Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a dark "video-friendly" projection screen...

Default Looking for a dark "video-friendly" projection screen...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dark material to use for a front-projection screen (not scan-thru scrim or rear-projection) that would clearly display laser graphics for both viewing and video recording?

I hope to record my semi-annual Christmas laser show this year, so I need to come up with a suitable screen ASAP.
    With the exception of scrim, I've always used a white backdrop in the past, which is OK for lasers-only, but really isn't suitable when other lights are used for the show.
    (And I use a LOT of different lights for my Christmas show!)

I'm looking for some material that would be available as a single (preferably) or sewn panel, roughly 8' x 6', that could be hung from a small truss system and anchored in the corners.
    Any suggestions for the material, color, finish, and a place to purchase (USA) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Check with Swami. I know Chris uses a black screen for all of his videos that he posts of the eye melty LSX abstract stuff. I forget the material he uses but I know it's available through photography places.

bhphotovideo and adorama are two good online photo supply stores. Look in to their backdrop sections once you get some advice from swami or others.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i project onto cheap flat black material (mostly i use a big piece of black velvet that came out of my photography light box).

i use a nikon d7000 with exposure and focus locked on manual and i shoot at iso 100, f20, 1/30th of a second exposure time and 30 fps.

your milage may vary, but that should be a reasonable start. if the video is too dim, change the f-stop to a smaller value, or increase the iso.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Appreciate all the info guys -
    Looks like I need to do a bit of online shopping at some photography centers!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Appreciate all the info guys -
    Looks like I need to do a bit of online shopping at some photography centers!
    just be careful not to burn holes in your backdrop.. in some of my videos you can see light leaking through an array of pin holes.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post

I hope to record my semi-annual Christmas laser show this year,
    Humm... when is your other Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    just be careful not to burn holes in your backdrop.. in some of my videos you can see light leaking through an array of pin holes.
    Point taken! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Humm... when is your other Christmas?
    Lets see ~
    There was the SELEM / Pangolin "Christmas in August" when I jumped in on the APC40 and a second QM.NET.
    Then there was the "Christmas in October" when I decided to take the plunge and invest in Light Converse (which I'm still learning, but is going to be VERY cool to use!!)

Then, of course, there's the Christmas at Christmas, when I try to convince my non-laser family and friends that they really do matter.

When the vacation schedule permits, the Randy's Garage "Christmas Lights & Lasers" shows takes place to drive home that last point ~
    And since we skipped the event LAST year, it seems to have gotten bigger for this year.

Unfortunately, my garage is still the same size - should be interesting...
    Last edited by Stuka; 12-01-2014 at 11:36.
    RR

Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

A 10-15% Grey matt paint works well.
    This is a white that has been "Greyed" by adding a flat black.
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if the video is too dim, change the f-stop to a smaller value, or increase the iso.
    I would definitely go with reducing the f-stop. At f/20 diffraction effects around the iris will reduce apparent sharpness. This may not matter for laser shows, but in general a lens' peak sharpness is a few stops down from wide open. My Canon L zoom glass appears sharpest between f/8 and f/10. Other lenses will vary. Wish my DSLR did video.