Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diving into an RGB Projector

Default Diving into an RGB Projector

So after running my 1000 mW Green laser for the last year I am ready for an RGB projector. So I come to you with a couple questions.

Is there some sort of manual out there that gives instructions for making one of these things or should I sew together a plan from the threads of this message board?

I have gathered that purchasing my blue laser from Laserver is the way to go but what about the red and green? Should I buy them all from Laserver or someone else?

I have collected that I will need 3 lasers, scanners, drivers, amps, ir filters, and software. Will I need anything else?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks for your time.

Matt
    Have a good one -

Matt

Also you already know the most important things

Lasever is I think the best quality/price you can find for blue. But there is always better quality, for more expensive...

For the red I recommand MAxyz modules 225mW (or 2x 225mW), the beam divergeance and diameter are very good (important when mixing with other colors) and affordable...

For mixing colors, you need 2 dichro filters (1 reflect red 1 and reflect blue) with adjustable mounts.

Matt ... hi mate
    are you looking to do pubic shows ...

if yes ...

the first thing to look at is safety ( i guess you already know that though ) as that sort of power can blind at an instant ... do you have scan failure and safety shutters ... estops etc .... on your rig ....

I think that if you can hapily and confidently control 1W of green with regard to public safety then you are ready for the rest ....

sorry to sound a bit like the laser police ... but its all about safety

again .... buddy .... we all are here to enjoy safe lasers ....

all the best..... KARL

PS edit ... sorry to sound an ass ... but i have seen so many people recently having high power (wepons) lasers and firing them at the public

all the best mate
    Last edited by Banthai; 03-30-2007 at 01:28.

Thumbs up

I'll second the Maxyzmod recommendation. I have a 200mW and it's probably my best laser. I have a CNI blue cause I won it in a cheap auction, and my green is crap, but I have a low power RGB projector.

Are you going to go all DPSS or you gonna play with any gas? I'm a DPSS man after having an argon blue for a while. It looked like it should have been mounted on a space ship and sounded like a vacumme cleaner... Or you could go BIG gas and then I would suggest you speak with clandestiny. He has a couple...

You're missing an enclosure and certifications... If you're gonna do public shows.

Welcome! This place is a treasure trove of info. We're all lucky spec let's us hang out...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default Moving right along!

And from the new information sprouteth a whole new stream of inquiries!

Karl - Yes I do have a safety shutter on my 1 watt projector. And yes I will build in safety of course with this rgb setup. I am not aware of estops and who sells them? Please enlighten me. Thanks for watching out!

So I am gathering that the MAxyz red lasers are the way to go for DPSS. If I want to go gas is it pretty easy? Does the blanking work the same as a DPSS laser with 0-5v modulation or do I have to run another galvo to blank? About combining red DPSS lasers… what is the procedure for that?

Then I will need the green laser. Any recommendations?

I think I will move in the direction of going with the DT-40 pro’s for scanning. This seems like a good value to me.

And what about buying dichros – I understand that That I need 3 of them with mounts. Any recommendations on where to buy them and what quality to buy? Not trying to go pro here just finding that middle line value.

Thanks all –

Matt
    Have a good one -

Matt

Lightbulb

The maxyzmod is a diode laser not dpss. They have one that has two of them already combined for around 400mW. They use a combining cube and two that are of opposite polarities. You specify when you buy them if you want ttl or analogue modulation.

I hear lasever is a good dpss for your other green and blues. Edmunton Optics is where everone says to get optic. They're about $45 a dichro. I got my blue optic from there and a cheaper one off eBay for my green. Depending on positioning you only really need to dichros and maybe one mirror.

Hi Matt

the estop i meant was the large red "Emergency Stop" button ...

i have a box at both the projector end and the controldesk end ....

the desk box has a key switch that cannot be removed when its in the on position.... the key i have attached to my body via a cord so only i can make the laser live whilst at the desk and also on this box is an Estop that will kill the laser supply should all other safety measures fail

i also have an estop at the projector end as well

just for my peace of mind really .... maybe some will think im over cautious ....

all the best ... Karl

Lightbulb

That's kind of funny. I was thinking about some way to make something similar with a wireless remote.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I was thinking about some way to make something similar with a wireless remote.
    In my projector I installed a wireless command on my shutter with a little pocket remote control, with 100 meters range
    Just a wireless relay in series with the shutter... It is funny to control the laser from far (but just ON/OFF)

I have been messaging with Jem to avoid asking the same questions over and over here.

The green projector I have really doesn't scan wide enough... I am not sure the angel it does but I can tell you it's pretty minimal. Is there a scanning system that is comparable in price and quality to the DT40Pro's but that has a nice wide angle? Keep in mind I still want to do animations.

Also I looked but could not find a thread that gave a ratio amounts of RtoGtoB
    Is is somthing like
    twice as much red as blue and green?

Thanks team
    Have a good one -

Matt