Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holograms are here! No scrims or screens needed >>

Default Holograms are here! No scrims or screens needed >>

Floating mid-air images from 1 KW IR pulsed laser --
    (Scroll down to bottom for vid) ..

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=31377103
    Last edited by steve-o; 11-06-2014 at 11:54.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

talk about your necroposting internet recycling copying BS. Stevie, Pal you got caught by their mess.
    The Japanese had that out quite a few years ago. That's been out about 3 years, and it's "Powered By Pangolin", well sorta.

But I think again....

So I dig a bit, and the reason it has come up again is:

A bit of further digging reveals the Burton company is the bunch that licensed the technology.

The problem is the eye hazard, that is a compressed pulse IR laser. Your not going to make a TV with that. Might have some point of sale and amusement part uses though..

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2014 at 14:10.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

oOps .. guess I forgot to look at the date .. Oh well .. still looked kinda cool
    Yeah, amusement parks or hanging over the heads of an audience 20 feet up in the air would be pretty awesome . No eye damage up there ..

I believe it's technically possible, but I think that video looks fake.

The video is very real.
    Also mixedgas is right.. I said that as well as soon as someone linked me the video from above that this was done years ago already.

Here is the proof of that:
    http://www.pangolin.com/powered/powered4old.htm
    Scroll to: "Aerial 3D Display Project"
    *Video date is 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVS-npfVuY

I believe the parts are real but the laser display (probably shot in the dark) looks superimposed on the background, to me. Look at 1:00-1:10 in the video in post #1. See how the laser image moves exactly with the camera as it pans from left to right? Wouldn't it make loud snap crackle pop noises? No audio I guess. OK the YouTube video in post #5 says it sounds like an electrical storm. Whenever I have ionized the air with a pulsed ruby there was a loud "snap" like static electricity. And I had a beam diameter of about 1" and used a relatively short focal length lens, no more than 12-18 inches. How could they focus sufficient energy more than 10-20ft away? I would like to see it in real life. Why haven't we heard more about it since then? No progress in 3 years?

They focus the energy by using 2 lasers hitting one spot I assume or they can control the focus of the beam and the point of focus is where the ionization starts so that allows them to control the height *Y-axis*
    The X and Z axis would be controlled by a laser scanner. The only "faking" they do is increasing the cameras exposure.

They show just one laser beam and one pair of scanners in the diagram. I assumed the refresh is so slow because they couldn't change the focal plane distance as fast as the scanners can move the beam?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    They show just one laser beam and one pair of scanners in the diagram. I assumed the refresh is so slow because they couldn't change the focal plane distance as fast as the scanners can move the beam?
    you could have multiple focusing lenses controlling the z, and then use a third galvo to steer the beam into the lens that's in the proper position. by reading ahead and dynamically pre-setting focus on the lenses you would be able to drastically improve your point rate.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I was wondering about the lack of audio.. and thinking that ionizing air like that would be kind of snap-crackle-poppy ... probably would take away from the effect compared to something like that being completely quiet. Maybe that's why the idea didn't take off ..