Thread: Should I give a crap?

Default Should I give a crap?

So, I'm doing some scrim work at the next party for a regular client (who is also primarily a friend of the family for longer than we've been working together) and the advertising has gone out now proudly flashing the words 'holographic visuals'.
    I am acutely aware that they're not, but also aware that the general public readily accept the effect that is to referred as 'holographic' for what it is, and really aren't butt hurt about the fact its not an 'actual' hologram.
    So, do I accept that its just marketing speak in the current fad era, or do I advise him?

I will probably ask him not to use it in any future event publicity, but let this one go.

Is that the correct pragmatic viewpoint?

Eidetic probably doesn't need to respond....
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I advise him?

I will probably ask him not to use it in any future event publicity, but let this one go.
    That's probably the way I would go. Advertising costs money and he may have shelled out a fair amount at this point to go back and change it. You're right in that probably no one but a laser person will pick up on it.

Personally, I think it is OK. People know that holograms don't really exist, at least not like in Star Wars. It's just marketing speak. No worse than when you go to the fair and hear the barker saying you will see a girl turn into a gorilla. People don't go to parties just for the visuals anyway. People like crowds when it comes to parties so the more people it draws the better. They'll be drunk or on drugs anyway so what does it matter? So, yea, it's stretching the truth but I don't think it is an outright blatant lie. To some extent, I think it could be considered "holographic visuals", whatever that means. It isn't like he said there would be holograms there.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 11-22-2014 at 04:14.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't read people on here get up in arms over the misuse of the term. I can live with it
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Everyone can "live with it". "Butt hurt" comes from being f***ed in the ass professionally because of what's so casually referred to here as "marketing speak". It's ignorance at best, and fraud at worst. It's exactly the same as if someone referred to projection mapping as a "laser projections", and your potential clients went away because real laser projections couldn't live up to the hype and capabilities of that other technology. Or maybe some LED effects. Anyway, I appreciate the consideration, agree with Norty's solution, and hope the word gets passed along.
    Last edited by Eidetic; 11-28-2014 at 21:17.