Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilda Test Pattern ?

Angry Ilda Test Pattern ?

Hi again,

I have reset my PR scanners I got from Dave, not that they needed any adjustment in the first place, just thought I could improve on it. (to my own demise)

Well after 6 hours of adjustment I finally got them close to what they use to be. No here is the problematic part. I use Phoenix show controller to control my projector, it has a check hardware feature that can display the ILDA test patern so you can see if all hardware is running correctly. I used this check hardware to set the scan amps to propperly display the test patern.

So being releaved that I finally got it right, I ran a test show with Phoenix, thought I might add the ILDA test patern in the show aswell, and guess what, the ILDA test patern comes out horrible !!!

How the hell is that possible, using hardware check the ILDA patern looks correct, but displaying it in Phoenix show controller it comes out horrible, corners rounded, inner circle overdriven???

Really starting to hate Phoenix show controller...

Anybody has some idea's..

Werner

Hi Werner
    it would be my guess that the controller test is outputing at a different PPS ( points per second ) than the software ilda test pattern, maybe the hardware test is 12K and the software ilda test pattern is outputting at 30K .... if you have tuned your scanners using the 12K test pattern, it wont run well at 30K

hope you get it sorted mate

all the best ... Karl

Hi Karl hope you are well?

The sad thing is, the hardware check has the option of selecting the output PPS. I have selected it for 30k.

Thanks for your attempt though

Werner

Are the scan angles the same in each test?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Arghhh! do you have any other patterns besides ILDA to help you with the inital alignment, ie Laser Media Clone or Quadrature Square ?
    The LM Clone lets you get the x and y velocities equal before hopping onto the ILDA pattern for a final test. Quad square helps you find overshoot and damping. What angle does DT specify performance at ?

also read this

http://www.skywise711.com/lasers/reference.html

I have cambridge and GS tuning instructions there, thanks to Skywise for hosting them

MG thanks for CT 68xx manual. I need to tune up my galsov.

Hi werner,

If you could make it to the next PL get-together, I would be happy to examine and tune your scanners. I am pretty familiar with them, since they sent me a pair of each of their scanners for evaluation.

Also, as I look at pictures of test patterns shown by people on this forum, one thing occurs to me. The software that is being used MAY VERY WELL MATTER!! Phoenix, at it's heart, is what is known in the industry as "vector oriented" software. That is, that software expects the point data to be interpretted as end-points of a line, not as actual "samples" to be output directly to the scanner. The ILDA Test Pattern was made for systems that can display "point-oriented" imagery, where the points are sent directly to the scanner with no "interpolation" or other modification. There is a HUGE difference in exactly how the data within the test pattern is interpretted. If you try to adjust scanners while the ILDA Test Pattern is being interpreted and output as vector-oriented data, then you will never succeed, and will always make any problem worst.

I won't get into a long discussion here about the differences between point-oriented and vector-oriented, but suffice it to say that there is a fricken huge difference. These things are easier to discuss and illustrate in a face-to-face setting, where hands can be waved around and pictures can be drawn on the wall... Bring you gear to the next PL gathering and we will get it all tuned up and working as good as is possible

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi William,

Thank you for the great explanation, I do not think Phoenix themself knows this, as I have been in contact with them for the hole week with no resilution.

I would love to attend your PL meeting, for your information, I reside in South Africa and won't be able to attend.

Thank you for your time and trouble to explain what is happening to my scanners.

Werner

Lightbulb

I think my PRs may need a lil tuning. I finally got the math down and found 8 degrees and took a couple of pics...

Here is 8@30k

8@25 looks better, almost perfect...

8@12K

and what I like to watch music on the winamp, 30@16.5K

Luckily it is just an Oscope... If I had bigger room, I'd use a smaller angle. When I watch shows I like to go 18@25K... Which now that I look doesn't look too bad.

Last edited by allthatwhichis; 06-28-2007 at 01:41.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

WOOOOOOOW,

Looks great, you must be proud!

I would like to have some opinions here, just to be sure that I am on the right PLANET.
    Please read below the response I got from Phoenix Technical Help:

"Anyway my colleague told you that you have to adjust your scanners and that you also have to adjust the ScanParameters.

In most of the cases it works than.
    Other else there must be interpolated some points and the Pattern should be edited in PicEdit.

But as you can surely see it is possible with PHOENIX to make also a nice square.

Kind regards, Matjaz."

Does this guy even know what the ILDA test patern is and why you do not want to edit it totest your scanners set to a industry standard??

Or am I over reacting...

Werner