Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIYA DAC and testing RGB output

Question RIYA DAC and testing RGB output

Good day all.

I recently built my laser projector. Since this is hobby I did it on the cheap but it seems to work pretty well with a few glitches.

( There may be other posts specific to other issues so I don't throw too much into one topic )

Here is what I am trying to resolve with help from the fine folks here.

The various demo shows included with GLSPro that came with the DAC work ok except for colors. Mostly they display in white light with a few "sprinkles" of colors between frames. The display on the computer indicate colors where I am getting only white via the laser projector.

I can unplug each color's TTL from the show card to confirm that the module is switching okay so the problem appears to be the signals sent by the show card to the laser module. All colors blank until the card's time turns them on several seconds after power up, as they should. So at least at this point the TTL signals are correct.

Is there a test library available or can some one give me a short method to test the player software to show card path to see if I can send a "show" that is first only RED then only BLUE then GREEN in order to see if the TTL signals are doing what they should?

It I can isolate the problem to the show card at least I know what I am dealing with.

I am a novice at this so be gentle. I plan to learn to write some shows but that assumes the colors work or I could be spinning my wheels.

Thanks again.

//
    Last edited by paulckruger; 01-31-2020 at 09:57.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

here's a TTL color test frame i made a while back. this should help.

http://www.monkeyhands.com/images/photos/ttl-colors.ild
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

For testing colors run please TestRIYA program, Direct window, and use R, G, B sliders
    Attached Files Attached Files

the output of the riya dac and gls is very good. i'm sure we'll get this sorted for you.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I'll put that in my library. Right now I want to work with native .rtl file since I am having a few issues importing .ild and don't want to introduce another possible error point in the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by paulckruger View Post
    I'll put that in my library. Right now I want to work with native .rtl file since I am having a few issues importing .ild and don't want to introduce another possible error point in the conversion.
    as ihor suggested below, use the testriya app to configure the dac. do this outside of gls, and then write the configuration to the dac. once the dac is setup, gls should work great.

UPDATE:

The test program connects. I can display and draw with it. However all manipulations of the color sliders continues to result in white laser output.

I guess the next step is to unplug the DAC and use meter to test the individual color outputs at that point. ( I may make a test plug to attach to the second 25 pin connector to test while it is running )

If the output looks like is should then the problem must be in the show card. Call China....
    All kinds of hobbies...I don't know why I get bored so easily!
    My Hobby Page and projects: http://paulckruger.com

yes... if your projector has chinese TTL drivers, it may want TTL low instead of high, or it may be phase of moon dependent or ....

Quote Originally Posted by paulckruger View Post
    UPDATE:

The test program connects. I can display and draw with it. However all manipulations of the color sliders continues to result in white laser output.

I guess the next step is to unplug the DAC and use meter to test the individual color outputs at that point. ( I may make a test plug to attach to the second 25 pin connector to test while it is running )

If the output looks like is should then the problem must be in the show card. Call China....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Solder one end of a 1K pulldown resistor to pin 25 (ILDA GROUND) of a Female DB25 connector and the other end to a piece of wire. Jumper pin 4 to pin 17 using a second piece of wire. Jumpering 4 to 17 completes the interlock circuit.. Plug the connector into the projector. Touch the floating wire from the resistor to pins 5, 6 and 7 of the DB25. This "pulls down" the so called TTL inputs and lets you determine if you have RGB inversion, which is common on Asian projectors. If the color winks out, you have inversion issues.

If this is the case, you need a pulldown transistor or open collector TTL inverter chip between the RIYA and your Projector to bring the projector into compliance with the standard. Odds are the RIYA is just fine.

Age old problem, going on five or more years now. Usually requires building a small circuit to solve. The cost of parts resembles the cost of a plate of really good tiger shrimp.

Radio Shack sells the 1K resistors for $1.69 a pack.

China LTD has never once solved this design compliance issue for anyone, once they own the projector. Everybody builds the pulldown board or sells the projector.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks...got ton's of resistors in my electronics collection.

I will probably build a little breakout with some push buttons for this kind of test...why do things the easy way when I can complicate them!
    All kinds of hobbies...I don't know why I get bored so easily!
    My Hobby Page and projects: http://paulckruger.com