Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: ildaGen - ILDA file creation tool

Ah, good to hear it became clearer

I just released a new minor version too. Sorry for the maybe overly frequent updates, but there's always some dumb bugs that pop up that I want get sorted out sooner rather than later. Other than bug fixes I added a small new feature, Copy/paste. When you have selected an object, you can now use Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+X to cut and Ctrl+V to paste objects on the same frame or to a different frame.

I am starting to run out of ideas besides the long-term plans, so if anyone have any more feature requests, please let me know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    I am starting to run out of ideas besides the long-term plans, so if anyone have any more feature requests, please let me know!!
    Maybe a good time for that video tutorial mentioned earlier in this thread for us noobs (me!) that have only just started to use any show creation software for the first time

is this software for purely only creating ilda stills?
    if not a timeline and masking feature will be a good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotta View Post
    Maybe a good time for that video tutorial mentioned earlier in this thread for us noobs (me!) that have only just started to use any show creation software for the first time
    Hm, I think I will wait with that until the program is out of beta, in a more stable state, because right now there is too many changes per update so that any video I make now may not be relevant any more in a few months.. Also my spoken English is not very good, so maybe I am just postponing it because I am embarrassed about my voice, heheh.

If you haven't already, you can read the manual, it explains much of what is possible. And of course if you have any specific questions about how to do this and that, I'd be happy to show you!

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    is this software for purely only creating ilda stills?
    if not a timeline and masking feature will be a good.
    Not just for stills, you can create animations too, both manually and automatically. But currently it is only meant for small ilda files, not for full shows, yes. You could technically make a full show, but it would be very tedious. But this will change eventually, I am definitely planning to add a proper timeline with layers and audio, etc. But this might be a while into the future, it's quite a bit of work. But I have already started.
    Even right now though, there is a tiny little timeline of sorts, the line visible below the frames, scope and points info text. It shows graphically what frame you are currently viewing and where the editing scope is.

A masking feature of sorts is also planned, but I'm not sure if I am thinking of exactly the same thing as you are. Could you elaborate a bit?
    Last edited by Grix; 12-15-2014 at 03:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    If you haven't already, you can read the manual, it explains much of what is possible. And of course if you have any specific questions about how to do this and that, I'd be happy to show you!
    Thanks for the offer Gitle! However I am aware my inability to check out all the features is purely down to me being at the beginning of my journey and lack of show creation terminology etc. As I was collecting parts and didn't yet have a projector, I hadn't spent too much time with show software yet, probably a mistake, probably not the last one i'll make. I've just activated my Pangolin trial so hopefully running through some tutorials for that might help me along with that.

Going back to features, what was in my head when I originally started researching Lasers was that I would find some software that would enable me to cue up individual ILDA snippets for want of a better word, easily set these to last a certain number of beats/bars, have advanced 'follow on' options for these snippets, so combinations could be preprogrammed but have randomness/chaos as required if needed, have this software be able to follow midi time-code being fed in, plus the ability to jump in and play live via a midi controller or OSC as required for a full multimedia show.
    Since owning my projector for the last week, I've managed to do all of this, but it does involve a fair bit of jumping through hoops and using stuff not for its intended purpose!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking along these lines, so any of these features would get my support and of course if you need someone to beta test for you.......

What I AM amazed at is just how much of each image you can move! Like if I create a figure with 6 or 7 lines, I can "move" 1, 2, 3, or ALL of them along, which makes for interesting image manipulation. However, that being said, THAT is also the biggest "limitation" I am into right now, as I can't figure out how to make 4 lines and move ALL 4 instead of having to move one at a time... I know about using the arrow keys and rotating them within the blue box, but maybe some way to include ALL the lines within and move them ALL the same way at the same time? Still, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the ability to move each separate piece of each creation....

Also, one other thing I noticed, when trying to "trace" .jpg's, .bmp's or .gif's, if I have a very small picture, the ildagen program seems to enlarge it greatly to the point where it almost fills the creation window. Not good when I already have a logo and am just trying to "trace out" a small laser image of it to "fly across the screen."

Quote Originally Posted by Spotta View Post
    Thanks for the offer Gitle! However I am aware my inability to check out all the features is purely down to me being at the beginning of my journey and lack of show creation terminology etc. As I was collecting parts and didn't yet have a projector, I hadn't spent too much time with show software yet, probably a mistake, probably not the last one i'll make. I've just activated my Pangolin trial so hopefully running through some tutorials for that might help me along with that.

Going back to features, what was in my head when I originally started researching Lasers was that I would find some software that would enable me to cue up individual ILDA snippets for want of a better word, easily set these to last a certain number of beats/bars, have advanced 'follow on' options for these snippets, so combinations could be preprogrammed but have randomness/chaos as required if needed, have this software be able to follow midi time-code being fed in, plus the ability to jump in and play live via a midi controller or OSC as required for a full multimedia show.
    Since owning my projector for the last week, I've managed to do all of this, but it does involve a fair bit of jumping through hoops and using stuff not for its intended purpose!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking along these lines, so any of these features would get my support and of course if you need someone to beta test for you.......
    Thanks for the suggestions! That is a whole different animal though.. Maybe one day I can look into that, but for now the focus of ildagen is creating the ilda snippets, not controlling them, at least not live. The program currently doesn't even support actual laser output, so I would have to start basically from scratch to make something like that

Quote Originally Posted by VibrationsOfDoom View Post
    What I AM amazed at is just how much of each image you can move! Like if I create a figure with 6 or 7 lines, I can "move" 1, 2, 3, or ALL of them along, which makes for interesting image manipulation. However, that being said, THAT is also the biggest "limitation" I am into right now, as I can't figure out how to make 4 lines and move ALL 4 instead of having to move one at a time... I know about using the arrow keys and rotating them within the blue box, but maybe some way to include ALL the lines within and move them ALL the same way at the same time? Still, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the ability to move each separate piece of each creation....

Also, one other thing I noticed, when trying to "trace" .jpg's, .bmp's or .gif's, if I have a very small picture, the ildagen program seems to enlarge it greatly to the point where it almost fills the creation window. Not good when I already have a logo and am just trying to "trace out" a small laser image of it to "fly across the screen."
    Yes, that is a limitation currently, you can only select and manipulate one object at once. But I am definitely planning to make several objects selectable at once sometimes soon.

As for the images, ildagen does indeed stretch all images to fit the whole square of the ilda file. For now, as a workaround I recommend to open the image in an image editor and adding blank borders around the image using the resize>canvas tool, so that the actual image stays small even when the whole image is at the full size. Same goes for aspect ratios that are not square, I recommend to add some blank borders to make it square before loading it into ildagen.

New version today, v0.9.7.2. Another relatively minor update. Much of my work since the last release have been in features that didn't make this release, but there are some new stuff.

The biggest change is that you can now save and load your ildaGen projects in a dedicated file format (.igf = IldaGen Frames) so that you can continue your work at a later time if you are making something that takes a lot of time. All information about separate objects and such are kept, in contrast to a regular export to ILDA. igf files are associated with ildagen when using the installer, so that you can just double click the files to open them firectly instead of opening ildagen itself and then clicking "load". Same goes for ilda files (but automatic file associations are not created).

You can now copy and paste whole objects spanning several frames instead of just one frame at a time.

Fixed several bugs and improved performance some.

New version again: v0.9.8

The biggest new feature is color blend modes. When reapplying properties, instead of just replacing the color, you can use additive or subtractive blending. This opens the door for many cool effects, for example this:

https://gfycat.com/WaryImperturbableAfricanwildcat

You can also use it to accomplish many common effects that there isn't a dedicated tool for yet, like fading in and out objects by using the subtractive blend mode and varying the reapplied color from white (removes all color) to black (unaffected), and layering several color animations on top of each other.

There are no other huge new features, but there are tons of tweaks and bug fixes so it's a much more solid release, updating is recommended. Some changes include context menus if you right click in the draw area, point interpolation when reapplying properties, a basic timeline with time and a custom FPS setting, and some graphical interface tweaks.

I am still very interested in hearing suggestions and critique.

Just downloaded v0.9.8 and it is really simple to use, way easier than I would expect for something so powerful and I will be buying the full version pretty soon.

Anywho I noticed that the blanking feature on circles is bugged. if you use it on an integer, the blanks don't line up. on half integers it is much better but still a little off.

One more thing, are licenses bound to one computer or one computer at a time?
    Last edited by Tomtortoise; 02-23-2015 at 10:51.