Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So...anyone seen the new Pangolin-associated product mentioned at SELEM 2014 yet?

I posted about the Mr. Christmas device a few weeks ago. Consensus at that time was this was not likely to be the Pangolin-Inside device, but at this point all we have is conjecture.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...s-new-for-2014

No 506 in there thats just spinning diffraction gratings
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I don't know what is in there but the diffraction grating isn't creating the image in the middle . It is being scanned.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I don't know what is in there but the diffraction grating isn't creating the image in the middle . It is being scanned.
    Nope. Don't think so. It's a grating effect with a burst effect. I haven't ripped open this style of projector yet but, it's a fairly common effect in some of these cheap $30-$50 lasers on eBay from China. Chauvet has at least one or two models that do a similar thing - you may have seen one of them at SELEM whether you realized it or not. I've had them in Club SELEM and the auditorium past two years although have only briefly turned them on.

I should probably pop one open as I'm curious how they jump from pattern to pattern. I'm wondering if it isn't like a poly 10 style wheel and a rotator. Maybe I'll have an answer in a couple hours when I get to work.

Here's one at $22.50:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-R-G-Las...item3396296242
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 10-04-2014 at 04:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Nope. Don't think so. It's a grating effect with a burst effect.
    Hmm. OK. It says it has a laser but maybe that's just for the dots and as a light source. Some of the patterns did look a little crisp for a scanner. I didn't think that was the device Pangolin talked about anyway but wanted to share it.

My local HD doesn't even have the Christmas stuff out yet... just halloween. My local Lowes has all of their Christmas stuff up, but nothing laser-based on display.

none here in nc it looks like their is a old model and new model 1 advertisement said new oct 2014 the old has a wheel

I think this one has scanners.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Christ...specifications

When I was clicking around a few different websites I saw a repair kit for this one and it was a set of Galvos. I suspect from the videos of this projector that the scanners are only 15kpps but they could be upgrading the device with 506s for the new model that is going to hit this year. Who knows.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    This would be considered an out door venue and although it is terminated I have read in other threads you would still need FAA approval for out door laser projection.
    This is a gray area. The CDRH doesn't have jurisdiction on what you do in your backyard since there is no commerce involved, but the FAA can still claim jurisdiction as protector of air traffic.

However, as a general rule, fully-terminated shows are automatically approved by the FAA. Furthermore, the FAA hasn't said anything about using laser pointers for star-gazing events, provided that the pointers are not aimed at aircraft. (Astronomy clubs don't have to file for an FAA letter of non-objection every time they have a star party and use a pointer to show constellations to people.)

This would be an interesting question to pose to an FAA official. However, my understanding is that they would have a very hard time regulating anything you did in your own backyard, provided that 1) there was no threat to aircraft (ie: fully-terminated) and 2) no commercial entity was involved. I must admit that I am not 100% sure on this though.

I use one of these at a Christmas lights venue that is accepting money to drive through a light display would I need a variance?
    Yes. Once you introduce commerce (even indirect commerce), then you MUST have a variance. No question on that score.

Adam