Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home RGB show advice

Laser Warning Home RGB show advice

New to the forum, so hi!

I'm after laser for my living room for shows to dance music. No audience scanning, no images, just beams all overhead. $500-1000 budget but if I can do it with cheaper than that's ok too! I kind of know what I'm after, I just don't know the specs I need

I was inspired by a large Dutch dance event which had a room with this show in it:

I know thats a crazy expensive show, but I'm hoping I can recreate some of the effects in it in a much smaller space My main question is how fast scanners have to be do those kinds of effects. 20k? 30k? faster?

Can an SD card with ild files do those kind of effects (providing I don't care about timing them to music?) I will look at using a hardware ILDA interface if I need to.

The Laserking units stand out to me at the moment. Something perhaps ranging from the LK-PD3 to the LK-RGB5. I'm not so worried about color range so TTL should be fine from what I understand.

My current experience: I used to own a terrible Chinese projector about 10 years ago (40mw green) with bad scanners and no blanking, but it was a lot of fun controlling it over DMX. I currently have a 300mW green pointer from LaserBTB. Engineer by trade and am familiar with theatre lighting and sound tech.

All advice appreciated, thanks

Welcome to the the forum. Prom your post, it seems that you have some experience with electronics and lights.
    Please fill out your location in your profile. There might be some members just around the corner, willing to help first hand. :-)

There are some assumtions that have to be put into the answer. At least I put in some.

Assumtions:
    Dependig on the size of your room. If we expect it to be 6X10meters = 60M2
    You want to have RGB lasers (more than one)
    Overhead mounted with safe distance to walking and jumping people. (How high is it inside in your room?)

For the scanners 20K will do nice for beams only.
    Use software and a DAC for best control, and limit the scanningarea to wide horisontal and narrow vertical.
    I like Spaghetti SW and use a RIYA Lite DAC.
    On one projector, swich X/Y. This way you can get a really good effect using only one DAC
    If you are capable, build your own projectors, and the DTR RGB bundle will be more than powerfull enough for you.
    The RGB bricks from China might be an alternative, if you dont care if they are TTL. The 400mW are actually quite nice for beams.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-400mW-La...item3a7fb52e65

Get a Small Hazer. Without one, you will not be able to enjoy the beams at all.

Best of luck....and be prepaired for entering a bottomless moneypit.
    Most important of all - Play safe.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Takk for the info Datsurb

I hadn't considered going more than one, but it seems that I could get some less powerful projectors and have some more interesting effects with two or three.

The room is quite long, about 8m x 15m. I have about 1 - 1.5m of vertical space to work with after the highest point I can reach.

I'm ok with it being a money pit, totally worth it!

Hi, a package of small power offer:
    800mW RGB(635nm Red 300mW(Spacelas) + 532nm Green 200mW(CNI) + 447nm Blue 300mW(CNI), PT-20K(Spacelas), Price USD980 excluding shipping.

ADD USD400 for one FB3-Quickshow and 10meters ILDA cable.
    Pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	977.3 KB 
ID:	45118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickshow software.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	45119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILDA cable2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	45120

Video in Auto running:

Feel free to contact me for any questions.

Best Wishes
    Song
    L.A.S.E.R.
    Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Laser system: Pure Diode 3W & 6W RGB Laser.

www.facebook.com/saifer.sy
    www.laser-viva.com

Provided you can live with weak Hot Beam effects in exchange for wonderful fans etc, you're probably more suited to emulaser in a home environment, that way it's 100% safe and no audience scanning worries. You can scan them all you like, safely! However, it's way above your budget both for the control system and a suitable projector.

If you go the laser route, then personally I'd recommend 30K scanners just to give you a bit of headroom - you can always run 30K scanners at 20K but if you buy 20k scanners and you need 30K or they don't actually make a true 20K, then you're not going to be able to do what you were wanting to do.

To get decent effects, you're going to want ILDA control. Built in patterns soon get tame, SD cards have limitations.

Only an ILDA interface plus DAC plus software, will give you truly live play and unlimited pre-programmed show capabilities.

I have now a little more time to answer your questions.
    first off - i totally agree with White-lite that 30K scanners are way better than 20K, but then again - the cost of the project. All projectors can be upgraded with new scanners later, but my experience is that I build a new one, rather then upgrading the old one. (The next build will be way better - every time. Partly explains the moneypit phrase)

If you feel confident to build your own projector, witch i highly recommend, you will be able to have a better bang for the buck. Half the fun is creating and building yourself. This forum is a goldmine of information and how to`s in building projectors. bare in mind that a lot of the more active users of the forum have been lasing for years and years, and have mindset of perfection. Perfection in this hobby will consume more money and time than you could ever imagine.

Personally I have had a good time walking into most of the "traps" and i have a pile of "cheap" Chinese lasergear. All this gear have helped me understand how things work, what works and does not. That for me is part of the hobby. I really would not tear apart my PlutoII, just to see how things work, but without the basic skills i have learned along the road, i really would not be able to appreciate the quality and show the proper respect for the PlutoII.

Now to the gear you need.
    First off you need a case or box that will hold all the gadgets. Do not attempt to build as small as possible at least not as your first project. For me a baseplate of aluminum about 6mm thick 20X30cm would be a good start. If your build is not to powerfull and you fit in some proper fans in the casing, you would not need any more cooling. The hight of the box needs to be as high as the highest component in the build plus a couple of cm headroom. A good drill 3-4-5mm taps and steady hand is also required.

The 400mW module i described in my first post will come more or less aligned for all colours, so not much work there. It also saves the cost of dichros and holders. It also have a "Analogo" driver, that are capable of producing a wider range of colours than TTL modules that are either on - off. (No fading)

When buying galvos, there are a number of vendors delivering a full kit with all the cables - DB25 connectors and showcard. What you need is to drill the holes and fasten the parts.

Song recommended the QuickShow DAC and software, and for a really fair price. Not shure he will be able to sell just that for the price offered, but it is worth asking.

With the above items - you have all the components you need to get started making your own shows.

Feel free to ask if there are things or statements that are unclear.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Thanks for the detailed replies, you're all very helpful. I've got a lot to read up on!

Careful. I came here looking to spend MAYBE $700. Lets just say things have changed
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    Careful. I came here looking to spend MAYBE $700. Lets just say things have changed
    Yep, I quickly increased my budget to $1500 Shipping next week.. I'll report back with my findings when I receive my new toy!

Ended up getting a Lightspace Leo Series 700mW and Quickshow with a hazer. Here's my test from last night. Thanks everyone for their help!!!