Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God *CENSORED* *CENSORED*ing fog machines!

Default God *CENSORED* *CENSORED*ing fog machines!

Alright guys, I don't feel like going through the search engine to find this so I am going to ask directly. I have 3 Chauvet Hurricane 1100s and I cannot store them for more than 3 months without them being completely clogged. I will admit, at first I was using junk fog fluid but now I am using Chauvet's own fluid and these bastards still clog. Is it just the nature of the beast to have to run vinegar through your fog machines if they are shelved for months at a time? I am starting to wish I hadn't spent money on these and gone with a better brand, hang the expense. I am tired to the ends of the earth with battling with these things every time I take them out for Halloween. One is so clogged that I am going to take the pump apart and clean it. I wish hazers did better outdoors. *Rant over*

Anyone else have bad luck with Chauvet foggers? Is there anything else I can do to prep these for a nice and happy storage? Can these just not be stored like that without running them every month or so?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I've never owned one, but have known a few people who've owned them as well as a couple of clubs who use them daily, and I've seen them all go through several of them.

Meanwhile my Martin magnum 2000 and Jem ZR44's are still going strong after 3-5 years of use depending on the machine, with sometimes months in between uses particularly for the ZR's. With a fan behind them, and output volume set to a low setting, they produce a great haze for laser effects.

If using them only for halloweens once a year, that can be harder on the smaller foggers, as smaller foggers will tend to have weaker pumps and smaller tubing as well. Running through pure distilled water after use is probably the best. Vinegar is sometimes use to clean them, but never store after using vinegar, always run some fog fluid through them afterwards as the vinegar is an acid and can corrode the tubing of left in there over time.
    Last edited by m0f; 09-14-2014 at 19:26.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I flush mine with high grade distilled water in between use. Flush means drain the tank and run a bit of water through the heater. They set on the shelf for months here, and don't clog. Vinegar is a once a year thing...

What fluid are you using?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Just wanted to add, probably your best choice would be to get one very large fogger and use distribution tubing to get it to the different places you need it. The benefit of this would be bigger pump and bigger tubing is harder to clog.

Steve, I am currently using Chauvet's fluid. I have heard of others have trouble with Chauvet foggers, even using good fluid. I will probably go the distilled route. I was always under the impression that the rubber valves in the solenoid pumps would get brittle if left "dry". If it's working for you guys, it should work for me. Would grocery store distilled work or should I aim a bit higher?

m0f, I think I may look into a Martin or Antari if this doesn't alleviate my problems.

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll give this a go.

Antari seems to be the oem for many of them, so I'm not too convinced they'll be any / much better. My first fogger was a radio shack model, which didn't last all that long, and upon opening it up was antari parts inside

One of the main reasons I like the bigger martin or jem foggers is they use a high pressure espresso pump that's widely available, made in Italy and seems to be of very high quality. And being an easy to get part, if it ever fails I can avoid dealing with the manufacturer and paying a huge markup.

As far as storage, grocery store distilled water should be fine for that purpose. I honestly rarely bother to do so, but my machines are possibly not sitting as long at a time either. I've heard that about the pump seals as well, however if faced with a choice between dry pump seals or clogged heat exchanger, I would choose dry pump seals every time As a pump can be swapped out quite easily if need be and are generally not too expensive, however if the heat exchanger complete blocks it's generally game over.

Try a Look Viper or Smoke Factory Captain D
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Or if you want cheap the Martin Magnum - start at around £110 each depending on the model. I had a small one and sold it to Paul.

It never faltered and they're built like battlefield tanks. Excellent machines.

I never had to clean it or do anything. All I did was store it in the house in a warm dry room and stick to Martin smoke fluid.

If I was looking for smoke, rather than haze, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

BTW I'm sure you know this but Martin / Jem are one and the same so either brand is good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may go with Martin. Martin seems to be the tried and true fogger. I am looking at the magnum 1200. I think that'll fit the bill nicely. Thanks again, guys.

Seriously (now I'm not just woken up and using my phone) take a look at the Viper NT. JD3 has 3 of them i believe.
    The Look/Smoke Factory/HazeBase units seem to be just very well thought out, the hazers all have a fluid purge function on switch off to prevent clogging. not sure on the Viper/Captain, but it does have a power off routine that lasts around 15 secs, so may also purge the heater. Again, ask JD3.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.