Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So...anyone seen the new Pangolin-associated product mentioned at SELEM 2014 yet?

That's what the thread appeared to imply. Either way, it doesn't matter really.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    it was implied during bill's presentation at SELEM.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Well, it does matter really. Bill has said the FB4 isn't really something that that could be hacked by us, but if the product also includes 506's, I'm fairly sure that people would be interested.
    But Bill only referenced the FB4 type embedded product in his post, which was why i queried where the 506's came into it.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

If you read back through the previous page Norty and the top of this one, most people were talking about looking for a product containing 506 scanners as opposed to diffraction gratings. The FB4 didn't get a mention until Bill's post.

As for the FB4, Bill's already said, it will be nerfed so it won't accept ILDA commands. Equally, if it contains 506's at bargain price point, then I'd expect the drivers to be integrated all into the 1 board in a way so as to prevent reverse engineering by all but the most skilled to stop the product being bought for cannibalisation, although only Bill will know for sure at this point what it contains and how it's designed.

Mmmhh...

I have maybe an idea : since the 3D printer market comes more and more important, adding the fact that we start to see high-definition print quality, adding the fact that Bill mentioned one day that C506 are/will be used by 3D printers...

My guess : C506 will be used with a high power UV singlemode laser diode (>1W SM exists), the whole thing controlled by an embedded "FB4" (or whatever the name of it). This way, they sell product for "hobbyist and family".

Take a look at this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nal-3d-printer

Presse "pause" button at 2:10. Aren't they PT-20K ?
    With C506, the integration could be easier because they are smaller, adding the fact that they scan wider -> height of the 3D printer reduced !

--- www.neodym.be ---

It wasn't clear to me after the briefing whether actual 506s were to be included in this product, or whether a licensed-506-design was going to be included. Rather, not sure the manufacturer was going to be the same as the currently shipping 506s. Anyone else remember?

Our Compact 506 galvanometers are already used in some 3D printers, and I believe that this will continue to increase in the coming years.

Bill

I'm curious about the "embedded FB4". I'm assuming at the minimum it is a microcontroller with a DAC interface on the downstream side. Where does output content come from? Flash RAM? Is it something that each manufacturer would customize (or you would customize for them) firmware-wise or does it have a standard firmware set? You said it can't be hooked up to Beyond, which is understandable. Does it have the electronic parts to allow it to be hooked up to something else? To get straight to the point, does the hardware exist on it to be used as a generic DAC for instance? Not that I would go hacking a device just for a DAC but if it could be reused for something that would be cool.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

my money is on either a sd card reader or animations burned into eprom like the cheap chinese dmx laser show boards.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I'm curious about the "embedded FB4". I'm assuming at the minimum it is a microcontroller with a DAC interface on the downstream side. Where does output content come from? Flash RAM? Is it something that each manufacturer would customize (or you would customize for them) firmware-wise or does it have a standard firmware set? You said it can't be hooked up to Beyond, which is understandable. Does it have the electronic parts to allow it to be hooked up to something else? To get straight to the point, does the hardware exist on it to be used as a generic DAC for instance? Not that I would go hacking a device just for a DAC but if it could be reused for something that would be cool.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    It wasn't clear to me after the briefing whether actual 506s were to be included in this product, or whether a licensed-506-design was going to be included. Rather, not sure the manufacturer was going to be the same as the currently shipping 506s. Anyone else remember?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Our Compact 506 galvanometers are already used in some 3D printers, and I believe that this will continue to increase in the coming years.

Bill
    Sorry, I meant not in the 3D printers, but in the forthcoming Mystery Device mentioned in the thread title.