Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how 520nm brightness vs 532nm in an RGB buld

Hi Edision, remember we compare beam during Frankfurt in 2013 year?
    Our OEM-V series green sold large quantity each year, I am 100% sure more than all lasers you sold. .
    When you sold large quantity each year, you couldn't face a few pcs power down, pleasure is most of reply is active.
    Why we advise customer choose 520nm in middle power 520nm, not because our 532nm, it is because 520nm lifetime, Analogue better than 532nm, just like I said, if you do 10pcs RGB projector using 532nm, the color, balance is the same, I give you big thumb, can you? 520nm is only less nice yellow, for 532nm, maybe you want yellow is green or blue, eachi projector is different, .
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Our OEM-V series green sold large quantity each year, I am 100% sure more than all lasers you sold.

I,m sure you sold more greens since i don,t do 532nm greens 532nm is a DPSS and we don,t do DPSS. I had a 3 laserwaves in the past and all had problems but i have seen the new 532nm-V-S series and i was quite impressed with the overal quallity. Laserwave has a more convinient driver since it runs on standard voltage supply like 5V and 12V compared to the OEM-F series from CNI. I went in the past with CNI OEM-F,s because of the quallity of the Head. But with the new V-S ones i might give it a shot in the near future. But i will wait and see the reviews on PL first before i buy one.........

Because we are a relitively small company we aren,t selling the quantities that laserwave can do. We don,t have the manpower or the cashflow that laserwave has. Even if we had the manpower and cashflow we can,t beat china because the manufacturing cost or higher. Living expences and wages are 5 till 10 higher and also my morgage. Because we are relatively small and don,t do mass production we are flexible and have direct contact with the customer. Our modules are also upgradeble so if someone buys a green 1 watt he doesn,t need to buy a new module when he wants to upgrade his power. So we are thinking on the long therm.

Oh for people that complain where this thread is going , please read the post from bridge about who is the biggest seller. Totally irrelevant but i couldn,t resist to comment on that.

Back to the real subject........?

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by edison
    Back to the real subject........?
    Oh, the irony...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Look up the response of the eye...peaks around 555 nm so 520 nm will appear less bright for sure. A good DPSS crystal laser will have supperior beam quality to any mumtimode diode or it should anyway. The diodes should modualte better and be way more reliable IF NOT OVERDRIVEN! Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Yes your absolutely right phil, with a good driver dpss is sure the perfect choice. Unfortunally chinese green aren,t available with good drivers. I replaced several chinese greens with a Pico heat and cool driver to have perfect linear modulation and rock stable in hot and cold weather.

CNI OEM-F heads are available with a heat and cool driver but again with that bulky powersupply. With 520nm its now only a short time before a real 532nm direct diode arrives i think. Fingers crossed its single mode and 532nm/200mw Then we are really moving forward

Look up the response of the eye...peaks around 555nm so 520 nm will appear less bright for sure. A good DPSS crystal laser will have superior beam quality to any multi mode diode or it should anyway.
    Yes, the eye will see the 532 as a little brighter, but this will be a relatively small effect. I believe the beam quality will overwhelm this. I STILL don't understand this problem with the 520 beam quality. It should be at least as good as the 445 and when I correct a 445 to fit onto a 5mm aperture scanner it is always a better far field beam than any commercial DPSS I have used. Even when you correct the beam of a DHOM, Laserwave or a CNI to a 5 mm aperture the blue is better and it is multi mode. Is it possible that no one is actually correcting these 520nm diodes and just collimating them? What are the exit beam dimensions from these 520nm modules?

Edison,
    You are correcting these 520nm diodes with a prism pair or a cylinder pair, right?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Yes, the eye will see the 532 as a little brighter, but this will be a relatively small effect. I believe the beam quality will overwhelm this. I STILL don't understand this problem with the 520 beam quality. It should be at least as good as the 445 and when I correct a 445 to fit onto a 5mm aperture scanner it is always a better far field beam than any commercial DPSS I have used. Even when you correct the beam of a DHOM, Laserwave or a CNI to a 5 mm aperture the blue is better and it is multi mode. Is it possible that no one is actually correcting these 520nm diodes and just collimating them? What are the exit beam dimensions from these 520nm modules?

Edison,
    You are correcting these 520nm diodes with a prism pair or a cylinder pair, right?

FWIW, i just received confirmation from Lightspace, that they now DO correct their 520nm modules, with prisms.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

our new 1W 520nm, 17mm@17m, full beam sizes test not only center brightness beam sizes test.
    if someone just want to buy and like do test and share his test openly, we can do special prices for him.
    any interesting, please contact with me, bridge@laser-wave.com, skype: bridgetan1980
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Thanks everyone for the input. More than anything I needed a sanity check, and in thinking it through over the last few weeks have covered pretty much everything talked about in this thread. This thread has really helped me in coming to a decision though and so I do think the dpss route is best to start with and will almost certainly pbs at least 2 knife edged 520nm in there in the near future. For now I think I will be combining one of my existing dhom 1W's running about 1.6W via pbs in to a 5W, to hopefully get around 6.5W of 532nm to start with.

The OEM-N and MGL-N series of CNI's do have heating and cooling drivers and so that's what I've been leaning towards over the past couple of weeks. I think for my usage, which does include some outdoor shows in the mountains, the added stability of a hbridge tec driver will make all the difference.

Planters, thanks for the reminder about how knife edging the diodes together will not necessarily increase the power density of the beam. That's one thing I was overlooking in considering 520nm. The added longevity and ease / low cost of repair should a single diode quit is mainly what I found so tempting about the 520nm.

As far as visibility goes, despite being theoretically a less visible wavelength, I was more or less curious of the improved modulation characteristics would make up for it. But didn't factor power density into the equation.

Edison, the single mode diodes as nice as they are, I don't think are for me as 99% of my jobs are beam shows, with the need for massive power due to big lighting and led walls. Though in your example the power density of a 1.6W built with single mode diodes can match that of a much higher powered laser built with multimodes, I think is much more important for graphics than it is for strictly beam shows. In my case of needing to match up 6-7W of green I have a feeling despite the power density being similar, 1.6W of single mode red wouldn't work as well as 6W of multimode even at the same power density. So I do think multimodes have their place. Using mpe and the safety scan lenses as an example, a tight lower powered beam at mpe is less exciting than a fat higher powered beam at mpe. And great point about the necessity of a heating and cooling driver for stability, I fully agree. Which is my main reasoning for choosing cni despite the fairly high price comparatively. Driver size isn't so important in my example as my case is quite large, and I will be removing a dhom driver which is quite large. The oem drivers also don't seem to be overly huge to me, perhaps they've recently redesigned them (though size is relative to individual requirements)

Once again, thanks everyone for your help. It's helped me pretty much be settled now on purchasing a couple of 5W dpss greens to start with. The added power density being one of the huge factors I had overlooked.

Miles

Ahhh your waving beams from left to right Well then i would do a 520nm setup since that matches the red and blue at best. DPSS CNI can have between 0.7mrd and 1mrd so its a little thight. Keep in mind that DPSS is fragile, lots of people have problems with their dpss heads. Since you don,t need a superthight beam to match that red, maybe its good to concider a 5 - 6 watt 520nm.