Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Holy crap!

How far away do you usually sit from that monitor?

I recently upgraded to a 32" curved monitor, but I'm still running 1080P. I sit about 2.5 ft back from the screen and I still have to wear 1.25 X reading glasses. (Damn - getting old sucks!)

Adam
    Don't feel bad- I've worn prescription glasses all my adult life, but the power has changed a little over the years. I have a few pairs of military spectacles from 30 years ago that are now just perfect for computer distance. I have my driving glasses, TV glasses, computer glasses, yardwork glasses, and when I need to look close, none at all!
    Last edited by dchammonds; 11-30-2018 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It has always been like this, ever since the wtf file type was implemented.
    I guess I'm just getting foggy after so many years, or maybe I'm just blinded by my own expectation of what LB should do. I would expect LB to always save setting changes from the most recent session to a default file, namely LaserBoy.wtf, while still retaining the ability to store and retrieve a specific instance of settings to a user-named file.

I considered doing it like that and Heroic on this forum convinced me not to. I'm glad it is the way it is because I fiddle with the settings a lot and I'm glad I don't have to remember where I left it the last time I used it. It just comes up with settings I know and understand.

Here's an interesting thing you probably didn't know. Every time LaserBoy loads that file at startup, it immediately saves it in the most current version and the 13th item in the list is a runs counter. LB counts how many times it has run in its current installation.

Also, if you hit F3 anywhere in the menu system LB saves a bitmap capture of whatever is in its window in its root directory.
    Last edited by james; 11-30-2018 at 20:45.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Here's an interesting thing you probably didn't know. Every time LaserBoy loads that file at startup, it immediately saves it in the most current version
    Yeah, I knew that- that's why I thought it was attempting to save the current session settings when you exit. I still think it should leave everything 'as is' from the last session- if new settings are added in later versions they should appear later in the wtf file. You can always delete LaserBoy.wtf to get back to factory settings.

All of the settings are saved in the same order that they are declared in the LaserBoy_ space class. The first thing that is stored is the wtf version string. So as new settings are added, the application knows it's reading a previous version, gets all the settings that are there and saves it in the new version.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

It's been 15+ years since I started writing the LaserBoy code! I have to thank both keeperX ( Alec ) and DCHammons ( Dean ) for the most recent updates. I was looking for some significant reason to put out a 2018 version. Alec came up with the split ild into multiple ild idea because he found infinity2.ild in the PL free FTP area. The whole naming of the file thing became an issue with me; hence, the new subdirectories in the ild directory. Dean is just ...... well...... Dean. I don't know anyone else who can totally bust a system like Dean. He hit me with issues in the LaserBoy wtf switch settings that had nothing to do with how it actually works, but still, in fact, drew my attention to the Boolean value settings storage error... So I fixed that too. Thank you both!

Wow. 2018 is almost gone.

Open source is good!

Let's make it all better than it is now!

James.
    Last edited by james; 12-01-2018 at 22:45.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default Another nice font for LaserBoy!

In my research about the origins of certain "external" ILDA file palettes, I downloaded LFI Player and its source code.

In the distribution of the application I found that it had a nice simple vector font that is significantly different than the ones that are already included with LaserBoy.

Since LFI is also open source and under the GPL Licence I am offering it here in a slightly altered form.

http://laserboy.org/code/LFI_Vector_...r_LaserBoy.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LFI_Vector_Font.png  

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

In my research about the origins of certain "external" ILDA file palettes, I downloaded LFI Player and its source code.

In the distribution of the application I found that it had a nice simple vector font that is significantly different than the ones that are already included with LaserBoy.

Since LFI is also open source and under the GPL Licence I am offering it here in a slightly altered form.

http://laserboy.org/code/LFI_Vector_...r_LaserBoy.zip
    Very nice, james!

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Very nice, james!
    Well.... Thanks! But I didn't make it. I just messed with it a bit so it would work like the other LaserBoy fonts.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Well.... Thanks! But I didn't make it. I just messed with it a bit so it would work like the other LaserBoy fonts.
    I meant, your changes look nice, much nicer.