Thread: does fan affect laser power?

Default does fan affect laser power?

So recently I noticed a significant decrease in brightness in the green in my laser. After opening the case I noticed the fan wasnt working, it only twitched from time to time.After unscrewing the fan part I noticed the wires were almost disconnected. I had to re-solder the wires and the fan now works fine. After that my green brightness went back up.
    Ive never tried to fix a module before so my question to experienced here is how likely is for fan failure to decrease laser power? I just want to know the likelyhood of something else being wrong and me just being lucky with the power oming back to normal for now.
    My guess is theres a heat sensor or something which controls the laser power and prevents overheating and damage.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the efficiency of the dpss lasers is coupled to its thermal management. they absolutely drop power if they're too warm or too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by zorn View Post
    So recently I noticed a significant decrease in brightness in the green in my laser. After opening the case I noticed the fan wasnt working, it only twitched from time to time.After unscrewing the fan part I noticed the wires were almost disconnected. I had to re-solder the wires and the fan now works fine. After that my green brightness went back up.
    Ive never tried to fix a module before so my question to experienced here is how likely is for fan failure to decrease laser power? I just want to know the likelyhood of something else being wrong and me just being lucky with the power oming back to normal for now.
    My guess is theres a heat sensor or something which controls the laser power and prevents overheating and damage.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I would check the dpss modules, TEC cooler's ( do a resistance check),
    from my experience , TEC peltiers really don't last as long as people assume they do.
    for example, I have to replace the TEC , on my green laser module, around every 7-8 months (it is used 2-3 times weekly),
    when it goes bad, the green laser cycles on and off.
    And its allways the pump diode's TEC cooler.
    The thing I learned though, is that tec's just don't last that long, and I think that is probably what causes a lot of dpss laser failures , due to overheating and damaging the crystal and / or the pump diode.
    Fortunately for me, is that my green laser module, has a built in overheat protection, and that's probably the reason my module has lasted over 5 years.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine