Thread: Surplus Shed Cambridge Technology Model 6810P-517

Default Surplus Shed Cambridge Technology Model 6810P-517

Surplus Shed is offering new/unused Cambridge Technology Model 6810P-517 for $49.

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m4654.html

Does anyone know the specs (Kpps) and what amplifier is required to drive this galvo?

Thank you PL members!

Thank you for the thorough reply. It appears the bottom line is to stay away from these galvos.

Why is that? Just ordered 2 yesterday o.O
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by db3306 View Post
    Why is that? Just ordered 2 yesterday o.O
    I had to delete my post. Got indirectly threated with a small lawsuit. Which would have been frivolous. Which is fine, because I can still repost with the actual speed data. etc.

If you buy these, expect to have to replace the mirrors and mirror mounts. Mirrors are RED/IR only as shipped. The mirror system on them has a huge inertia. You'll also need to modify the parts installed on the amp to match the position sensor.

With the best possible mirror these are a 18-20K PPS galvo at small angles and say 15K large angle.

There are large amounts of these floating around on Ebay that are used pulls and are damaged. If you buy from Ebay, make sure they are tested and warranted.

Surplus Shed says theirs are new in the Box.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-18-2014 at 04:41.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

FWIW, I'm working on a 3D printed mirror mounting jig for these. Still looking for mirrors for less than 5X the cost of the scanners though. I made a similar jig for 6230's and it works great with some 10mm aperture mirrors I have. Those are a bit large for the 6810's.

Steve do you still have drivers available for these? I was thinking of getting a pair for my Synrad co2 laser. I would probably ask if you have an f-theta lens after that...
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I just used a milling arrangement on a mini-lathe to make a trial mount out of AL stock. Took about 20 minutes to make a new mirror mount. It isn't pretty but it works.

You bore a aluminum rod on center for the galvo shaft diameter, I think its a #32 drill bit. Then a hole gets drilled and tapped for the setscrew. You clamp the rod stock in the boring bar holder. Then you chuck a large four flute end mill in the lathe chuck. You set the height of the boring bar holder so that half the rod is going to be milled off by the end mill. Spin up the lathe, and now you can mill the flat. You then slowly crank the transverse across the lathe to mill the flat for gluing the mirror. Then you chuck the rod in the jaws and part off the mount in the normal way.

I found a few broadband mirrors on Ebay that were the right 2 mm thickness for the factory mounts.

This is a back burner thing as I have eight 6810 left over from the group buy. I use one 6810 without a mirror as a test jig for the galvo amp project. This lets me test the amps prior to modification. I have one 6810 working as a blanking galvo.

I can try to tweek the amps from the amp group buy. Older DT40 amps work off the shelf if you make the right cable, but I'm not so sure they will tune up with a much larger mirror. At least not without a few component changes.

What has to be watched is the AGC circuit current through the led in the galvo position sensor. Some brands of of these Chinese galvo amps can hit 50-60 mA through the LED. Which can be too much for 6810. So the AGC gain resistor on the amp might need changed.

Leds are Leds, so you can wire in a LED without the galvo connected and check the baseline current.

Sugeek, if I have galvos with the actual mirror your using, I can try to tune a pair up. It would be some time in the future as I have quite a few customers ahead of you.

I don't have any CO2 F-thetas. A very large diameter lens after the scanners with a long focal length might be just fine.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-25-2014 at 05:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...