Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Gary, did you bother to look into the matter? Did you read anything at all about the different behavior of floating point math on different operating systems? Or was your whole point to just tell me I'm wrong? I feel the need to tell you that there is a whole world of computer science that exists outside of Microsoft.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_67_...omparison.html

has some great information on this. The articles it references give a really good background to the difficulties, and why there is no one size fits all silver bullet to solve it. It’s a case of working with what is best for the given situation.

Hope this helps! And don’t you love how tricky floating points can be at times!

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Cool. I will read this. Boost is good stuff.

Boost and STL are very important to my programming.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Gary, did you bother to look into the matter? Did you read anything at all about the different behavior of floating point math on different operating systems? Or was your whole point to just tell me I'm wrong? I feel the need to tell you that there is a whole world of computer science that exists outside of Microsoft.
    I didn't look into it other than trying the example you provided, which turned out to be opposite of what you said. If you have another example that will demonstrate this I will try it out. I've never had issues with floating point in Windows so was surprised when you mentioned it. But, you are a Microsoft/Windows basher so I wanted to see if you were right or wrong. I'm not going to read about it because it works for me and I know that Windows doesn't have a math library. It uses a runtime that comes with whatever compiler you use.

No problem. And I agree on how useful Boost and the STL are to C++.

it wasn’t until I got into some safety calculation code, I realised how awkward floating points can be at times. You can be taught in the classroom, or told about this stuff, but it’s not until you experience the issues in practice, you realise how significant it can be.

Happy reading...

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Wow. You didn't look into it at all. That's really open-minded for a professional software developer.

I could send you two different examples of compiled LaserBoy; one that works as expected and one that fails, (the only difference being a couple of compiler switches) but I don't see any point in that.

So if you don't know about it, it doesn't exist. Right?

I'm going to have to give you negative zero point zero points on that one.
    Last edited by james; 03-06-2019 at 15:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I have worked with and written software for a variety of different operating systems, like MS DOS and Windows from 3.1 to present, OS/2, Solaris, the free BSD variations, Linux and some embedded stuff. That's all been within the past 25 years. Before that I worked with almost all of the popular "home computer" offerings since about 1979. My goal has always been to know as much about it as I can. So I took every opportunity to see computer science from every different point of view I could get to. Once I saw UNIX, that was it. I immediately recognized that this is the way to do it. It's not just an operating system. It's a way to conceptualize computers; what they do and how they do it. You cannot make an informed statement on how Microsoft is or isn't complying with solid concepts of computer science until you know something other than Microsoft. Linux has been free and available since around 1994 or so. It is so freaking easy to get to these days it's ridiculous. Mac OSX is Berkeley UNIX. Android is a child of Linux. Pretty much every operating system of note these days is derived from the roots of UNIX.

Except Microsoft.

Why?

You tell me, Gary.
    Last edited by james; 03-06-2019 at 17:29.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

That's simple. It was a bad example. If you are really interested in the issue rather than just telling me I'm wrong, look into it. There are test code sets you can experiment with yourself. DCHammonds tells me there is a setting in Visual Basic that changes the floating point mode of the CPU / FPU. So what is that for?
    Here's a short article on the subject...

http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/18454

Thank you Dean.

You are the yin to my yang.

Love you.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Thank you Dean.

You are the yin to my yang.

Love you.
    As I mentioned earlier, these are compiler options. Not O/S options. I am not sure why you can't see that.