Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diodes and Drivers

Default Diodes and Drivers

Hello Everyone-

Not on here too much anymore. I hope you are all well. I am trying to catch up on all of this new and changing Diode LAser tech. I am looking to purchase just some raw diodes and drivers. Although, to be quite honest, I do not have a terrible amount of time to research each diode and wavelength to see what is good and what isn't. It seems like many of you have mastered these diodes. So, im looking to YOU for some very quick, basic, "dumbed down" advice. The answers do not need to be Seriouslly in depth or technically over informative.

I am simply looking for..."The new opnext 637 diodes with an "xyz" brass mount and "abc" lens and "123" driver will give you a pretty decent beam for about $100."

1) 637, 638, 640- Which seems to be the "best" diode? As far as ruggedness, basic, good beam quality and price : power output?
    2) What size is said diode? (it seems like there is 9mm, 12mm and some other weird sizes?)
    3) Any particular seller / housing / driver should I be looking to purchase from? DTR seems to be the man around here huh??

Same questions with 520 and 445/450 and 462.

ok, 445, 450 and 462. Is there REALLY a difference between 445 and 450? 462 It seems is a nifty, new, powerful color. am I correct?

Pretty much what I need is, concensus of best beam profiles with what lens'/housings? average prices and known GOOD sellers of said equipment.

YES- I know this is asking a lot, and is based on many other variables. but again, looking for *BASIC* concensus.

Thanks all.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Hi there,

I just can advise you about the 462nm color, there is *really* a difference between 445/450 and 462nm, with 462 it seems you just removed the purple color and thus it remains only a good true blue, with an increased brightness on top of that. Nothing such a difference between 445 and 450nm.

15 characters to follow this would also love to learn
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

I would recommend the Mitsu P73 diode for 638 red thru DTR with Daves 2mm lens and cyl lenses by .. hmm don't know .. prolly Dave although I haven't tried his. 462 is nice, again, DTR (Jordan) sells 'em .. w/ G2 lens and prisms or maybe cyls I typically use prisms on the blue diodes .. As far as the 520 green I have no experience yet w/ those .. Good luck Marc ..

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Hello Everyone-

ok, 445, 450 and 462. Is there REALLY a difference between 445 and 450? 462 It seems is a nifty, new, powerful color. am I correct?

Thanks all.
    I own 445 and 450 and have seen a 462 in action. I can tell the difference in color. Your mileage may vary.

I also own a 520 with a G2 lens. I am very happy with the color but you have to be careful with Dichros using this diode. Some Dichros that normally pass 532 will reflect some of the 520.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Is there any difference in the emitter size between the 700 and 1w 520's
    leading in trailing technology

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

You also asked about drivers and that hasn't been addressed yet. That still seems to be an issue for people however, X-Laser is going to be releasing a driver very, very soon that should hopefully become the standard and at a reasonable price point. It's been a few years in the making and was presented at SELEM. Best part is you should be able to consistently buy it and it not be some "here today, gone tomorrow" hobbyist driver.

We still need to get together. My availability window is getting rapidly closed though - maybe the week of Halloween.

Edit - and yes, DTR for your diodes and Dave for your mounts. I don't know about 12mm but, basically YOU'RE likely looking at 5.6mm and 9mm. I don't see you building a tiny single mode projector half watt projector with the 3.8mm diode kit DTR sells unless it's for personal programming use.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-24-2014 at 03:06.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Is there any difference in the emitter size between the 700 and 1w 520's
    The spot size/shape on them both look identical so I don't think there are any differences.

Sadly, I do not think we have found a replacement for the P-73/G-71. They still need all the optical correction....but....I have yet to set up the special filters like Planters did...THAT looks very good.....but one needs another 6 " in the optical path. Sometime the room is there, sometimes it is not ! I wonder if the big projector builders are knife edging many, many of the single emitter Oclaro and funneling them all thru telescope optics ??? BUT....more mounts = more opportunity for something to get knocked outa alignment !! Duno

The 520 is a beautiful stand alone color....but I keep reading it is NOT a good mix, especially when the yellow line is desirable !! Side benefit is that this LD HAS driven the 532 DPSS cost down. down and down !! Good.

I have not seen the 462, in person, but it looks like a perfect blue !! And several have converted !!

DTR is a great source, typically on the cutting edge of supply. unbelievable ship times and rock solid trustworthy !!!!

Drivers.....mmmmm....I really like LSP dual !!!! But....X-Laser makes really good product....Those would be options I would consider.

I am headed back into projectors, more so than in the last year, I was....errr..." focused " with other laser applications !!

Thanx to Swamidog's Eyemelting abstracts.....I am slowly turning back !!! Slowly learning with GLS and LSX !!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Thanx to Swamidog's Eyemelting abstracts.....I am slowly turning back !!! Slowly learning with GLS and LSX !!!
    oh sure, blame swamidog!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.