Thread: Bluetooth question

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Bluetooth question

Ok smart people... can you pair a standalone bluetooth transmitter to a standalone bluetooth receiver? Basically what I am looking to do is take the 1/8th" TRS stereo line out signal from a Tascam Portacapture X8 Digital Recorder and send it wirelessly to my Canon EOS R camera's external mic input (also 1/8th" TRS) while recording video.

Basically I have been shooting a lot of video of bands recently in bars, wineries, breweries and such. I tend to move around a lot and if I use the cameras built in mic or, a shotgun mic on top of the camera, the audio obviously changes considerably if I'm on one side or the other or, if I've gotten behind the PA speakers to get side views of the drummer, etc. Sometimes you're now picking up more from the stage monitors than the PA and sometimes if you get too close to PA on one side or the other you'll get clipping.

I'd like to just put a centrally located mic (or in this case the Tascam since it records as well as provides a line out that can be connected to a camera) on a tripod so the audio is consistent but stream it to the camera so it can be recorded with the video - rather than have to try and match the two up in post production software and try and sync the audio up to the exact moment a singers lips move or a guitar is strummed or drum hit. And I want to do it wirelessly so I'm not running around with a 50' long 1/8th" cable between the two. That just screams problems if people are dancing or whatever. I thought about wireless guitar transmitters but they tend to be 1/4" mono. They sell others that are XLR connectors but, the camera doesn't have XLR inputs. So, I'm thinking a couple matched rechargeable bluetooth transmitter/receivers. One set to transmit, the other to receive. The only issue is everything I read references using one with a device that already has bluetooth built in like a speaker or phone or something.
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

yes.. absolutely you can. however, i'd suggest going rf over bluetooth. it's less laggy, has longer range, and is how it's done in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Ok smart people... can you pair a standalone bluetooth transmitter to a standalone bluetooth receiver? Basically what I am looking to do is take the 1/8th" TRS stereo line out signal from a Tascam Portacapture X8 Digital Recorder and send it wirelessly to my Canon EOS R camera's external mic input (also 1/8th" TRS) while recording video.

Basically I have been shooting a lot of video of bands recently in bars, wineries, breweries and such. I tend to move around a lot and if I use the cameras built in mic or, a shotgun mic on top of the camera, the audio obviously changes considerably if I'm on one side or the other or, if I've gotten behind the PA speakers to get side views of the drummer, etc. Sometimes you're now picking up more from the stage monitors than the PA and sometimes if you get too close to PA on one side or the other you'll get clipping.

I'd like to just put a centrally located mic (or in this case the Tascam since it records as well as provides a line out that can be connected to a camera) on a tripod so the audio is consistent but stream it to the camera so it can be recorded with the video - rather than have to try and match the two up in post production software and try and sync the audio up to the exact moment a singers lips move or a guitar is strummed or drum hit. And I want to do it wirelessly so I'm not running around with a 50' long 1/8th" cable between the two. That just screams problems if people are dancing or whatever. I thought about wireless guitar transmitters but they tend to be 1/4" mono. They sell others that are XLR connectors but, the camera doesn't have XLR inputs. So, I'm thinking a couple matched rechargeable bluetooth transmitter/receivers. One set to transmit, the other to receive. The only issue is everything I read references using one with a device that already has bluetooth built in like a speaker or phone or something.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I read bluetooth was laggy. I know it's also a bit limited in range but, I wasn't too worried about range since usually I'm in pretty close quarters anyway. I'll search for RF. Hopefully I can find something where both transmitter & receiver are battery powered/rechargeable. (And not stupid money!)
    PM Sent...

Deed is done. Changed everything I was thinking and went with a Zoom H6 recorder and Sennheiser SXW-D wireless setup. And now we wait impatiently for delivery next week.
    PM Sent...