Thread: Will pay for basic text .ild files

Default Will pay for basic text .ild files

I'm a noobie that is running out of time and need a couple of .ild files created.

I have a personal Christmas light display and just bought my first laser (a cheap one from Spencer’s, but it has an SD card inside I can load .ild files to)
    I was hoping to build the .ild files myself, and have learned much from so many on this site by just reading the posts.

I downloaded Inkscape, created a basic file, and tried to convert with OLA to a .ild, however OLA crashes every time I try to convert.
    I've tried two different versions recommended here on two different systems (W8, and XP) with the same result.

I want to figure out the bugs, as this would be something so cool to learn and develop moving animations, however for now I have so much other things to work on to prep for this year’s Christmas light display and already falling behind, I just don’t have the time to dedicate to learning and trouble shooting a new thing from scratch.

While I want to do many things with the very basic laser I just bought....for the moment, I really only need a couple of custom text frames:

Frame 1:

"Counts
    Family
    Lights"

Frame 2:

"Cadence
    and
    Averie"

Frame 3:

"Facebook.com/
    CountsFamilyLights"

Frame 4:

"Twitter.com/
    CountsLights"

Can someone that is already set up to make.ild files give me a hand?

This is a basic laser so the detail cant get too crazy, but some embellishment would be very much appreciated!

It came with these files and runs them real well.SNOW.ildErde360.ildPeaceDo.ildSWIRL.ild

I'm willing to pay if needed. I'm just not sure what else to do! Hopefully this is ok to ask here..but please let me know if not.

Thanks so much for reading this. I look forward to adding my first laser this year and to learning more with lasers over the next year!

I would do it, but I don't really have the time. Also, I'd think twice about paying to have to frames made for this projector, you're better off putting your money towards a better projector and better software.

But here's how you can do it:
    There's a program called bmp2ild (free, search google) that can do this for you. I had the same Spencer's projector when I started out and got some pretty good mileage out of it using bmp2ild.

For text, I just used Photoshop (or MSPaint, or whatever) to create some text on a black background. Use a large font size, and keep the text short. Run it through bmp2ild to get an ilda file.

It won't work in the projector yet, you have to convert it to ILDA format 0 first. For this, you can use LaserBoy (also free).

You have to load the file into LaserBoy, and move the frame along the z-axis (i.e. make it 3D), and save it (make sure you have frame optimization or minimization off in the settings). I forget all the key combos, but I'm pretty sure it's documented here somewhere, try doing a search here for Spencer's Projector.

The cool thing with LaserBoy is you can add all kinds of effects and coloring to the text. Scaling and positioning are easy too.

Then you can load it onto the card and run it on the projector.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OK, I'm nearly ancient as laser guys go, and I have a obsolete scrolling text creator program no one else uses. Some times the output works with low quality galvos, some times it doesn't. SD card players are strange beasts with minimum microprocessor implementations of how the ILDA file format works.

Attached are two type zero ILDA files in white with one of your phrases. When you edit the SD card player script text file, you will have to play with the speed, size and duration constants.

Turn down the image size control to small image so the galvos are not pushing their response limits.

No two SD card players are alike, it seems, so this always is trial and error.

Also attached is a blue box with a small white box inside to see if you can play my files at all. For some reason blue works on most SD card players.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-02-2014 at 14:09.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

LaserBoy can do text art in ILDA frames.

You get a collection of fonts to choose from.

There are even some single stroke fonts that scan very well with minimal points.

LB can also import DXF files and do all sorts of neat animations.

I can show you how to do it yourself.

If you have one of those SD card readers, LB is a nice program to have and know how to use.

There has been a lot of discussion about that very subject.

James.
    Last edited by james; 11-02-2014 at 14:06.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

See attached again.
    If it saves you hours with the freeware learning curve, that's good.
    Find a copy of the free ZILDA viewer so you can see what you have.
    BTW, you can rename the ILDA files with standard prompt, in case the SD card player only supports 8 character file names with an .ild extension.
    Like EIGHT.ILD for example.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Oh My Gosh! I am so impressed with the responses!! Thank you guys soooo much!!! It looks like i have a couple good options now to explore. It's simply amazing to to me to get help like this. I'll dig into everything posted and keep you updated. Thanks again!!!!!!!!