Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio Shack

SAD1024 analog bucket brigade echo chip.. wow .. the memories ..

Quote Originally Posted by VibrationsOfDoom View Post
    Man, I'm showing my age here, but I remember going to the Radio Shack and learning how to program in basic on a TRS-80 Model IV... Used to go up there during summers and play some of those cool games on a Color Computer!!
    I've always been grateful to the sales guys at the local RS for allowing a geeky 12 year old to sit in front of the TRS-80 color computer for hours learning how to program BASIC. 4K of RAM? Write efficient code! Good times.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    RS used to discontinue items just about the time I figured out how cool they were.

The short upside to that was that sometimes I would find a box full of RS stuff at a hamfest for like 25 cents an item.
    Back then I got SO lucky many times, going from store to store and finding the reduced priced parts still hanging, yet remarked along the walls - OR! - a whole box of the discontinued parts, I'd be just looking thru what was there and have a big mess going on with the stuff all sorted into piles on the floor and a few times the manager would come along and he would help remove any question of whether to buy or not by offering the whole box for some incredible price like $10 or $20.. I cant remember

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I have 14 of those SAD1024 ICs!
    I probably have 14 of these left also, some I used and they have one half of the delay sections fried out, some still brand new. At one point I had 5 of them in series with each other for the extra delay response.... nulling out that clock frequency/noise was always such a pain in the a$$!.
    Building guitar effects was such a cool way to learn electronics! yet, only a few of the projects ever found themselves housed / 'completed' - into an end 'product'.... I have often wondered if there some way of using this chip for creating abstracts/images that are as trippy looking as the sound this chip produces.

Someday, soon hopefully, I intend to get back into building stuff, last month I ebayed 3 of some burr-brown "AD532J*"??? quadrant multipliers.
    Last edited by LaserCo; 09-19-2014 at 07:52. Reason: reclarification

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I've always been grateful to the sales guys at the local RS for allowing a geeky 12 year old to sit in front of the TRS-80 color computer for hours learning how to program BASIC. 4K of RAM? Write efficient code! Good times.

David
    I always felt that I was 'too cool' to EVER become interested in computers and thought I would never learn a thing about them.. I felt they were for the dweeby nerdy types LOL

I have a sister who is ten years older than me and she had a high school friend who worked at RS. I think it was some time in 1978, he brought over to our house the first TRS-80 computer. That was it for me. As soon as I saw it I was hooked.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

The laser show that MWK bought from Knott's Berry Farm in (I believe) '96 was run from a Trash 80.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.