Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

I just used cloc to check the metrics on the LaserBoy source code.

http://cloc.sourceforge.net/

12 / 07 / 2018 has 45,979 lines of active C++ code.

03 / 20 / 2019 has 55,554!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

This is what I was working on while I was figuring out 3D vector clipping and the 3D centroid.

Unfortunately this photo doesn't look at all like the real thing. The colors in the real thing are WAY brighter and more saturated.

It's 3 feet wide by 4 feet tall, acrylic paint on canvas.

James.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0090.JPG  

Last edited by james; 03-23-2019 at 10:28.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Has anyone tried out the new normalizing functions in LaserBoy?

If you go into menu h and check out option 8

normalize vectors % to space

Depending on the setting in the x menu, option 6

you can either normalize with the origin (the literal point 0, 0, 0) or you can normalize to the rectangular center of the set of vectors (itself).

If you normalize to itself, the rectangular center of the vector set is moved to the origin (centered).

You can specify a final vector set size as a percentage of the size of space itself (65536 points in all axis).

If you say 50%, you'll get something that will be 1/8th of the volume of space (half the size in all three dimensions).

It doesn't matter what size your vector sets are. When you normalize them, you make them a specific size. The percentage you enter has nothing to do with the change in size from the original to the normalized.

You can normalize a single frame with the 8 key in menu h or you can normalize the whole frame set with * (shift 8).

If you choose to normalize the whole set, there are two ways to do that (for both with origin or on itself),

By default LaserBoy will look at the whole frame set as one very large set of vectors and do the normalization on the whole thing. The size of every frame might change, but the relative sizes of the frames to each other is intact.

Another way to do it, that can produce some interesting effects it to normalize each frame independently from the others.

If you have a set of frames that is an animation of a relatively small object moving around (but not changing size), and you normalize every frame to itself, it's like the camera is following the moving object, because the center of the object is always moved to the origin (center) of space.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

It seems like there are way more people interested in laser display now that projectors are very inexpensive, but fewer daily posts here on the PL, and dare I say it; they're not quite as interesting as they were 13 years ago. What's up with that?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It seems like there are way more people interested in laser display now that projectors are very inexpensive, but fewer daily posts here on the PL, and dare I say it; they're not quite as interesting as they were 13 years ago. What's up with that?
    From a DIY point of view nothing interesting has been happening lately. When I first got into this, prices were dropping rapidly on galvos and new laser diodes made it affordable to build your own stuff. Even before that Norm and Chan (Elm) were doing some really cool stuff that lead people here. People came here and shared that information. There isn't much to share these days. Prices have stabilized for the most part. Software innovation has stagnated. What's there to talk about? Is anything interesting happening at ILDA?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Is anything interesting happening at ILDA?
    What's ILDA?

Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's because everyone's on Snapface or Instachat or whatever nowadays.
    Get with the times!

Where the hell is the "like" button?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Is this the same "Laserboy"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laserboy Pin.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	55352

No. There are a few different ones out there. Some are performers. There is even a software company called Laser Boy.

Usually it is two words or one word without the capital B.

That's the first time I've see it written in camel case like I do it.

LaserBoy.

The name came from my nickname for Steve Roberts who was the one who came to me to ask to help him make a show for First Night Akron 2004.

Let's just say that didn't work out very well.

But that was the beginning of the code that is now called LaserBoy.

Since it is eight characters it fits perfectly into the ILDA file section header for owner.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials