Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: The LaserBoy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I just replaced my LaserBoy_pendulum class with the new LaserBoy_oscillator class!

The pendulum was based only on the sin function, so it could only make circular arcs.

Now I have a class that has amplitude, frequency, phase, duty_cycle, damping and offset.

It gives me values based on time for sin, ramp and square waves!

Plus it has a sin_level, ramp_level and square_level so these waves can be mixed and still maintain a consistent amplitude.

I have worked oscillators into all the places where the pendulum class was used before in the text math rendering stuff.

I still have some work to do, but this video is just one oscillator on the y axis.

https:laserboy.org/oscillator.mp4
    Very Nice! Now I love that.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Very Nice! Now I love that.
    Thanks.

I think I'm on the right track as far as adding an adjustable duty cycle on the sin wave.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Thanks.

I think I'm on the right track as far as adding an adjustable duty cycle on the sin wave.
    Is this what you're looking for?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Is this what you're looking for?
    I like that a lot.

It has nice symmetry.

The approach I took was quite different. I used the same formula that I used for negative and positive acceleration using _e_ with an exponent that starts negative and moves up to zero. I multiply my x value with that. It skews the linearity but it still comes out to a period of zero to 2pi.

I still have some ideas about maybe rotating points in the sin wave from the center point (pi , 0) progressively based on the amplitude of the point.

There is no right way to do it, because there is no such thing as a sin wave with a duty cycle of anything other than 50/50.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

OK. So I figured out the variable duty cycle for sin.

So here it is for sin, ramp, square and mix (1/3 of each).

First it shows the output over the interval 0 to 4pi (2 cycles).

Then it shows two oscillators in XY mode 90 degrees out of phase with a damping factor (loss of amplitude over time).

In the XY mode, the duty cycles of both oscillators are changing by the same amount and the frequency of both are set to 1.0. They don't have to be the same. So there are an infinite number of possibilities for different shapes.

https://laserboy.org/duty_cycle.mp4
    https://laserboy.org/code/safe/stabl...0_new_math.txt
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Hi James. I believe we have spoken in the past regarding how to use LaserBoy to convert XY data stored in a .wav file into frames, but I can't remember what the upshot was. As you may be aware from my posts on other threads, I have restored the hardware of a couple of the original Laser Images cycloid generators. It would be useful to be able to capture and convert the output of these devices for inclusion in a timeline based show.

Any thoughts on either of these two issues:

1) How to capture an XY signal as a .wav (or other format) file while preserving the DC component of the signals?

2) How LaserBoy can be used to process raw XY data into frames for export?

I have no idea about the cycloid generator circuits you have, but it is possible that there is no DC offset. If that is the case then all you need is a couple of 100K audio taper pots to attenuate the signals before you plug them into the line level inputs of a standard computer sound device. That way you can bring down the levels so they don't clip in the recording.

If there is a DC offset, then you need a sound device that is capable of recording DC. There are some studio devices that come that way by design. Other than that, you would need to find a device that you could modify by bypassing the capacitors that are in series with the ADC.

I guess there are no color modulation signals to deal with, so that makes it a lot easier.

Once you have a wave recording of XY, then you put it into the .../LaserBoy/wav/unformatted/ folder and open it into LaserBoy. If it's only stereo, you will get vector art that is all white and has no blanking. In the [Tab] menu, you can set the number of samples of the wave that will end up in each frame. In menu u (from main) you can set the vector display to show you time in place of the Z axis. So you can rotate the frame view and see the order of the vectors as they are drawn into each frame. So you can see how many iterations of your pattern you have captured in each frame. This will allow you to estimate the best number of samples per frame, so that each frame is about one iteration of the pattern. Each time you change the number of samples to put into each frame, you have to re-import the wave to get that. So, if your wave is very large, you should open it in Audacity or some other wave editor and chop out a smaller piece just for testing purposes. Then when you have it all figured out, you can import the whole thing into LaserBoy. It can take a while. It might stall because your computer starts to need virtual memory. But I can tell you from experience, that I have opened 6 channel waves from ADAT recordings that are about an hour long at 48KHz. That a lot of data! But it works.

Please let me know how things are going. See about the DC offset thing. I can ask around to find out what the best solution is if you have DC offset.
    Last edited by james; 12-31-2020 at 08:52.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Any thoughts on either of these two issues:

1) How to capture an XY signal as a .wav (or other format) file while preserving the DC component of the signals?

2) How LaserBoy can be used to process raw XY data into frames for export?
    Soundcards can be modified to record bipolar DC just as they can for playback of the same. All you need is a circuit
    that sums an adjustable DC offset together with your input signal.

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Soundcards can be modified to record bipolar DC just as they can for playback of the same. All you need is a circuit
    that sums an adjustable DC offset together with your input signal.
    dc, are you essentially saying that soundcards will record bi-polar or uni-polar DC voltages if presented to their stereo inputs? Or stated another way, if an AC XY signal with a DC offset is presented to the input of a soundcard it will faithfully record it? I have to admit I've never tried it, so I don't know. It sounds like the summing circuit you describe is pre-soundcard input. Can you clarify.

For James:
    I have some 15ips 1/4 track tape recordings of XY signals (no DC component) that I've converted to wav files that I'd like to try with Laserboy. My impression is that Laserboy has the ability to tweak the phase difference between the X and Y signals. Am I correct, James?

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    dc, are you essentially saying that soundcards will record bi-polar or uni-polar DC voltages if presented to their stereo inputs? Or stated another way, if an AC XY signal with a DC offset is presented to the input of a soundcard it will faithfully record it? I have to admit I've never tried it, so I don't know. It sounds like the summing circuit you describe is pre-soundcard input. Can you clarify.
    Yes, the summing circuit is pre-soundcard in and bears some similarity to what you would use for modified soundcard output.