Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kvant v SwissLas

I know what single mode lasers look like I ran gas lasers for years and even then the Coherent's would do multi mode more often than not! Admit am relatively new to semi lasers but surely you can't stack many single mode beams without it becoming multi mode by definition. Haven't seen beam specs for Kvant other than sales lit as they (and most others) don't show far field where the true picture develops. All I see is the same <1.5mR and an aperture of 3 - 4mm. So there's not a lot to go on. Yes would be nice to go OPSL but for me payback would not be in my lifetime!

The mulimode red diodes are officially 500mw from the datasheet that mitsubishi provides.
    Depends which part of the spec sheet you choose to read. We don't really use lasers in CW manner so its not really the correct spec to use.

Stop scaremongering.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Oclaro has a 638 rated at 700mW CW. Probably what they are using for red.

If you want to have the best beamquallity single mode red is the way to go and that is a bit more expencive when its a european build projector. Its worth the extra penny especially when doing graphics. The oclaro diodes are 700mw but with these diodes the beamspecs are even worse on average compared to single mode red. But at the end of the day its what you want to pay for it. If your on a budget i would buy an Able with single mode red and EMS8000 or an Eightonlight.

Hello everybody,

May I introduce myself. My name is Andreas and I own EVIL lasers. I've heard about these posts here, so I took the decision to register myself here, so I can comment everything regarding my products directly.
    Yes, our KORE use the 700mW Oclaro multimode diodes. The main reason for this decision is the price. We try to stay competitive while delivering best possible (!) quality.

There are many setups with single mode modules (especially with over 2W red) which are equal if not worse than a proper beam-corrected multimode setup. A singlemode setup CAN look good, but reality shows different results, most of them worse.
    All KORE diode modules are beam-corrected using cylindrical lenses. We state <1.2mrad (full angle). And we really mean the "less than".

There will be KORE lasers in near future featuring single mode red diodes. This of course will be recognizable when seeing the price. It's all a question of price and what is worth what.

Kind regards,
    Andreas

No one has answered my question yet. How does the beam profile of multiple stacked single mode reds differ from a single beam corrected multimode? Far field I'd like to add. The point I hinted at was, doesn't 3Watts of 100mW (ish) red single mode diodes combined through whatever constitute a multimode output? And in the far field how does this look? Pictures anyone?

The point I hinted at was, doesn't 3Watts of 100mW (ish) red single mode diodes combined through whatever constitute a multimode output?
    Good point. I would say yes.

The benifit of SM diodes is higher power per area on the emitter. Also, they usually have a more narrow raw divergence in the FA. This means you can have more power in the same diameter beam near or far field.

SM do have drawbacks. If you dont have perfect alignment of the many diodes you start to lose the gains of higher power density. They cost more and have more mechanical parts needed to build them. Also with all the knife edging you tent to get diffraction effect around the beam.

The main reason for this decision is the price. We try to stay competitive while delivering best possible (!) quality.
    Your biggest competitors are Eightonlight (lightspace), OPT and Goldenstar when it comes to price. Since they are in china where labour and materials hardly cost not nothing , good luck with that Eightonlight venus series are a straight copy from Kvant and they do 4.4 watt RGB with less then 1 mrd for 3000usd or so. The red is single mode so its better then multimode that is 100% sure.

There are many setups with single mode modules (especially with over 2W red) which are equal if not worse than a proper beam-corrected multimode setup. A singlemode setup CAN look good, but reality shows different results, most of them worse.
    All KORE diode modules are beam-corrected using cylindrical lenses. We state <1.2mrad (full angle). And we really mean the "less than".
    It totally depends on the brand. For example Arctos has 0.5-0.6mrd and is superthight. Able uses these modules in their projector. But able is more expencive then an Eightonlight.......

There will be KORE lasers in near future featuring single mode red diodes. This of course will be recognizable when seeing the price. It's all a question of price and what is worth what.
    Why do you want to offer single mode if (according to your statement earlier) your multimode is as good as most single modes? Its always a question what the customer wants to pay for it but price is not always the most important thing. What most important is that the customer gets a projector that does fit his purpose. If for example mick plans to do allot of graphics and logo projection you don,t offer a multimode setup since 1.2 mrd isn,t going to do the job. Low mrd will increase the brightness 2x or even more when comparing a 1 watt red/1.2mrd with a 1 watt/0.6mrd so bassically you can go with half the original power wich is allot cheaper since you need less red.

Hello edison!

Your biggest competitors are Eightonlight (lightspace), OPT and Goldenstar when it comes to price. Since they are in china where labour and materials hardly cost not nothing , good luck with that Eightonlight venus series are a straight copy from Kvant and they do 4.4 watt RGB with less then 1 mrd for 3000usd or so. The red is single mode so its better then multimode that is 100% sure.
    Sounds like you had some bad experience with manufacturing lasers in Europe by yourself and now you converted into a chinese manufacturing fanboy? Or at least one can read such stories...I don't judge.

It totally depends on the brand. For example Arctos has 0.5-0.6mrd and is superthight. Able uses these modules in their projector. But able is more expencive then an Eightonlight.......
    Yes it depends on the brand. I can only talk about my modules and the ones I've already seen. I don't want to mention any company's names, it seems like this is your part of our conversation. This is not my way of offending others

Why do you want to offer single mode if (according to your statement earlier) your multimode is as good as most single modes? Its always a question what the customer wants to pay for it but price is not always the most important thing. What most important is that the customer gets a projector that does fit his purpose. If for example mick plans to do allot of graphics and logo projection you don,t offer a multimode setup since 1.2 mrd isn,t going to do the job. Low mrd will increase the brightness 2x or even more when comparing a 1 watt red/1.2mrd with a 1 watt/0.6mrd so bassically you can go with half the original power wich is allot cheaper since you need less red.
    We will offer KORE with single mode for people who still think that they need single mode diodes in order to achieve good graphic performances (in this range of price, or at least with small additional costs). Maybe these KOREs will also be something for you?

There are still a lot of good reasons to buy lasers in Europe. And within Europe there are some huge differences even in the same price range regarding quality.

Kind regards,
    Andreas

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by DocEvilLasers View Post
    We will offer KORE with single mode for people who still think that they need single mode diodes in order to achieve good graphic performances (in this range of price, or at least with small additional costs). Maybe these KOREs will also be something for you?
    low power single mode diode systems are excellent for show programming.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.