Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From pangolin beyond to ilda file

Default From pangolin beyond to ilda file

Hi,

I've been in dialog with a company producing laser shows to see if I could get permission to use a show as a sample included with my program vrilda. They agreed to give me a show, but unfortunately it seems they are using pangolin beyond for everything. And as my program only takes ilda files, and beyond can not directly export ilda files for some mysterious reason, I'm in a pickle. I was wondering if there is any way at all to get a show from beyond over to standard ilda, or any other open format, so that I can use it, or am I out of luck? I have a license to ILD SOS, which claims to be able to open and convert pangolin LDS files, but I'm not sure how that would work as from what I read LDS is an obfuscated/secure format, and also the manual talks about opening individual frames in a folder instead of a whole show at once, which sounds problematic. As I don't own beyond myself I don't know how it's exporting works or what files it can export to.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

sorry. pangolin beyond doesn't export to ilda (i've brought this up a number of times with pangolin). you may be able to export it in LDS (laser show design 2000) format and export from ilda from there (if you have ld2k, or know someone who does).

another option might be to record your show into a wave file by using dz's ilda->adat convertor and using laserboy/lcadat/lsx to convert the wave files back into ilda frames. this is a huge kludge and may result in a quality hit.

ildsos cannot handle lds files. no third party application can. pangolin has not released the necessary information on how the file format works.

this is quite frustrating to me. it's like photoshop not being able to save jpgs...

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Hi,

I've been in dialog with a company producing laser shows to see if I could get permission to use a show as a sample included with my program vrilda. They agreed to give me a show, but unfortunately it seems they are using pangolin beyond for everything. And as my program only takes ilda files, and beyond can not directly export ilda files for some mysterious reason, I'm in a pickle. I was wondering if there is any way at all to get a show from beyond over to standard ilda, or any other open format, so that I can use it, or am I out of luck? I have a license to ILD SOS, which claims to be able to open and convert pangolin LDS files, but I'm not sure how that would work as from what I read LDS is an obfuscated/secure format, and also the manual talks about opening individual frames in a folder instead of a whole show at once, which sounds problematic. As I don't own beyond myself I don't know how it's exporting works or what files it can export to.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is quite annoying indeed. I don't know if they think it will make them more money or something to block out all third party software and hardware, but I could personally not imagine spending money on a suite missing such an essential feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is quite annoying indeed. I don't know if they think it will make them more money or something to block out all third party software and hardware, but I could personally not imagine spending money on a suite missing such an essential feature.
    it has always been my assumption that it's an attempt to lock laserists into a pangolin ecosystem.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I wanted ILDA export to play a bfrm file in MadMapper. The only solution I found is to export as animated GIF, choose resolution 1024x1024 (maximum), speed at 25% (so I increase speed by 4x in MadMapper, since GIF is 10FPS I achieve 40FPS)
    I can then use the gif for MadMapper "Find Pathes" vectorization in MadLaser. Beams are detected properly. I haven't testing with complex shapes but it should be ok. Resolution 1024x1024 is a bit low but it's ok for this project.
    I had an ILDA to AVB box from LaserAnimation, I could have recorded an audio file.
    In MadMapper you can record ILDA from laser output, it's easy... It's annoying that there's no way to export a client bfrm to ILDA. I understand they protect their own show files, but in our case, it's a client who used pangolin to create it, so there would be no right violation.
    Last edited by mabeghin; 05-04-2022 at 04:46.

LaserBoy can open multichannel wave files as vector art and save them as ILDA.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    My take, exactly.
    If I were planning get back into public shows, for a living, I might pay ~$7.5k per FB4 Kvant projector, with all the bells & whistles + Beyond. But, as a retired home enthusiast, I don't need interlocks, positive scanning detection, nor $1k galvos. My $800 3W RGB OPT is just fine.
    If their products weren't proprietary, I would use Beyond or LDS. But, once you purchase their FBx DAC, you're locked in.
    Seems to me that they're not interested in dealing with supporting hobbyists and enthusiasts, but are "Strictly commercial", in Zappa's words.
    So, I block them out, instead.

"Beware of the dark side, Luke."
    😎
    What would you suggest for "supporting hobbyists and enthusiasts"?

Open source
    Multiplatform
    Multiple open file formats
    ILDA, DXF, TXT, WAV
    Optimized display signals
    Open spec DAC
    Free

Any ideas?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

a gui and etherdream support

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    What would you suggest for "supporting hobbyists and enthusiasts"?

Open source
    Multiplatform
    Multiple open file formats
    ILDA, DXF, TXT, WAV
    Optimized display signals
    Open spec DAC
    Free

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Awesome! Let us know when we can try it!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Speaking of etherdream, if anyone is interested in testing SpiroDAC on this device please send me a PM.
    From what I've read at the etherdream site, it can work with any app that supports EZAudDac.