Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two new fogscreen videos

Default Two new fogscreen videos

Hello everyone. It's getting to be that time of year again. Halloween is right around the corner. I pulled out my fog screen tonight to dust it off. I really wish I had more time to play with it in regards to lasers but that is for another day. While getting everything tuned in and running, I posted a couple of quick videos on youtube.

A quick one to show the video quality. If you can guess the movie, you will win: NOTHING!

This is using a much better video for Halloween than what I used last year. I am trying to go for "borderless" to make it look like the images are floating and not just a projector on a screen.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-27-2014 at 14:01.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Awesome!!!!!!

Very jealous.

Can you post the link to the DIY for this fog screen? There were a few versions floating around. This is really cool and I am very interested in making one.

I forgot how well that project turned out. The effect is something more than a scrim. I can't remember, was the height limited to an optimal range?

I read about a guy in russia that had made a electron screen or something, it generated ions? and the screen was invisible except when you projected onto it, then your image floated in the air. I wrote to him and asked for more info, but he said he'd only give me building plans if I was a student, which I'm not any more. Then I kinda forgot about it - I will try and find the links to his youtube videos, it looked really cool.

I think fog screens are made with a honeycomb of tubes (straws work) to create a laminar flow. You can use those piezo transducers that sit in water and generate mist as your fog source.

Obviously this isn't a solution for much, but I thought it'd be cool to build this into a small projector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWZOu7ba_A

Here's a DIY fogscreen link btw: http://www.mikesenese.com/DOIT/2011/...vapor-display/

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Awesome!!!!!!

Very jealous.
    Thanks! I would love to say that it was fun to build but it really wasn't!

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I forgot how well that project turned out. The effect is something more than a scrim. I can't remember, was the height limited to an optimal range?
    Thanks, Eric! There was a height limit problem when I first fired it up. I think that was mainly due to the fact that, because I had the fog blowing upward, the water vapor was cooling the air and making it heavier and it started introducing resistance and breaking down the laminar flow. With the screen suspended from a truss and blowing the air down, I can get a pretty decent flow of about 5' before the breakdown starts becoming noticeable and at about 7', it becomes very apparent. At anything beyond 8' looks like hash. The only reason the screen is so low in the vid is because the truss was almost touching the ceiling, I had to duck to go under it. I don't have a super-hero style secret lab like your workshop (very envious of your workshop, BTW)!

Quote Originally Posted by AudioVisualizers View Post
    I think fog screens are made with a honeycomb of tubes (straws work) to create a laminar flow. You can use those piezo transducers that sit in water and generate mist as your fog source.
    That is precisely what mine employs! I did about two years of mental designing in my head before I started building this. Here is my build thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...screen+project
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-27-2014 at 15:39.

Nice work.

I can picture that with a rather placid projection and combined with a trigger as people get close to set off this :
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=46b_1413217535

That would be something!

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Nice work.

I can picture that with a rather placid projection and combined with a trigger as people get close to set off this :
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=46b_1413217535

That would be something!
    Holy shit! That is awesome. I like where your head is at! I may try to incorporate this sometime in the future. I may need to tone it down just a tad... I do this for trick or treaters (kids mainly). I don't want to clean up pee puddles in the middle of my walkway! If I were doing a huanted maze for teens~adults, this would be totally badass.

Awesome videos absolom, thanks for sharing!