Thread: Near-new KVANT Spectrum 3.5W RGB (with 1.5W of 632nm) :O

Default Near-new KVANT Spectrum 3.5W RGB (with 1.5W of 632nm) :O

Hi Folks, I have a near-new Kvant Spectrum 3.5W RGB for sale.

The nominal power levels are 632nm 1.5W, 532nm 1.0W, 445nm 1.0W. You can see actual measurements for each wavelength in the photos (with the RGB test switch enabled and each power knob dialed to the max). With 1.5W of 632nm, this unit has significantly higher white-balanced power than competing systems claiming the same total power level. Also, 632nm means that the red beam profile is well matched to the green and blue beam profiles, unlike the 650nm flashlights available elsewhere.

This is the 230VAC version suitable for use in Europe or Australia. You could use it in the USA with a 115V to 230V step-up transformer. I bought this from LSP in 2012, and I have put around 100 hours of testing on it. It never left my laser lab/cleanroom, so it's in as-new condition.

The 3.5W Spectrum is a special build of the 3.0W version (by the Kvant factory, not modified by me) with extra diodes to achieve the 3.5W 642nm output for better white balance. Inside the diode modules every diode is individually protected with genuine Pangolin Lasorbs. The scan set is the higher-performance Cambridge Technology 6215H option, with driver boards factory tuned for ILDA 40k. Unfortunately the DAC I have can't drive it at 40k, so the circle is outside the square in my photo. This is a quality piece of European-made equipment easily distinguished from Chinese projectors.

The system for sale includes the projector, flight case, power cable, and a very long ILDA cable. The packed weight of everything together is 37Kg. I'm selling it because I have just relocated to the USA for a new long-term contract and I won't have time to work with it for a very long time. The projector is still back in Australia, but my warehouse can pack and ship it anywhere in the world. I'm not sure what the current value of this projector is, so I've just taken a big chunk off the price I paid in 2012. I will sell it to the first comer at 5000 USD, or you can make me an offer.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will gladly assist. Regards, weartronics

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Nice. Looks just like one of mine except mine has DMX as well. I'm dealing with the whole, modifying it for use on US electricity, thing right now. I ran mine with a step up transformer for a long time. Apparently there is one transformer inside that can be switched from 220v to 110v should someone in the US want to take a crack at this. It powers the health meter that you see displayed on the LED screen above. The power supplies inside though are all 90-240v (at least on mine.) But, since it's first in the chain, the laser thinks it wants 220v to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Nice. Looks just like one of mine except mine has DMX as well. I'm dealing with the whole, modifying it for use on US electricity, thing right now. I ran mine with a step up transformer for a long time. Apparently there is one transformer inside that can be switched from 220v to 110v should someone in the US want to take a crack at this. It powers the health meter that you see displayed on the LED screen above. The power supplies inside though are all 90-240v (at least on mine.) But, since it's first in the chain, the laser thinks it wants 220v to run.
    Yes, the transformer you refer to is the only part which precludes 110V operation - the three other power supplies are either universal or switchable (look for the red switches on the long sides inside). The transformer is located on the "measurement and instrumentation" (MAI) board, which is available in 110V and 220V versions, and this projector has the 220V version. A conversion would certainly be possible, and I planned to offer this service for the new buyer if required, but I left the projector in Australia so this is no longer something I can offer. If the new buyer wants to do this conversion, I have uploaded the manual for the MAI board below so that you can see the transformer and exactly what's involved. It might be useful for you too Bradfo69. Otherwise a step-up transformer is pretty cheap and reliable, just heavy. Regards, weartronics http://www.weartronics.com/data/KVANT/kvant_mai.pdf

Just wish I had the cash - I've just bought a 2.5 spectrum and the beam specs are on par if not better than my Pluto 2's 4 w and the 445 blue is awesome. For that price someone is going to get a very very nice PJ.

Good luck with the sale.......anyone interested in my last kidney 5000usd should do it......

Can you explain what the 632nm is? It appears a few enough places for it not to be a typo, and yet you also say extra diodes were added for 642, so I'm a bit unsure about it all.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Nice system but 642 nm red right? I have not seen that power at 632 nm. Best, Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thank you very much! I used a step up transformer for some time but, I've found the output to recently get jittery and rather than get another transformer, thought I'd go the route of switching it to 110v. Several people have said I can just change the tranny on the board itself although, if Kvant makes a 110v, I'd almost like to explore the cost of a drop in replacement before applying a soldering iron and trying to hack at it myself.

Now we know where Able entertainment gets their design of the rgb-top series from!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Can you explain what the 632nm is? It appears a few enough places for it not to be a typo, and yet you also say extra diodes were added for 642, so I'm a bit unsure about it all.
    Err yes, well spotted. It should read 642nm in every instance - 632nm is a typo. Regards, weartronics

Hi Folks, 4500 USD now. Regards, weartronics