or, "well... he has a kid". Huh??? Don't get me started. Oh, wait... I already have. Sorry. I just get so damn pissed when I read near daily that someone else has placed and order and paid for something and months go by and he can't be bothered to respond to them or give them the time of day. And, are told by people here to, "Be patient... he'll get around to it and you'll be happy with the product when he finally does." I'm sorry but, that's not the right answer. That's called being fucked over and is a lousy way to treat people. Even if you are busy... then take a laptop with you to the bathroom and reply while you're sitting and taking a dump. Make an effort!

(Sorry to disturb your thread... long few days at work and I'm a little punchy. I'm not usually like that. Rant over.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-06-2014 at 21:22.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you have the dongle and software for LSX, i'd get the guy you bought it from to send you the license file so you can use it until drlava does the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by rodman1369 View Post
    I know it doesn't sound like much...but my Wife pledged me up to $200 for my Birthday (was July 15th)...
    At first...I was going for quadrocopter(s)...but wanted to wait till after SELEM so I could get eyes/hands on experience(which I did Thanks to ALL!)...But After Experiencing that which is SELEM...I am torn!
    I am Almost operational with LSX...have the Dongle and Software loaded...but can't get past the opening screen. The person I bought LSX from is attempting to contact DrLava (good luck) to transfer license to me...
    About being torn: Quadrocopter...Etherdream DAC...APC40...She's bugging me to make a decision Before Christmas!

Mental Arguments:
    I only have a reke500rgb and LK-PD2 with Quickshow and FB3...personal use only.

Quadrocopters:
    Kinda windy here usually and airport just a few miles away...Near Austin, Texas...But DO have a couple acres to play with...looking at www.Banggood.com Wltoys V222, Hubsan H107D, Walkera QR100...

Hoping to convert part of barn to a Laserium...I retire in a couple years and will have more time to play!

Wish I would have picked up one of those Beautiful Blue laser modules I saw in the buy/trade room at SELEM...

If I had LSX operational...the Etherdream would head to the top of the list..

APC 40 Might be overkill for my two Chinese laser usage?...

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I agree with Brad about Andrew. I have been there too many times. He might be as rare as an eclipse, but at least they are predictable. If you decide to "wait" for him to respond to you it could be a few days (unlikely) or a couple of months or never and all the while you are getting angrier and angrier. It's not worth it. I'd see if you can work out something with Brad.

About the quad copters. $68 is an incredible price! I had always assumed the non toys (works once...poorly) started near $1,000. Are there a few models out there that will do what you say the WLtoys will do, but can lift a few ounces reliably or have a decent hang time? I'm hoping to hoist a thin, low frequency antenna as an alternative to a balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    About the quad copters. $68 is an incredible price! I had always assumed the non toys (works once...poorly) started near $1,000. Are there a few models out there that will do what you say the WLtoys will do, but can lift a few ounces reliably or have a decent hang time? I'm hoping to hoist a thin, low frequency antenna as an alternative to a balloon.
    Eric,

Seriously... look at Banggood.com. It's unbelieveable what you can get for such little money. There are reviews on Youtube about many of the models and reviews even written right in the listing. Buffo has a large collection of birds and I have about 5 now and yes, you could easily get something that can carry that amount of weight without a problem. Yes... you CAN spend a lot of money in serious RC - just ask Laserjock or Stuka or Ekeefe, etc. But you certainly don't necessarily have to.

As the running joke goes.... "you'll only ever need to spend like $200 on this hobby." Quads and helicopters are nearly as addictive once you start playing with them. The VLToys (I think) V-323 hexcopter that I have was about $116 and can carry an enormous amount of weight and, it's huge in it's own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZy5mwcoqU

what have yall done to me... now i want a Phantom 2+
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    what have yall done to me... now i want a Phantom 2+
    Oh hell... after SELEM, I'm looking at the bigger heleicopters now. And seriously thinking about this quad with GPS and automatically comes home if you start to lose it. You can just toss the transmitter on the ground, walk away and it will fly back and land right next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Eric,

Seriously... look at Banggood.com. It's unbelieveable what you can get for such little money. There are reviews on Youtube about many of the models and reviews even written right in the listing. Buffo has a large collection of birds and I have about 5 now and yes, you could easily get something that can carry that amount of weight without a problem. Yes... you CAN spend a lot of money in serious RC - just ask Laserjock or Stuka or Ekeefe, etc. But you certainly don't necessarily have to.

As the running joke goes.... "you'll only ever need to spend like $200 on this hobby." Quads and helicopters are nearly as addictive once you start playing with them. The VLToys (I think) V-323 hexcopter that I have was about $116 and can carry an enormous amount of weight and, it's huge in it's own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZy5mwcoqU
    I know this is in here somewhere...but I'm about to pull the trigger(so to speak) on the V222...
    I believe someone recommended MODE 2 Left Hand Throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Oh hell... after SELEM, I'm looking at the bigger heleicopters now. And seriously thinking about this quad with GPS and automatically comes home if you start to lose it. You can just toss the transmitter on the ground, walk away and it will fly back and land right next to it.
    Those are fabulous systems. I had one... it won't get you out of a tree. My TBS Discovery has been in a tree about 90 feet up since 1/3/2014.

That said, I used the DJI Naza and it was a fabulous autopilot. Saved my bacon a few miles out several times.

These are the best airframes I'm aware of for FPV. I've flown the discovery, and only dreamed about the GetFPV:

http://team-blacksheep.com/shop/cat:discovery

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-fr...-airframe.html