Thread: MacBook Pro Bootcamp retina display resolution

Unhappy MacBook Pro Bootcamp retina display resolution

I recently replaced my aging thinkpad with a MBPr with the hopes that I could dual boot W7 for Pangolin and OSX for daily use.

The native resolution on the MBPr is huge, and W7 is completely useless.

Can anyone offer advice to make W7 usable AND decently clear? VMware fusion works fine (As long as the mac doesn't put itself to sleep), but I'd like to have a bootcamp for performance reliability.

Also, has anyone else used screen scaling (WXP or W7 style) with Pangolin products? WXP style worked, but the preview window was really choppy with laser output enabled. W7 style did nothing.. W7 style must only scale if the app announces it's ability to do so.

Does W8 offer any better screen scaling features over W7?

Any advice is helpful.

I used VWware years ago, but switched to Parallels. Never looked back.

Can run in coherence mode which essentially means you boot OSX and can run windows programs from within. It acts as if whatever windows program you are running is an osx one. The W7 window can be resized to full screen or half screen etc and it adjusts its resolution to suit the size.

Try the demo to see if it helps your issue. (Yosemite compatible, is VMW?)

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Can run in coherence mode which essentially means you boot OSX and can run windows programs from within. It acts as if whatever windows program you are running is an osx one. The W7 window can be resized to full screen or half screen etc and it adjusts its resolution to suit the size.
    Can Parallels run LD Beyond in Coherence mode? Vmware has a very similar feature called Unity, but the LD Beyond interface does not work correctly.

Really, I want to use boot camp.. Maybe I'll give parallels a try.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

The VMware update is compatible with osx Yosemite. Works like a champ on my rMBP, but I've only used it with LSX.

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    I used VWware years ago, but switched to Parallels. Never looked back.

Try the demo to see if it helps your issue. (Yosemite compatible, is VMW?)
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Another thought: is there a virtual memory setting?

Parallels the default is 1Gb RAM which needs to be altered to give performance to the VM. It does seem odd that VMW wouldnt work...
    As for bootcamp, Parallels is just access to the Bootcamp drive from within OSX

Quote Originally Posted by danolsn View Post
    The native resolution on the MBPr is huge, and W7 is completely useless.

Can anyone offer advice to make W7 usable AND decently clear?
    Why don't you just adjust W7 to use its large fonts and UI mode?