Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations for laser power output testing equipment

Default recommendations for laser power output testing equipment

Hello,

I need to have the ability to test laser beam output power in watts, and I've been looking around on various equipment to do so, but I have a couple questions:

1. What is the difference between laser power and laser energy testing equipment?

2. Are there any good options out there for someone on a tight budget?

Thanks,
    Laserism

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it would be helpful to know where you are, the power range of the lasers you're measuring, and what you're measuring them for.

if you're just interested in knowing raw power, it's fairly easy. if you're interested in measuring for crowd scanning, it's much more complex.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hello swamidog,

I'm in Colorado. I would like to be able to test up to 15 watts of a single diode output. I just want to be sure that the actual output is similar to the unit's advertised or listed output. No audience scanning.

I still would appreciate if someone would explain the difference between a laser "output" test vs. a laser "energy" test.

http://www.cascadelaser.com/lapome.html

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    it would be helpful to know where you are, the power range of the lasers you're measuring, and what you're measuring them for.
    if you're just interested in knowing raw power, it's fairly easy. if you're interested in measuring for crowd scanning, it's much more complex.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's unclear from that website.

my guess is optical vs. thermal.

Quote Originally Posted by laserism View Post
    Hello swamidog,

I'm in Colorado. I would like to be able to test up to 15 watts of a single diode output. I just want to be sure that the actual output is similar to the unit's advertised or listed output. No audience scanning.

I still would appreciate if someone would explain the difference between a laser "output" test vs. a laser "energy" test.

http://www.cascadelaser.com/lapome.html

thanks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Power is energy per unit of time. Watts = Joules per second. Power is usually measured from continuous (CW) lasers and energy from pulsed lasers. For the level of power you're interested in (15W) you probably want a power meter with thermal detector. The response time is not as fast as a photodiode but not so wavelength dependent or as easily damaged. Check eBay. Good luck.

I would recommend a Gentec, they have several types. I like the UNO since its a no noncense one with a Big display for taking pictures. But have a look on their website so you can compare the various types to make the choice that suits best for your application:

https://www.gentec-eo.com/products/monitors

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Hello swamidog,

That sounds like almost a ONE OFF test , which i guess would not mean you want to spend $$$$ thousands ?

Laserbee is well quoted , it might not be suitable for scientific research or evidence in a court but should give a
    reliable enough figure ... http://www.bauer-ee.com/index.php?op...d=1&Itemid=102

i think if you contact them through PL you get a discount !
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Sorry i may have mislead you there , it seems they only do power meters upto 3 watts
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Lightbulb

..I would like to be able to test up to 15 watts of a single diode output. ..
    ..a *single diode*?? Or do you mean a 'single diode-module'? Either way, sounds like you're talking IR? (due to such a hi power-level from a "single" source..) If not IR, what 'color' are you talking, and what's the 'beam-profile' like? Makes a difference in 'recommendation'..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I would recommend a Gentec, they have several types. I like the UNO since its a no noncense one with a Big display for taking pictures. But have a look on their website so you can compare the various types to make the choice that suits best for your application:

https://www.gentec-eo.com/products/monitors
    thanks for the recommendation