Thread: Laserscope Rod Seal, Z-FOLD

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Laserscope Rod Seal, Z-FOLD

Please ignore this post.

Posting a note for myself, thus archiving it on PL where I can find it.

For 4.95 mm YAG rod:

TRIAL Part number is Cascade ORT5MM Teflon 1.1 mm thickness, 4.93 ID

20 metric Thou is probably tight when compressed, on order, not sure yet.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-23-2014 at 12:21.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

7600 post and vast knowledge gets ya using the forum for a notebook privilege.

Sorry couldn't ignore
    leading in trailing technology

No, Not what you think... I'm putting it where it can be found five years from now.

There are two guys using scopes who badly need new rod seal rings right now. Since laser is their day job, this is posted where they can find it too. I'm not just using this as a notebook. Seal ring specifications don't exist outside of the AMS plant.

Guys who have used these for 20 years are having trouble finding new ones. I've called around and no one knows exactly what the seal is. Not even Mr. 532, although he did get me closer. It is a difficult problem.

The seal is 90 Durometer or greater Teflon or Hard Urethane and is crushed during installation. There are two standard o-ring sizes that are close, but not that close. The damaged one I have is halfway between a standard metric and a standard "English" o-ring. The two local o-ring suppliers are scratching their heads..

Parker Hannifin's head office is in my town and they didn't know what it was.

If the seal lets go, the cooling water fills the safety tubes on the cavity and floods the Q-switch or High Reflector mirror. If it gets past the Q-switch housing, it can, in theory, fill two more optics and the doubling crystal. Not a trivial matter if it trashes the whole laser in about 3 seconds.

There are two or three spiders that crawl PL. That was better then putting it on paper in the piling system.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-25-2014 at 05:07.

My comment was meant as a thank you, to you. Maybe the context was lost in message form.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    No, Not what you think... I'm putting it where it can be found five years from now.

There are two guys using scopes who badly need new rod seal rings right now. Since laser is their day job, this is posted where they can find it too. I'm not just using this as a notebook. Seal ring specifications don't exist outside of the AMS plant.

Guys who have used these for 20 years are having trouble finding new ones. I've called around and no one knows exactly what the seal is. Not even Mr. 532, although he did get me closer. It is a difficult problem.

The seal is 90 Durometer or greater Teflon or Hard Urethane and is crushed during installation. There are two standard o-ring sizes that are close, but not that close. The damaged one I have is halfway between a standard metric and a standard "English" o-ring. The two local o-ring suppliers are scratching their heads..

Parker Hannifin's head office is in my town and they didn't know what it was.

If the seal lets go, the cooling water fills the safety tubes on the cavity and floods the Q-switch or High Reflector mirror. If it gets past the Q-switch housing, it can, in theory, fill two more optics and the doubling crystal. Not a trivial matter if it trashes the whole laser in about 3 seconds.

There are two or three spiders that crawl PL. That was better then putting it on paper in the piling system.

Steve
    leading in trailing technology

Lightbulb

Sorry, but.. Why not just: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laserscope-C...51347570069..? Or, did they already sell-out?

..Ain't nothin' quite like the OEM-parts.. And they are getting harder and harder to find.. At-least, not for 'exorbitant' prices.. Soon, those that bought-up 'part-units' will find they've actually bought Gold mines.. (..at least till they sell them dry..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Jon, If only it was that Ebay easy. Looks like we found the correct o-ring, waiting for Karl to try it. His one cavity had bad o-rings ie the ex-medical unit.

Steve

I might have. PM me if you cant find.
    Adam