Thread: Thanks to all our Veterans!

Exclamation Thanks to all our Veterans!

From one (former) sailor to all my fellow men and women at arms - past and present - thank you for your service. Today we all salute each other (even the Marines - JUST KIDDING!).

And a heartfelt prayer for those shipmates of ours who are still on patrol; those who will never again see home port.

Adam

(USS Andrew Jackson, SSBN 619)
    Last edited by buffo; 11-11-2014 at 13:03.

Ditto

USS Bainbridge, CGN-25

Ditto, and thanks for posting Adam!!

I better jump in and speak up for the Army pukes, lest the squid do all the posting...

VERY memorable week for me with the 25th Anniversary of the fall of the "Berlin Wall" ~

Most of the general population outside of Germany probably doesn't realize that the entire East/West German border (several hundred miles) was the same mined, booby-trapped, guarded containment barrier as the "Berlin Wall" (just minus the concrete, but plenty of fences and barbed wire) and many East Germans had died trying to escape across the "death zone", including several in our sector. Several towns along the border - and not just Berlin - were basically cut in half over night when the borders were closed and the "Berlin Wall" went up.

8 Nov '89, I was with the 11 Armored Cavalry Regiment (Fulda Gap - Fulda, Germany), staff duty officer at the airfield when the alert came across the net that "something big" was going down in East Germany, and was patrolling the East/West German border the next morning (9 Nov) when OP Alpha actually opened up and began openly allowing East Germans to cross into West Germany for the first time. As it turned out, it was also the first time I got to see an armed Mi-24 Hind-D Soviet gunship up close and personal, which shadowed us for several miles from their side of the border.

Crazy...

US Army -
    11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
    3rd Armored Division
    1st Cavalry Division
    278th Armored Cavalry Regiment

Fly Army

Any Coast Guard, Air Force, or Marines out there to chime in?
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-12-2014 at 10:30.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

USS Shark SSN Nuclear Fast Attack Submarine. Navy from 1974 - 1980.
    Thanks to all my fellow Vets!

Air Force Tech Ops Division 1988-92

Thanks for posting Adam and everyone for our fellow Vets.
    Another flyboy here
    91st FMMS ND