Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New purchase for me - TODAY!

Default New purchase for me - TODAY!

Well this was my sixth SELEM this past weekend. It was awesome as usual,Buffo always does a great job putting to together,
    BUT the big thing is - I finally purchase a projector.

I wanted to just do this ONCE so, I bought a Kvant Clubmaster 1800 from Pangolin and a Etherdream DAC from swamidog.

Just walked in the door of my place with it.

So, being a totatlly new user, any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

I'm a Mac user (No snide remarks please.)
    I'm looking for good resources to read and learn with.
    Currently considering purchasing Maxwell (Mac) and LSX (under Parallels) - Maybe Quickshow later.

Thanks

icecruncher

Congratulations on your purchase!

Etherdream and LSX are a great way to start. If you were at the presentation for LSX with Swamidog and I. Hopefully you got a couple tips out of it as well as Maxwell with Johnny.

If you're interested here is a living manual for LSX if you want to take a look at it send a pm.

Also, a lot of us who use LSX hang out in the IRC chat room so are happy to help with any questions you have with it.

Looking forward to seeing new content from you.

I will second getting LSX if you want to make a timeline show. If you just want to make some cool abstracts really quick I would get Maxwell.

If you need help with anything shoot me a PM. I live in Fort Mill which is 20 minutes away from uptown.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

What everyone has said! Maxwell and LSX are certainly not mutually exclusive - especially at the price-point for Maxwell. Want to just chill, twiddle some knobs, and watch swirly things - Maxwell is about as simple as it gets (I hope)... Want to spend a bit more time and create a show perfectly synced to the song of your choice - this is where timeline show software like LSX really shine. Don't forget, that even though Maxwell doesn't have a timeline, you can indeed export to ILDA files and then simply drag and drop those files right onto the LSX timeline.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the fact that maxwell can export ILDA really makes it an awesome tool.

well.. not to mention the beautiful abstracts it creates.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    What everyone has said! Maxwell and LSX are certainly not mutually exclusive - especially at the price-point for Maxwell. Want to just chill, twiddle some knobs, and watch swirly things - Maxwell is about as simple as it gets (I hope)... Want to spend a bit more time and create a show perfectly synced to the song of your choice - this is where timeline show software like LSX really shine. Don't forget, that even though Maxwell doesn't have a timeline, you can indeed export to ILDA files and then simply drag and drop those files right onto the LSX timeline.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Congratulations and welcome to the slippery slope. The Clubmax 1800 should bring you a lot of joy.
    (But I *really* want to make a snide comment about the Mac.)
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    (But I *really* want to make a snide comment about the Mac.)
    I know, but interesting that most the people at SELEM had macbooks running emulation INSTEAD of real pc laptops

So, thank everyone for the comments.

I ordered LSX Basic (should be here this week) and already bought Maxwell in the last couple days.

Hardware wise, I have a good handle on what is going on and specs, scanners, blanking, etc, the way it all goes together and what is happening in general.
    Software wise, I haven't a clue other than the few Presentations I've been to - so my learning curve may be a little steep and I may ask some people on here some stupid questions.

So my first one.
    If I have a permanent installation, do I leave the power button on with the projector? is that a problem, or do I need to physically press the power button and turn off if I'm not using it for a while? Or is there the ability to do it via the DAC or ?

Can't wait until next year to see what you do with it!
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    Can't wait until next year to see what you do with it!
    yeah!

i want to see some awesome LSX shows from you next year.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

As far as your power button, if it's accessible, I would turn it off when you're not using the laser. If it's not accessible, I would just unplug it from the wall or, if that's not easily accessed, I would use a wireless ac remote - similar to what they sell at Christmas time for turning on and off Christmas lights. It won't exactly "hurt" it to be left on all the time but, personally I wouldn't. There is no way to turn off and on AC power via a command through a DAC.
    My power buttons are always in the on position - even in storage, because since they are always placed high up in the air, I just plug them in and unplug them. It sucks putting the ladder away after set up, plugging them in and then discover, oops! I have to climb up and turn on the power button - or find a really long stick and try to hit it just right to push the button.
    PM Sent...