Thread: Fog + Fire Detectors?

Default Fog + Fire Detectors?

I am planning on bringing my fogger to a Halloween party (no lasers) in an apartment. A fear I have is tripping the fire alarm.

1) What types of fire alarms are tripped by fog machines?
    2) How would I go about bypassing them (it may be difficult to do this without contacting maintenance)

I'm just going to thank everyone right here in advance for your knowledge
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

#1 trick..... plastic shower cap. Slip one of those babies over the smoke detector and you should be golden. Just don't forget to take it off!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    1) What types of fire alarms are tripped by fog machines?
    Pretty much all of them. The only kinds that are not affected are the heat-sensing ones. All particulate smoke detectors will alarm if fog reaches them.

2) How would I go about bypassing them (it may be difficult to do this without contacting maintenance)
    The shower-cap method works well. In a pinch, a wet towel and a rubber band will suffice though.

If you can't find the detector (ie: it's mounted in the ductwork or something), then you have to disable the alarm at the panel. This would require the assistance (and permission) of the building manager. Not an easy thing to get. This is probably only applicable if you're in a public meeting room (like a common party area for the entire apartment complex or something). If we're just talking about someone's private apartment, then they should have wall or ceiling mounted smoke detectors that will be easy to locate and cover.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Big venues are used to this. You ask them to have the local FD or building security staff stand a fire watch. This allows for the panel to be partially disabled. Some times this costs a fee, sometimes it doesn't.

Most venues know about the problem and have a procedure. If the venue has fog or haze machines, let them handle it, bringing your machine for "accents".

If there ever was a fire, and a shower cap was found on the detector, some one is possibly going to jail. The building's insurance may not pay or maybe revoked if that is found. If you use the showercap and it takes a lift machine/ladder to get to the detector, #1 step is to place a reminder post-it note on the inside of your windshield. Before #2 step, installing the showercap.

Pilots use checklists for a reason... No reason not to have a laserist's checklist when doing gigs.

I've always gotten panels defeated. But I do field stuff mainly for professionals...

Faint haze is less likely to trip a detector then gross amounts of Aquafog.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-26-2014 at 06:09.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...