Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise and fuckwhits

Default Noise and fuckwhits

This is a classic story, and not uncommon in Australia.

Here in Perth, we have in the past 30 years lost our best beer barn rock venues thanks to stupid developers building retirement villages right next door. Our beloved Ravenswood drag strip, that used to be located a good hour from the city was closed due to a development right next door, in the middle of nowhere!

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/422043/fu...ains-noise.htm

Dave, you can relate this this one right?

If you move in to an area with live entertainment, then you know what your getting yourself into! Stop complaining!
    This space for rent.

I totally agree. The balance has swung far to far in favour of the resident here in the UK too.

I deal with a large and very well known drag strip here in the UK who now are having extensive issues with their neighbours due to off site noise, despite being extremely careful and making many concessions in the neighbours favour. Its not long term residents who complain ( the drag strip has been in continuous business for 50 years), its the people who move into the area, not doing their homework, and expecting to find a silent rural backwater.

Trouble is, the law is completely on the side of the complainants, and takes no account of the length of time the business has been established, the employment created (considerable) and off course the revenue / tax revenue / enjoyment of its customers.

trouble is, there is only so much you can do to quieten a 8000 horsepower top fuel dragster....

Same stupid thing happened for Luna Park in Sydney some years ago, and then a second time some years later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_Park_Sydney

The park was constructed at the foot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge during 1935
    Reopening in 1995, Luna Park closed again after thirteen months because of the Big Dipper rollercoaster: noise pollution complaints from residents on the clifftop above the park caused the ride's operating hours to be heavily restricted, and the resultant drop in attendance made the park unprofitable.
    What complete f#%king moron buys an apartment next to a heritage listed amusement park and doesn't expect there to be noise???
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Yep, totally annoying situation. One of the UKs oldest race tracks, Mallory Park, went into administration this year due to having their days restricted so much that they couldn't make it viable.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:23.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Here it is General Aviation airports that die. Some Residents have been trying to axe two MORE local fields for years. Problem is, small and medium size businesses use small planes.

Sad, but if you move in next to a hard to miss 8,000 foot strip of asphalt, with a 750 watt beacon flashing green and white for the last 60 years, you get to try to kill the field. Simply by claiming you were unaware when you moved in. People argue their 250,000$ home is more important then a airport that brings millions into the local economy every year.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

People argue their 250,000$ home is more important then a airport that brings millions into the local economy every year.
    But, of course it is...to them. And, that's what it's all about; the ME. Everything else is unimportant or too complicated to learn about. That is why we used to depend on traditions or etiquette to carry us through until we moved on or gained the wisdom to to understand the situation better.

I see the points made here but I also the understand the view from the resident. Regardless of the location, if someone buys some residential property, they should be able to live on it and not have to put up with noise above the level of the noise ordinance. Businesses have to realize that unless they own all of the land around their location that someone is eventually going to establish themselves there and that they'll have to be respectful of those people. I can't just move out to the middle of nowhere and buy a 1 acre plot and start broadcasting noise and expect that I will be able to do so forever. Eventually someone will buy the lot next door and tell me to shut the hell up and it will be their right to do so. It isn't just a matter of who go there first. In some cases, like moving next to an airport, it is stupid of the homeowner, though. What kind of moron would do that?

John, I mostly dissagree with you. We are talking about pre existing venues in a city. Not new venues.
    This space for rent.

Perhaps the aborigines can give guidance on how to cope with the invading people.