Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Animations, first few frames, and ILD SOS

I missed where you are generating the DXF files in but yes you can. DXF files have a 256 color pallete.
    However grabbing nearest color value of textures or grabbing textures at all is a problem for most software that export other then diffuse color.

What you can do is do 2 renders.. one sequence of DXF and one sequence with a normal raster based renderer saving to .bmp format I recall which has the color data you want.
    If you place them both in the same folder and then open the first of DXF files in the sequence then ILDSOS will see the bmp sequence and in one of the last options there is something about color.

(Don't know which since I haven't been able to run my ildsos in ages after the license stopped working)

It will grab the color values from the image and applies them to the converted DXF files.

You can make all frames of each DXF set a single color and then superimpose them onto each other using LaserBoy.

First save your DXF frame sets as ild using LaserBoy.

Open the first frame set as you would normally, replacing everything already loaded. Then open the second frame set choosing option 5 superimpose frame(s) onto frame set.

The resulting frame set will have the number of frames of the greater of the two (or equal).

James.
    Last edited by james; 12-06-2014 at 11:22.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Thank you! That works great but is it possible to place one of those ildas higher up on the y-axis than the other? L menu, capital O then y moves the frame up and down along the y-axis, but how do I apply this to all frames? (I should really have this one figured out by now!)

if you look in menu v you can see how to move the camera.

The w | W key moves it in Y. As long as all of the frames still fit inside the square, you can apply the offset to all frames with a capital T.

Only apply one of the three options at a time. IOW don't expect to pan, rotate and zoom all in the same move.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I'm almost there! I have the animation made on laserboy exactly as I want it, but as I am using sd card laser projectors I need the ilda to be saved as a version0 for it to work. Up until now I've been using the approach described in this topic: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...o-v0-converter (i.e. moving a frame a couple of points along the z axis so laserboy will automatically save it as a 3D version 0 file). This doesn't seem to work anymore and the file, which is made up of two ildas superimposed on each other, keeps saving as a version 1 file.
    At the moment I'm bringing the version 1 laserboy-produced ilda into ildaviewer and then exporting from there as a version 0, but I am worried this might lose the optimizations I have made in laserboy. Is this so? Or will an ildaviewer outputted file still have the laserboy optimizations in it?

Thanks for your time and patience

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Don't worry about that, I'm nowhere near capable enough to figure out optimisation and stuff so all files are loaded and exported as is, with all points intact. Just make sure to use the version from the last post in that thread. I still need to release the official update but am still figuring out how to implement the frame editor and I want to get that out of the way first. But I should, because it can make your life a lot easier...
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 12-09-2014 at 04:59.

If you are interested, I can describe the scenario of optimization as it is done in LaserBoy.

It requires quite a few functional capabilities all put together into a methodology.

There is actually, a lot to it.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

You can do it in the v menu.

First you flip the camera to look at the side of the cube of 3D space with the 6 key.
    Then you apply this view to the art with a capital letter O (not zero).

Then you pan the camera so that the art moves away from the Z origin a little bit with the q key.
    Then you apply this view to the art with a capital T.

Finally you view the art from what used to be the front with a tap of the ^ (shift 6) and apply this view to the art with a capital O.

I just tried it and I forgot to apply the first rotation to the side view to the art and it doesn't work. The camera moves, but you are looking at a view that is still rotated to something other than zero degrees on the axis.

So remember to do that!

That goes back to what I said earlier about not being able to apply pan, rotation and zoom at the same time.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    If you are interested, I can describe the scenario of optimization as it is done in LaserBoy.

It requires quite a few functional capabilities all put together into a methodology.

There is actually, a lot to it.

James.
    From what I gather, there is an option to remove all "in-between" collinear points and place them back using linear interpolation and a predefined distance, for both blanked and unblanked points. That sounds like something I'm capable of. Next there is the removal of angle dwell points, which I guess are points at the same location to allow scanners to come to a pause for a sharply defined corner? And adding them again. Is there a relation between angle size and amount of points added?
    Interesting how you can find the optimised path to go between segments.
    And then there is the mysterious "q"...
    I can't even begin to imagine what I'm missing.

I'd love to talk about this in PM, to prevent a derailing of the thread.

We can spin a new thread.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials