Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIG Welding - Any Experts Here?

Default TIG Welding - Any Experts Here?

Hi all

I would like to learn how to weld aluminium. I believe the best way to do this is with a TIG welder, this would also give versatility to weld other metals as well. Apparently TIG welding isn't easy (or so i'm told) and it's been suggested that I learn how to arc weld first. Being a bit of a 'dive in at the deep end' sort of person I see it as a bit of a waste of time and effort learning how to arc weld first. I would prefer just to get stuck into what I actually want to do and learn straight from there.

However, the first obstacle I have to overcome is what TIG welder to buy, there's just so much selection out there. I've read some stuff online and been told I need an inverter type preferably around 200amp. I've also been told to get an AC/DC model with pulse and also a foot pedal. I saw this one on eBay that seems to tick most of the boxes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDER-STA...item234074e438

Anyone here got any advice on what are good machines?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem
    I would agree that learning arc welding is a waste of time. Arc has only 2 common points with TIG. Its used to join metal by fusing and its powered by electricity.
    If you were to learn another discipline first I would say it would be gas welding, as with both you are melting a filler into the joint using a 'flame' provided by either burning gas or in the case of TIG provided by the plasma in the electric discharge.
    TIG however is the only form of welding I have not tried and is, Im sure a challenge but then so is gas or MIG welding. I think the problem with Ally is that the material itself can be 'interesting' to deal with. As TIG will weld stainless I would say you could start by learing how to TIG weld stainless first. Then once you have got the hang of how the welding process works you will be able to progress to ally while already knowing what you are doing with the machine and the general way it responds and you wont be trying to learn two things at once.
    Cant advise on the welder but maybe Smog is a good person to hit up on this as Im certain he can TIG and may know a little more than bugger all.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

The hand motions for gas welding are similar to TIG welding and a gas welding set-up is much less than a TIG welder that will weld aluminum.

You can also gas weld or braze aluminum.

https://www.tinmantech.com/

If your objective is just to learn how to TIG weld aluminum, you need a machine that has a high frequency AC capability. TIG welding with a DC machine is much more difficult and requires helium shield gas.

The size of the TIG welding depends on what you intend to weld and what thickness.

I would actually recommend learning how to TIG weld steel first. A DC inverter is much less expensive than a welder capable of welding aluminum.

Thanks guys, some very useful information/advice there
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I found this forum helpful when I was buying a mig welder. They also discuss tig welding.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/f...ig-welding.22/

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Moderately thick Aluminum can be brazed with the right gas torch, rod, and flux. I have a friend who brazes his own 19" rack chassis work. Worth looking into because TIG, while beautiful and ultra useful, can be a pain to acquire. The required work prep usually is very involved.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

You should ask this guy.. he does it for a living incase you want to find the best solutions. His favourite happens to be TIG welding: https://twitter.com/KevinCaronArt
    He also has a youtube page covering all kinds of welding, troubles you might come by and tips: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqT...bswxqYcG60VPGQ

Thanks everyone

lead burning is very similar to tig as well. I have just started doing tig at work. I have had no training on tig, however my experience gas made it pretty easy.
    As the boys have said I started on stainless. It would be good to study the theory so you know how to setup the machine and prep the work.

wheres alan when you need him?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat