Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEST Your laser safety IQ--

Back in June 2010 member DiRollin started a thread--at LPF

prompted by the surge of newcomers wanting a Wicked Laser-

There are a number of good links and a 10 question quiz- but afaik no 'key' so we will need to come up with the correct answers on our own.
    When I took it I added A. B. C. etc to the possible answers- I copied my answers--

the test--

Safety Quiz:
    http://www.coherent.com/downloads/Laser_Safety_Quiz.pdf

anyhoo- one of the safety videos attached has every question mentioned and answered so plz - take the quiz THEN see the vids unless yer skeeared--
    but dont put the answers here--

take the quiz- save your answers- see the vids and THEN take the quiz over etc.

get all the links here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/ar...uiz-51864.html

hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Hey Hak - Thanks for posting.

I think I dropped 4 or 5 but it's great to have the impetus to test my knowledge and think about laser safety - despite being in the UK and having less stringent controls most of the questions relate to what we all do with our photons, wherever we are.

Keith

your very welcome Keith--

My motives are not entirely altruistic(?) as i failed my first go at the LSO exam - I wont make a lot of excuses- (my laptop lost wifi-& I had links to stuff that would have helped me to pass=maybe)=so i need to really be on top of my game for the do-over next month (and another $100 -ouch!)

I do however want more at the pointer forum to be aware of safety and the consequences if not careful-- as IMHO 99.9% of the idiots who commit these crimes with thier lasers are NOT members here--nor ever will be.-

-- if you go to laserpointersafety.com and see the 'sentences' handed out you will read some things they had to say about the 'experience' -- Once you are a convicted felon your entire world is rocked-- and never the same after...

If anyone know of any math Qs for this or can make up a Q I would like to see that posted here.. for the LSO these are just extra credit- no loss if not answered or incorrect- I did not even try- too bad just getting one math Q right and i would very likely have passed.

My laptop crashed BAD(all on my HD was gone) right after SELEM this year so I need to get all the stuff I lost and have it back where i can use it--

hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin

b u m p

a second quiz is linked in post #21 above- its from Coherant and was posted a long time ago.

good luck
    Powered by Pangolin

BUMPING

Been finding a mountain of Laser Safety Info on the webbz as every university has lasers & safe use is paramount. So all have a lot on laser safety-sample quizzes=math Qs etc.

Found this question and not 100% sure what is the correct answer==

It was about laser induced biological skin exposure= "which is NOT a 'item of concern' " -I choose 'divergence' by process of elimination--

was I correct??

the other choices were-
    -size of area exposed-
    -beam penetration-
    -exposure limits

they do not give the answers to that quiz--

thanks hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 11-22-2014 at 17:18.
    Powered by Pangolin

I would have said size of area exposed.

I would have said Divergence is a concern because the lower the divergence the higher the power density and thus potential for damage, the deeper the penetration the greater the cell damage and exposure limits are obviously a concern if you're trying to avoid exposing people to potentially harmful beams, which just leaves the size of the are exposed.

IIRC on-line I read that the size (area) exposed on skin is a factor of concern.

I will find it-brb

meantime

check this out--
    typo maybe??
    U.of Chicago

here-- http://safety.uchicago.edu/pp/laser/mpe_nhz.shtml
    "The Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE)
    The single most useful number in laser safety calculations is the Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE). This is the minimum irradiance or radiant exposure that may be incident upon the eye (or the skin) without causing biological damage."

"MINIMUM???? dont they mean max.????