Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

DZ posted a couple flac files from his analog console. It's not ADAT but might be a start.

OK.

As long as I can open them in Audacity and export that as a multi-channel 16 bit signed integer wave file, that should be fine.

Where are they?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    I've tried to use laser boy. Ive seen it add extra "vertices" to files off an adat. Several people I've known thought the results sucked so bad regardless of optimization settings that they invested in other software options for wave to Ilda.

Laserboy is for the people that like to install Linux on their primary desktop computers and spend their lives fucking with settings instead of actually getting results.
    I'm really interested in following up on this comment.

I'd like to be sure that Laser Wizardry understands that LaserBoy comes with a Windows executable and can be compiled for Linux and Mac OSX.

I'd also like to be sure he understands the process from the output of a laser DAC to the inputs of a DC modified digital audio recorder (aka ADAT) to a hard drive transcription (aka wave file) to LaserBoy and what to expect as a result.

LB optimization settings have nothing to do with unformatted wave imports.

Other settings do however.

Perhaps we can sort that out here.

James.
    Last edited by james; 11-13-2015 at 12:41.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i think he was referring to the rainbow text interface.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I'm really interested in following up on this comment.

I'd like to be sure that Laser Wizardry understands that LaserBoy comes with a Windows executable and can be compiled for Linux and Mac OSX.

I'd also like to be sure he understands the process from the output of a laser DAC to the inputs of a DC modified digital audio recorder (aka ADAT) to a hard drive transcription (aka wave file) to LaserBoy and what to expect as a result.

LB optimization settings have nothing to do with unformatted wave imports.

Other settings do however.

Perhaps we can sort that out here.

James.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Laser Wizardry made a few specific statements that are just plain wrong.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and offer to show him the right way to do it and explain what to expect and why.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Where are they?
    IIRC somewhere in the 25 page long eye melty abstracts thread.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...bstracts-here/

Laser Wizardry made a few specific statements that are just plain wrong.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and offer to show him the right way to do it and explain what to expect and why.

James.
    cool.. maybe you could post a process document. or, better yet, a youtube video.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I guess I could use a show I did for First Night Akron 2004.

But I was hoping to work on some files that someone else made.

I'll try to write something up tomorrow.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

grab some of the z5 waves that dz posted.

I guess I could use a show I did for First Night Akron 2004.

But I was hoping to work on some files that someone else made.

I'll try to write something up tomorrow.

Do the z5 waves have any sort of frame information in them or are they just standard waveforms? If they are just waveforms then they can just be arbitrarily broken up into frames. You could use Dean Hammond's waveform generator if you want to experiment with those types of samples. But, I don't see a whole lot of value in that. The value is being able to take a frame based ADAT and convert that back to discrete frames that start and end where they should and the being able to remove or correct any color shifting and blanking that was added and encoded into the tape. The ultimate would be able to play back existing wave files, live, and be able to handle those color/blanking shifts in real time so that you could adjust them for your projector. For example, lets say they over compensating when recording so it isn't quite right for your projector. Can you decompensate and then adjust so that it looks nice on your projector? I have an ADAT wav file that has some really bad blanking issues when played back directly. I want to be able to play it and make adjustments to it so that it looks right without having to do any preprocessing. That is a stalled side project of mine, unfortunately.