Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New OSRAM 488nm diode

Such a shame. I wouldn't even care if it was only 30~50mW. That would be enough to brighten up the blue color palette for a small SM rig. 488nm or even 473nm sm blues would be nice. It's too bad the light show industry doesn't have much pull. It would be cool if vendors like Jordan could get a Kickstarter running for a batch of several thousand 100+mW blues like these. I don't know how long it would take to clear out that stock but it probably wouldn't be feasible. Oh well.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Such a shame. I wouldn't even care if it was only 30~50mW. That would be enough to brighten up the blue color palette for a small SM rig. 488nm or even 473nm sm blues would be nice. It's too bad the light show industry doesn't have much pull. It would be cool if vendors like Jordan could get a Kickstarter running for a batch of several thousand 100+mW blues like these. I don't know how long it would take to clear out that stock but it probably wouldn't be feasible. Oh well.
    Yeah, it blows. Unfortunately, the self contained "wiggle boxes" have pretty much pushed the art out of the hobby/industry. "Hey- it's RGB right? Whaddaya want?"
    I fear for the time being if you want that beautiful Argon palette, you're stuck with an ion.

We really need the video projector industry to adopt these. However, with 445nm providing a wider palette and being cheaper, there's little incentive.

I keep hoping we'll see a move to all diode video projectors because it will push the price of all colours down and allow brighter projectors whilst maintaining blacks, which is good for emulaser use and brings video closer to eg an LED screen. However, it doesn't seem to be happening yet at anything other than cinema level projectors, which lets face it neither sell in huge numbers or are within reach of the average emulaser user.

The current crop of 445 lasers started as a blue source for flat panel tellies- The first ones to hit the market were pullouts from Sanyo TV's if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by glorocks View Post
    The current crop of 445 lasers started as a blue source for flat panel tellies- The first ones to hit the market were pullouts from Sanyo TV's if I remember correctly.
    Also, the first attempts at raster scanned laser video projectors used the blue krypton line rather than the blue argon lines- Ar was only used for green.

Mitsubishi also had a system called laservue, dpss for green and i believe 445 or450 for blue and 638 for red, all class 4 lasers, i think i still have my literature as i was the only tech at the shop i worked at authorized to work on them, never got the chance to service one, they did not sell well and cost a lot of money
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Draco-
    You have a very interesting range of hobbies. Methinks we would get along quite well.