Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, all you smart people...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Ok, all you smart people...

Can anyone think of a reason why all three modules in a laser projector would lose say, 25% of their power all around approximately the same time?

I haven't gotten in touch with CT Lasers about this yet but, my 3 watt RGB that is comprised of a 1.2 watt Kvant 640 red, and (if I recall) a 1 watt DHOM 532 and 800 or 900 mW 445 that I think was DHOM as well, seemed to have a drop in power that I noticed not long after SELEM 2013. I really haven't even used it since September of 2013 and took it to SELEM this year just to have each module individually checked with a good meter. The Kvant 640 is doing 880mW. The 532 is at 800mw and the blue is at 630mW. It was 3 watts out the window when I got it about a year before at SELEM 2012. I don't know actual hours used but lets say 75-100 over a years time.

It always looked great and then like I said, I noticed the power drop when running it next to a Pluto 2.5 watt about a year ago. The Pluto ate it's lunch. It just seems odd to me that all three would be down on power and that it all happened in a short time.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

check to make sure the modules are getting a full 5v on modulation input. also, try cleaning your optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Can anyone think of a reason why all three modules in a laser projector would lose say, 25% of their power all around approximately the same time?

I haven't gotten in touch with CT Lasers about this yet but, my 3 watt RGB that is comprised of a 1.2 watt Kvant 640 red, and (if I recall) a 1 watt DHOM 532 and 800 or 900 mW 445 that I think was DHOM as well, seemed to have a drop in power that I noticed not long after SELEM 2013. I really haven't even used it since September of 2013 and took it to SELEM this year just to have each module individually checked with a good meter. The Kvant 640 is doing 880mW. The 532 is at 800mw and the blue is at 630mW. It was 3 watts out the window when I got it about a year before at SELEM 2012. I don't know actual hours used but lets say 75-100 over a years time.

It always looked great and then like I said, I noticed the power drop when running it next to a Pluto 2.5 watt about a year ago. The Pluto ate it's lunch. It just seems odd to me that all three would be down on power and that it all happened in a short time.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Laser Warning

Time for first contact...? Dirty dichros and mirrors could be it, getting dirty at the same rate. Swami already said that after reading his whole post.

Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 09-07-2014 at 15:02. Reason: Doh
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

the pluto is probably a nicer unit. maybe you should bin it (i can send you my address for proper disposal).
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

A dirty aperture, mirrors or dichros was my first thought too and I did clean them with First Contact. I don't have a sensor head that will fit between the module and dichro so that's why I brought is to SELEM to get each module checked independently.
    I was afraid I might have goofed with the First Contact or something and made it worse.

i'd check the wiring from the db25 to the modules. you may be having problems with a bad ground.

when you metered the projector, did you put a full 5v on the mod inputs?

A dirty aperture, mirrors or dichros was my first thought too and I did clean them with First Contact. I don't have a sensor head that will fit between the module and dichro so that's why I brought is to SELEM to get each module checked independently.
    I was afraid I might have goofed with the First Contact or something and made it worse.

To go along swami's line strip the ct box put in the Pluto modules and you still have a legal box. My address is better than swami's for disposal...

To be serious do you have an ilda gem ilda gem - Stanwax

Cleaning the contacts of the db25 connector might not be a bad idea either.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

i like the pluto enclosure better than the CT Lasers enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    To go along swami's line strip the ct box put in the Pluto modules and you still have a legal box. My address is better than swami's for disposal...

To be serious do you have an ilda gem ilda gem - Stanwax

Cleaning the contacts of the db25 connector might not be a bad idea either.

We used (if I recall correctly), a target beam cue or, one of the static beam cues in Quickshow to make sure we were getting max output. Buffo and someone else were actually doing it on Sunday afternoon while we were packing up so I wasn't there the entire time we were checking it. Buffo tuned the scanners and I was there through all that and then got side tracked during the checking of the modules. I'll take a look at it this week. I kept meaning to post it on here for ideas in case I was having a brain hiccup and not thinking of something simple. No, I don't have an ILDA Gem. It's been something I've thought about on occasion but (believe it or not) haven't aquired.

And I prefer the Pluto box too. At least I can hang it!

all jokes aside, i think your best bet is to put a known and metered constant source of 5v on each of the modulation channels. i'm not sure if fb3+qs outputs a constant 5v signal. there was a lot of discussion about this in earlier threads, but i don't remember if it had gotten sorted.

We used (if I recall correctly), a target beam cue or, one of the static beam cues in Quickshow to make sure we were getting max output. Buffo and someone else were actually doing it on Sunday afternoon while we were packing up so I wasn't there the entire time we were checking it. Buffo tuned the scanners and I was there through all that and then got side tracked during the checking of the modules. I'll take a look at it this week. I kept meaning to post it on here for ideas in case I was having a brain hiccup and not thinking of something simple. No, I don't have an ILDA Gem. It's been something I've thought about on occasion but (believe it or not) haven't aquired.

And I prefer the Pluto box too. At least I can hang it!