Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New OSRAM 488nm diode

Those 488nm D.I. diodes have been out there for a while, the problem is that the last time I checked , probably a year ago, they were ~ $3000.00 each Ö The prices have come down then?

here's an old thread on 'em ..

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ht=488nm+diode
    Last edited by steve-o; 09-30-2014 at 11:38. Reason: added linky

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Those 488nm D.I. diodes have been out there for a while, the problem is that the last time I checked , probably a year ago, they were ~ $3000.00 each Ö The prices have come down then?

here's an old thread on 'em ..

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ht=488nm+diode
    The difference being, those were from Nichia, who does not do sales for any order under 10,000+ units. I am happy that OSRAM is in the diode game!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I have been trying on them for a few weeks. They will be coming soon from what i am told.
    When looking at what we can do in therms of color variations and power i would like to have a 671nm diode from Sony. When using the 660nm diodes i was quite happy with the brightness you get from them and i liked the less orange red. A mix of 671 and 638 would give a very nice bandwidth in therms of red. Its also a very nice high power diode used that is used in industrial applications. With all the variaty we have in single mode and multimode reds that are 638nm it would be nice to have the sony diode since its not a few mw but 500mw in one package. You could even do 2 diodes of 671 and mix a 638 mitsubishi to have a really nice mix.

http://www.prophotonix.com/uploads/d...ets/SON001.pdf

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    now we need a true yellow! think of it 642/520/588/488/462/445 single mode! What would cost a ton is the dichro to mix it all. Would be a pain to align I bet. CMYK color. bye bye Ar/Kr
    Now what we really need is all that in 1 x 3W diode.

Imagine if you could modulate the colour ie wavelength as well as the power......

imagine a single device that you could dial up any wavelength between 700 and 400nm in a 5 watt module with perfect modulation, .01mrad divergence and a 1mm beam to start tem00. It actually exists. Mixedgas can comment. Costs something like 100k usd

I would be happy with a single mode low powered 6 wavelength module. If the divergence is damn low you get allot of brightness anyway. 6 color projector in the size of a milkpackage. Nice project for a cold or rainy sunday afternoon

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Lightbulb

...Posting to track.. And..

imagine a single device that you could dial up any wavelength between 700 and 400nm ...It actually exists. Mixedgas can comment.
    ..You thinking a 'supercontinuum' fiber laser? ie: http://www.fianium.com/supercontinuum.htm ..Yes, you can 'dial-up any line', but.. a) No way I know of to digitally-modulate the lines, 'independent of each other' with those, and b) If you're thinking 'PCAOM!', well, they are only 'quazi-cw', and even at 20-40Mhz, I think you'd still have 'unwanted interference' / wierdness thru a PCAO.. and I bet there'd be 'sync-wierdness' when scanning, too.. (ie: think, 'spiral-rasters' / abstracts, etc.. could get mighty-funky, real-quick..)

..So.. *sigh* the 'Holy Grail' of an indi-line-addressable / modulatable, all-contiguous beam-qual / specs, DI-based 7-8+ color-line 'whitelight' is still just a pipedream.. But.. it's coming.. When / how much, is the question..

..Or ya can just use a Purelight..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I wonder if it could be done with superposition using lasers in the uv and ir range. Thinking like heterodyne for audio or radio. prob need a non linear mixing crystal. guess that is like dpss.

Hoping it's true that these really will be available soon.

I've been drooling over their many 488's, and even 505nm rated diodes for quite some time now.

Their full "line-up"
    http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/product/laser.html
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

imagine a single device that you could dial up any wavelength between 700 and 400nm in a 5 watt module with perfect modulation, .01mrad divergence and a 1mm beam to start tem00. It actually exists. Mixedgas can comment. Costs something like 100k usd
    Mixedgas has serviced them. Cost is not coming down anytime soon because of lack of demand.

However, if you start with 30-60-100 watts of Qswitched IR, RGB is not hard.
    Systems have been sold before. In fact one PLer has one abandoned one setting in his warehouse for years. I'd love to get my hands on it, but he won't budge. Yet he wont fix it, either. ~20 watts of RBG off a 110V plug. Cost new was megabucks. Sold at auction for nothing.

Using various combinations of ND:YAG and ND:YLF you get:

Red, nm Green, nm Blue, nm

High power:
    660 532 440

LOW POWER:
    671 540 447
    669 527 446
    657 524 438

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...