Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Windows 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    554

    Default Windows 10

    A stale old joke...

    Why is 6 afraid of 7?

    Because 7 8 9.

    Yep, there's no 9- MS jumped from 8 to 10. I just loaded up the new trial moments ago and the first thing I noticed is that ye olde Start Menu looks more like the
    old days... Progress!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Honestly, I love Microsoft stuff. The only problem with them is the blunders. When they hit the right combination, they really do knock it out of the park. I don't think any other computer company can say that they have had a software that was as successful as WinXP. Seriously, 13 years of support. In the tech field, that is an eternity. The only thing that will save Microsoft, going forward, is for them to stop charging people to beta test their software! ME, Vista, 8.0............ you get the idea!
    Those who fail to grasp art are the ones who criticize it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Rumor has it that a lot off old (ancient) software detected Windows 95 & 98 (SE) by detecting if the edition name started with "Windows 9". Then there could also be marketing/internationalization reasons to skip the number 9.

    Not saying its perfect (far from it but software used at this scale never is) but there are quite a few decisions in the past that may seem odd at first but can be traced back to backward compatibility. You could probably still run a program from the NT4 days (unless it needs to talk to the hardware driver directly for example). This is its strength & weakness.

    For now I keep running Win7 as it suits my needs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,730

    Default

    If your missing the start menu then this is the answer.

    http://www.classicshell.net

    Another old Windows joke, Microsoft are creating a new OS that has the best of Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT. It will be named Windows CEMENT.

    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8.1 with ClassicShell and an SSD. Boots to login in 4 seconds. Win 8 is fast!
    This space for rent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    It boots fast because it never shuts down all the way. That is why it takes forever when powering down. I also used classicshell and it gives some of functionality of Windows 7 to you but it mainly makes it look like Win7. I also didn't like the forcing of downloading apps from the Microsoft store. I would like to just go to netflix.com. I don't want a netflix app. Things like that. Great for tablets and other touch devices, very shitty for desktop use.
    Those who fail to grasp art are the ones who criticize it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    Rumor has it that a lot off old (ancient) software detected Windows 95 & 98 (SE) by detecting if the edition name started with "Windows 9". Then there could also be marketing/internationalization reasons to skip the number 9.
    I don't know how stupid a programmer would have to be to do that when there are version numbers available by API. So, I doubt that rumor is correct. Regardless, I doubt Microsoft would care enough to do that that since they don't even allow Visual Studio to run on Windows XP.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    The only thing that will save Microsoft, going forward, is for them to stop charging people to beta test their software!
    How so? They have been offering free tech previews of their windows and visual studio products (ie beta versions) for years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    How so? They have been offering free tech previews of their windows and visual studio products (ie beta versions) for years.
    It was a joke. People bought Windows ME, Vista and 8.*. Microsoft listened to the complaints and ME became XP, Vista became 7, and 8.* will become 10. For the record, I liked Vista but I also had a monster machine at the time that could handle it too. It didn't plague me all that much.
    Those who fail to grasp art are the ones who criticize it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    It was a joke. People bought Windows ME, Vista and 8.*. Microsoft listened to the complaints and ME became XP, Vista became 7, and 8.* will become 10. For the record, I liked Vista but I also had a monster machine at the time that could handle it too. It didn't plague me all that much.
    You CAN just go to Netflix.com if you want, btw. You don't have to use the Windows Store app.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,382

    Default

    Windows 10? Really? I'll just wait for Windows 14 or 15. It'll probably be available next year

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •