Thread: 3D movies improved by laser projection?

Default 3D movies improved by laser projection?

Finally, a use for a 445 / 520 / 638 setup alongside a 462 / 532 / 650 setup!

I'm a little unsure of how the color is going to mix from eye to eye, though...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29212026

"Rather than using polarisation to separate the images, the new system depends on lasers that use different mixes of light wavelengths to create each colour seen on screen. Each of the glasses' two lenses is customised to only allow the wavelengths shown by either one or the other projector through."

Regardless, I still find 3-D to be gimmicky. You're taking a 2-D surface and emulating 3-D via stereoscopy. Until it can be truely immersive e.g. a 360° panoramic movie or hologram (in the Star Trek holo-deck sense of the word), it will always be gimmicky. IMHO. I just never feel immersed when I am looking at a moving stereoscope. I like that they are pushing things forward but I think we have reached the limits of emulation. I also like that they are getting away from the flicker and cross-talk of polarizing filters.

just my $0.02
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

tribbbe,

I take this the same way. As long as the dual sources are now available and different, but not too different then I think this will be much better than the alternative techniques. The production of three color filters with the sharp cut off is not trivial, but it can be done with enough layers and good thickness control. The cost will plummet when the quantity is there. Getting away from electronic shutter glasses, polarization control with metallic screens and god forbid red/green glasses will stimulate this market. But, it will be some time before it will be residential due to the need to duplicate the source with two projectors or one very unusual, 6 color projector.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Six and ten band Anaglyph systems are available off the shelf without laser sources. These use multiband dichroic notch filters.

Here is a 10 band system you can buy for off the shelf projectors using lamps. Read the reviews on 3D forums, you'll find very positive comments compared to polarization and sequential system topologies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Omega-Com...item2336873f4a

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-21-2014 at 05:18.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

The problem with modern 3D isn't the technology, it's the absence of understanding of the technology by the artists and bean-counters.

I have a 3D TV for the better part of a year and I've watched, I think, a grand total of maybe an hour's worth of 3D content. I think the problem with immersion is the viewing angle... you have this little window with exaggerated depth you're looking through, and the rest of your FOV is either black or not the same perspective. But, the cool bit will be what sorts of technologies will be percolating in to our laser entertainment projectors in five years.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Laser 3D has been readily available if you have Pangolin Basic or Professional for years. QM32 and QM2000 both have the analog Z outputs and QM32 had the field sequential TTL output as well.

Modified Anaglyph, Polarization Flipping, Dual Scan Head, Chromadepth Glasses, and LCD goggles have all been used with lasers since 1990 something.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...