Thread: The Kvant Laser Hexacopter. How can this be legal/safe?

Default The Kvant Laser Hexacopter. How can this be legal/safe?

I recently saw this popping up on facebook:

It has already been done by another laser company with a full color laser projector and now I am more and more worried about this kind of a product.
    Yes it is cool but there are so many safety hazards regarding something like this and not only that.. also illigal.

1. In the video the Hexacopter can be seen flying in a civilian area which is not allowed at all for RC flying.
    2. The video states this is a 2Watt 520nm system which is very dangerous incase the system tips either hitting where it isn't supposed to or beaming up in the air.
    Not just that.. even with the best GPS system the auto hold will have a drift.. a very special sensor setup is needed for the unit to be able to correct for it's significant drifting.
    3. If this thing is used above a crowd you are violating another law which was implemented incase something like this would crash down on someone.
    4. Having a camera on the unit violates the privacy law which is why quadrotor flying in civilian areas isn't allowed.
    5. In most countries commercial RC-flight isn't allowed and in some it requires a very special license.. all of them stating that these operations are again not allowed in any civilian/urban area (it has to be quite a huge distance away from it).

The unit clearly looks like they just went out to buy a Hexacopter and stuck a stripped down spectrum to the case.. literally fed it power just through a regulator and put an inverter with it so it could power the scanners. The fact that it's also relying on wireless communication for the laser controller on top of the wireless communication for the transmitter is a safety hazard as well.

Kvant is offering these units up for sale on request and I personally feel like this is very shady and dangerous.

I hate to be the kind of guy questioning this.. but I feel like leaving something like this ignored is not smart either.

clicking the link sez:

This video is not available in your country.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Likely because of the music they use.
    a proxy would help or you can download the video here to watch it:
    http://en.savefrom.net/#url=http://w....ssyoutube.com

looking at the location of the video, it's been filmed at Kvant HQ, i recognize that building (http://goo.gl/B7VRgh)

perhaps there are not such tight restrictions on flying RC models in Slovakia... yet

Still its worrying as they offer it for sale on price request.. there is no safety gear for a hard crash when you'd use this at an outdoor event.. drift WILL happen unless you have an very precise and expensive on ground multiple sensor setup. The fact the laser control is being streamed over the same protocol you control the unit with is also a big hazard where you can lose control over your rc-vehicle and this is hazardous.

I worked on a similar thing though but had to stall it because of my fulltime study.. While I think it's cool and I welcome the idea.
    I spend time on a multi sensor PID setup, a custom control with a shutdown feature.. it's still not perfect..

I think it's cool they are showcasing this but please... oh please.... Spend more time in making a system like this safe before offering it to end-users.

The fact the laser control is being streamed over the same protocol you control the unit with is also a big hazard where you can lose control over your rc-vehicle and this is hazardous.
    I expect its using a modern spread spectrum 2.4ghz system, in which case they have very good failsafe controls built in, and very fast.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm reminded of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Rick (Fearless) and I discussed doing this next year in Boston (along with Gort of course). After looking into the weight and power and safety issues I believe that a ground based source to quad based relay scanner makes more sense.