Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for diffraction gratings capable of withstanding high power.

Default Looking for diffraction gratings capable of withstanding high power.

Does anyone know of a good source for glass diffraction gratings that can handle high powers; exact power density unknown, but will be 10's of watts.
    Glass grating being 3-6" in diameter would be perfect.
    The cheap polymer film ones are not suitable

All "styles" of grating welcomed, line burst etc.

Thanks,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Dan,

I know I used to get some from Edmund Scientific, I think they were meant to be used by schools for physics lessons. This was about 25 years ago and it may be that at that time these were the only ones available. You could also try taking one of the lower power density ones and actually placing it between 2 sheets of of clear silica, which would act as a heat shield, but you may still have an issue with the actual power density. The old glass ones were fine for old large frame Argon lasers and so may still be a little underrated.

Not sure if it's much help

Cheers

Steve

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Peter Mayer used to make a high power, water cooled, replica grating. You might ask if he still has any. Intent was to be usable with KTP532.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

@Steve^2,
    Thanks both for the pointers, I'll do a bit of digging into both routes.
    Cheers,
    Dan

Can they be reflection gratings? Holographers make gratings all the time. I make gratings every day at work. They're electrically switchable (apply a voltage and the grating structure clears away), and only work with p-polarization because they incorporate liquid crystals. I make gratings at home too but in silver-halide material. For the power density you need, I'd look into surface-relief gratings cast into acrylic or glass. Ed Wesly (another holographer and member here) also makes holographic gratings in his home studio.

Thanks for that tip; a reflective grating will be preferred to be honest.
    I'll look up those type of grating to find some more info them.

For reflection, I'd look at surface-relief gratings made into nickel shims by electroforming, as is done all the time for embossed holography. That opens up a whole world of possibilities for large custom gratings.

You didn't specify what type of grating you want, but there are a plethora of normal ruled gratings for spectrometers, etc, available through the various optics suppliers like http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage...ectgroup_id=26
    you can even get glass transmissions gratings up to 2" square from thorlabs http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage...LXYaAnAE8P8HAQ They are a little pricey since they are designed for scientific applications (but they are dang good gratings in any case!)

They also turn up on ebay once in a while, like this bad boy http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPTICAL-GRAT...item3a9926b2d2 just be careful, a lot of them have curvature to them (since they are almost all pulled out of old monochromators)

If you are looking for a 2d or other fancy grating then you are somewhat out of luck in terms of using a grating designed for scientific applications sadly.

Dan,
    Although these are probably being used well out of spec, I have four, 2" x 3" transmission gratings. Two are linear and two are X/Y. I obtained them from O-like a couple of years ago. They have been set in front of a LS at 20W green and 10W, 575 for hours without ill effects. I show one at the end of my LN2 video when I break up the 608nm beams. They may still be selling these and they were very cheap.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Dan, Access Have you to CNC?
    (before you say not enough resolution, thimk, there is a way)

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...